Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop for:   eBay Lighters   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
Subbalteatus??
    #2588238 - 04/21/04 09:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Hi there!

While i was walking out of my university today, i found these on a new lawn they planted last fall.

(Sorry for bad quality. The pics were taken with my cell phone that has a digital camera incorporated.)

Well, they look just like the pics of the pan subbs i see here all the time. But also like the Panaeolina foenisecii pics i've seen.

And they match "Safe-Pik Mushroom Identification Guide" and "Field Guide to the Psilocybin Mushrooms" descriptions of Subbalteatus.

Cap is light brown, darker brown ring around the edges.
Stem is reddish brown, hollow.
Gills are dark brown.
Spore print black.

I scanned one of the prints and one of the caps of the mushrooms i picked, here they are.

The cap.

gills

spore print

(sorry once again for image quality. Have to get me a decent digicam.)

So are these really pans, or just that inactive Panaeolina foenisecii lookalike?

Thanks a lot!  :laugh:

edit: Oh don't know if this helps but i'm in lisbon, Portugal and it has been like 10 - 20? C(average during day 13-17?), with scarse rain over the last few days.

Edited by esin (04/21/04 09:44 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
Re: Subbalteatus?? [Re: esin]
    #2588327 - 04/21/04 09:49 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Mm. Nice spore print photo. The one on the lawn is seriously blurry. Anyways, Did you notice any bluing at the base of the stems mycelium?

It's hard to say they are positively Subbalteatus, they could possibly be another Panaeolus species. But definately Panaeolus judging from the spore color. Also: The black spore color does rule out Panaeolina species such as foenisecii.

Thank you for sharing, hopefully we can help you get to the bottom of what they are exactly, esin, and kudos on doing the research first before posting and using mushroom Johns website there.

Keep shroomin,
GG

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Re: Subbalteatus?? [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #2588479 - 04/21/04 10:22 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

The spore print was scanned in a scanner it's not a photo. That's why it's so clear, unlike the lawn pic.

Well, they show a dark bruising, i can't say it is blue though. Just a lot darker than the usual brown. And it's more on the top parts of the stem, where i held them to remove the cap. The bottom doesn't seem to bruise much.

If i see there are a lot of them tomorrow, i'll take my real camera, take some pics, get them developed and post them here.

Are there any panaeolus species that are toxic?
Do you think it would it be safe to bioassay them to find out if they are active?

Thanks for your help GGreatOne234!  :sun:

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2589420 - 04/22/04 01:48 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I would say those are NOT P. subbalteatus, most likely an inactive variant of P. foenescii.

OfflineThatDaltonGuy
PermanentlyFried
Loc: USA
    #2589647 - 04/22/04 03:00 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

the print obviously is dark, but i dont think black... it looks more dark brown... anyone else see the brown tinge? and as angryshroom said... i too dont think thats a subb... i found a buncha panaeolous foenisecii (haymaker shrooms) today and they look quite similar although yours are of alot bigger size... i wouldnt suggest eating them... maybe preserve them and have a mushroom friend help you out...

good luck!

--------------------
Let me remind you that the above text is completely false and has been typed to you by an escaped mental patient and shouldn't be taken seriously unless you yourself also have a mental condition. These kind of things need to be taken into consideration by those viewing these threads.

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Re: Subbalteatus?? [Re: ThatDaltonGuy]
    #2590149 - 04/22/04 09:56 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well, the prints look black to me. At least to my eyes there are no brown traces there. Maybe greyish in the lighter areas of the print but that's probably b/c the paper is white.

The darker ring around the edges of the cap has dissapeared today, now they just look like LBM's.

Well, i won't eat them, though. I'm not going to risk it as there are no mushroom hunters in my area that i know of.
Only growers and they can't teach me more than i already know, as i've been a grower in the past too, and a better one at that IMHO.

Maybe someday i'll find some that bruise blue :smile: Than i can be sure.

I was getting excited thinking i would finaly have some mushrooms again. Last time i had some was almost a year ago.
Well, once again i will have to revisit good old lsd next time i want to trip. Fortunately i don't need an ID for that :wink:

Thanks a lot for the good help, Angryshroom and DaltonGuy :laugh:!

Edited by esin (04/22/04 10:04 AM)

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2590952 - 04/22/04 02:16 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well,
whats the size of these mushrooms? The subbalteatus which I find are much bigger than foenisceii.

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2590958 - 04/22/04 02:17 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

InvisibleStipe
Hunter -Gatherer

#2591056 - 04/22/04 02:51 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Chances are you've got foenisecii but if you find any more take a picture with them next to a lighter or something to give some idea of scale.

If you look at angryshroom's pics the stems are more robust than foenisecii.

Happy hunting

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Re: Subbalteatus?? [Re: Stipe]
    #2591397 - 04/22/04 04:29 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well, the stems on my mushrooms do indeed look less robust than the ones on AngryShroom's pics.
Right now they have already dried to the width of very fine wheat straw (average one tenth of an inch of width), and they have turned a very dark color.

About the size, well if that BIC lighter on your pic is one of the small kind, than well my mushrooms are more or less the same size scale.
If it's one of the big ones, well than my mushrooms are smaller.

The mushrooms i got:

lenght of the stems- smaller one has 1 inch, bigger one has 2,3 inches (these measures were taken with the stems dried)

diameter of the caps- smaller one 1/4 of an inch, bigger one has 0.8 inch diameter (also the caps today are a bit dried and shriveled so it may have been a couple mm bigger)

Smallest mushroom was obviously not mature yet.

I couldn't quite look for more when i went there today b/c there was a lot of people around at the time. And most people from my university are against drugs.

I'm thinking about going there tomorrow at a better time, with my camera. If i can i'll take better pics with some size reference to let you figure out the size and robustness.

Thanks! :smile:

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
    #2591466 - 04/22/04 04:49 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

the cap is A little light,, the gills should be a little meatier,,, I think,,
Get a good picture of the stem and stem base.... and more cap and gill pics on your next specimens....

I found east coast foenisecii last year,, ate a few small ones,,
and noticed visual distortions.... and a slight glow...

No matter what anyone else tells me...

Found them in my friend's yard,,, right before he mowed....search Mitchnasts post's fort pan subbs... He has some good pictures... to compare.....

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop for:   eBay Lighters   Amazon Scales

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification