Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTFzb3Lpj4
Stranger Danger
I'm a teapot

Loc: India
Are these contaminants or bruising/metabolites?
    #25882968 - 03/19/19 01:06 AM (2 months, 30 days ago)

Hello,

I have three tubs total but have two that show something concerning. It is my first grow so I just want to be sure they are what I think/hope they are. My hope is bruising (possibly due to spraying the section it was in so closely and vigorously) in the first tub and metabolites in the second.

Here is the blue piece:

And then in another tub (and this is harder to see via the camera but was definitely a small puddle of yellow liquid that I could dab up with a tissue):

--------------------
:mushroom2: If I give incorrect or inaccurate advice, please let me know and I'll edit my post so as to not perpetuate bad information. I just want to help and learn. :mushroom2:

:crazy2: I removed ratings even though I only had exactly one and it was +5. Realizing this system was in place gave me anxiety. Way too much pressure to be liked by everyone. :crazy2:

Edited by TFzb3Lpj4 (03/20/19 07:26 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTFzb3Lpj4
Stranger Danger
I'm a teapot

Re: Are these contaminants or bruising/metabolites? [Re: TFzb3Lpj4]
    #25885438 - 03/20/19 10:00 AM (2 months, 29 days ago)

As an update, after closer examination, I believe these tubs were perfectly fine. So if you see something similar to the pictures above you should be okay. I'll update this thread again if that changes. *Still waiting on pins*

--------------------
:mushroom2: If I give incorrect or inaccurate advice, please let me know and I'll edit my post so as to not perpetuate bad information. I just want to help and learn. :mushroom2:

:crazy2: I removed ratings even though I only had exactly one and it was +5. Realizing this system was in place gave me anxiety. Way too much pressure to be liked by everyone. :crazy2:

Invisiblenix21
Stranger

#25885671 - 03/20/19 12:05 PM (2 months, 29 days ago)

1st picture looks like bruising.. look for the powdery texture not just colour to detect mold. if you mist your tub you should stop it.. probably bruising because of misting or presence of bacteria

2nd and 3rd picture obvious bacteria.. good luck with that.. no need to toss because of bacteria, but mold will appear easily on bacteria spots.. then its time for toss..

didn't see you said its liquid form on 2nd and 3rd.. in that case metabolites, again probably because of bacteria.. any funky smell?.. btw i' dont see any holes.. what kind of FC are you using? also did you go agar>grain or ms syringe>grain?

Edited by nix21 (03/20/19 12:11 PM)

InvisibleTFzb3Lpj4
Stranger Danger
I'm a teapot

Re: Are these contaminants or bruising/metabolites? [Re: nix21]
    #25885887 - 03/20/19 02:11 PM (2 months, 29 days ago)

Hey thanks for dropping by the thread and helping me out. I'm doing bod's unmodified monotub tek so no holes for me.

With respect to FC, I have three tubs and I started with two bricks of coir so 1300 g (I did weigh it and it was close enough). I multiplied that by 5 to get the # of quarts to put in so it was 6.5 qts. So after it was mixed I just separated it out as evenly as I could between the three tubs so FC per tub is ~2.2 qt.
I think I did those calcs right, let me know if not.

Also, I'm using 32 qt tubs and I used 4 x 1 quart jars full of spawn per tub. I'm actually unsure what the recommended ratio is between spawn and FC. Do you know that offhand?

--------------------

Edited by TFzb3Lpj4 (03/20/19 02:12 PM)

InvisibleTFzb3Lpj4
Stranger Danger
I'm a teapot

#25889804 - 03/22/19 09:29 AM (2 months, 27 days ago)

Quote:

nix21 said:
1st picture looks like bruising.. look for the powdery texture not just colour to detect mold. if you mist your tub you should stop it.. probably bruising because of misting or presence of bacteria

2nd and 3rd picture obvious bacteria.. good luck with that.. no need to toss because of bacteria, but mold will appear easily on bacteria spots.. then its time for toss..

didn't see you said its liquid form on 2nd and 3rd.. in that case metabolites, again probably because of bacteria.. any funky smell?.. btw i' dont see any holes.. what kind of FC are you using? also did you go agar>grain or ms syringe>grain?

It wasn't until now that I realized I didn't answer your questions. I did ms -> grain. And all totes smell great. I really think I'm good at this point. I was just being a nervous nelly.

--------------------

Invisiblenix21
Stranger

#25890067 - 03/22/19 11:42 AM (2 months, 27 days ago)

Be sure you have some bacteria there, but if you see no mold you are good to continue.. if you see little water bubbles on your substrate surface don't mist.. mist only if needed (if dry)

Offlineterrapinmcmuffin
Stranger
    #25891053 - 03/22/19 09:42 PM (2 months, 27 days ago)

The yellowing may just be metabolites. I’ve had similar coloring on lion’s mane with no issues fruiting.

InvisibleTFzb3Lpj4
Stranger Danger
I'm a teapot

Re: Are these contaminants or bruising/metabolites? [Re: terrapinmcmuffin]
    #25892032 - 03/23/19 12:17 PM (2 months, 26 days ago)

It smelled okay but I didn't want to risk it. I ended up tossing 6 jars out of 33.

^ Thought I was commenting on a different thread. These tubs are still going strong.

--------------------

Edited by TFzb3Lpj4 (03/23/19 12:24 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum