Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Bridgetown Botanicals Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Mudras
    #25878428 - 03/16/19 05:24 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Are they purely symbolic, or is there some deeper meaning? If symbolic, knowing that they are, is there any point in using them?

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free."
~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblelife is good
Sun and sky and trees
Female User Gallery

Re: Mudras [Re: Rahz]
    #25878519 - 03/16/19 06:02 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

We were talking about Sanaka, Sananda, Sanatkumara and Sanasujata. Datta. Siva was observing all this. Concerned that they, who came seeking knowledge, had to unfairly leave because they witnessed the illusion and succumbed to it, Siva manifested a new form from his lower region and appeared before them with brilliant effulgence as Dakshinamurti while they were on their way. He closed his right fist, slowly raised his little finger, ring finger and middle finger, brought the tips of the index finger and thumb together and showed them the Chin Mudra. That is it. The three raised fingers here indicate the three states of Jagrut (wakefulness), Svapna (dream), Sushupti (deep sleep). The index finger and the thumb together are representing Atma Tattva or Turya Avastha (the fourth state). In other words, they indicate the state that is beyond the three states. The three fingers sometimes also represent the three bodies (gross, subtle causal).

Forgetting these bodies, leaving the three bodies, the Atman merges with Paramatman (meaning of the Mudra). The inner meaning is that those who go beyond the three states and reach the fourth state of Turya, the state of Paramatman (represented by the thumb) will achieve complete knowledge or self-realization. This incarnation of Siva is Dakshinamurti. With just that Mudra, the Lord taught them everything. He did not talk, nor did he spend days on end.

I prostrate to Dakshinamurti, who is sitting under the Banyan tree, who grants knowledge to all the sages, who has the ability to remove the sorrows caused by life and death, who is the Guru to the three worlds.

https://dattavani.org/pravachana-malika/datta-vaakya/sri-guru-gita-etv/

Each mudra has a great significance and ability to change the life of the person. Joining the hands together as in namaskara is known as anjaliputa mudra. This resembles a lotus that is not yet bloomed. We are showing this lotus to the Lord. The 10 fingers represent the 10 directions i.e. 8 direction + urdhva and athava lokas. We tell Him that all the directions are in His control (adheena) and hence we do not know his exact location at that time. ‘Wherever You are, I offer you my obeisance’- is the intent behind this mudra. You, who reside in the 10 directions, I offer you 10 namaskaras – daśa prachir dasa .. rudram.

This mudra is of immense power. With this our doshas disappear and we are blessed with jnana. In this mudra, 8 fingers are pointed upwards and two fingers are pointed toward our self. our intellect is focusing upwards (urdhva). It means that the jnana from higher lokas is flowing into us through this medium/ mudra. Jnana is being transmitted into us.

https://dattavani.org/chaturmasya-pravachanam/chaturmasyam-2014/sivananda-lahari/day-13-shivananda/

--------------------

I didn't draw this.

"Hope your day is as wonderful, loving, and kind as you are."
:heart:

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25878541 - 03/16/19 06:13 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

not an expert.
They do have symbolic meaning.
and knowing the meaning helps understand buddhist & hindu art.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mudras+in+tibetan+art&ia=web
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mudras+in+tibetan+art&iax=images&ia=images

Even the hand position in meditation is a mudra.

if you're interested I'm sure you can find the info online, as well as in books.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mudras+and+their+meanings&iax=images&ia=images
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mudras+and+their+meanings&ia=web

From a Zen point of view of course, its not something to get caught up in
So more related to Yoga, Hinduism, & Tibetan Buddhism.

In pranayama, during alternate nostril breathing, a mudra is used.
In this case it seems natural & practical.

That's about all I know on the subject.
I doubt they actually do much,
unless you believe in them, which might be form of self hypnosis.

Invisiblelife is good
Sun and sky and trees
Female User Gallery

#25878551 - 03/16/19 06:17 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

They do a lot.

--------------------

I didn't draw this.

Invisiblelife is good
Sun and sky and trees
Female User Gallery

Re: Mudras [Re: life is good]
    #25878554 - 03/16/19 06:18 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Yogapedia explains Ganesha Mudra
https://www.yogapedia.com/definition/6873/ganesha-mudra

Ganesh, as well as being the “remover of obstacles” is said to sometimes place obstacles in one's path so that he/she can gain strength by overcoming them. The Ganesha mudra, therefore, is considered energetically and physically strengthening for the heart.

It is said that for maximum benefits, Ganesha mudra should be practiced daily up to five or six times, while focusing on Ganesh and the symbolism of this mudra. It might be particularly useful when one is tired or troubled. It can be performed as part of a meditation or pranayama practice.

Ganesha mudra is also associated with the element of fire. As such, it is said to help stimulate the metabolism and digestion. It is linked to the anahata chakra and is considered a heart-opening practice. Some say that they experience strong feelings of warmth and brightness in the heart area when practicing this mudra. This can be very good for those suffering from heartache, depression or feelings of heaviness and sadness. It is said to bring the courage to approach life with an open heart.

Physically, Ganesha mudra is also good for strengthening the muscles of the arms, chest and shoulders. It is said to release tension in these areas and even to open the bronchial tubes and lungs.

Ganesha mudra is a yogic hand gesture, which helps the practitioner to connect to and awaken the energy within. The term is so named after the Hindu god Ganesh, who is considered the remover of obstacles. As such, practicing the Ganesha mudra is said to bring about self-confidence and the courage to overcome anything that is holding one back.

Ganesha mudra is practiced by placing the left hand in front of the chest, palm out, and grasping the left hand with the right hand. The hands stay at the level of the heart as they are energetically pulled apart without releasing the grip.

--------------------

I didn't draw this.

Invisiblelife is good
Sun and sky and trees
Female User Gallery

Re: Mudras [Re: life is good]
    #25878558 - 03/16/19 06:19 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry that pic was bigger than I was expecting.

--------------------

I didn't draw this.

InvisiblePocketLady
 User Gallery

Re: Mudras [Re: Rahz] * 1
    #25879102 - 03/16/19 11:57 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Mudras are similar to mantras in that they allow a person to work with subtle energy in particular ways. One of the main reasons for holding a mudra during meditation is to effect the way the energy flows through the channels and meridians of the body. Depending on your intention for the meditation, you might hold different types of mudras. You might hold a basic mudra like Gyana mudra which makes it easier to get into a meditative state, for example.

--------------------
Love is from the infinite, and will remain until eternity.
The seeker of love escapes the chains of birth and death.
Tomorrow, when resurrection comes,
The heart that is not in love will fail the test.

~ Rumi

The day we start giving Love instead of seeking Love, we will have re-written our whole destiny.
~ Swami Chinmayanada Saraswatir

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Mudras [Re: PocketLady]
    #25879550 - 03/17/19 08:19 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

a) sign language
b) symbolism
c) motif reflection (i.e associated meanings - more personal and fundamental than sign language)
d) mood generative (energy resonance)

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineMental Slavery
Eternally Confused
 User Gallery

Re: Mudras [Re: PocketLady] * 1
    #25882204 - 03/18/19 03:45 PM (5 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

PocketLady said:
Mudras are similar to mantras in that they allow a person to work with subtle energy in particular ways. One of the main reasons for holding a mudra during meditation is to effect the way the energy flows through the channels and meridians of the body. Depending on your intention for the meditation, you might hold different types of mudras. You might hold a basic mudra like Gyana mudra which makes it easier to get into a meditative state, for example.

agreed. some mudras create energetic circuits which affect the flow of subtle energy (prana, qi, ki, whatever you wanna call it). This change in flow can do many things from making your breath deeper, to providing better focus, to raising ecstatic conductivity of the nervous system. Imo the symbolism is just extra added on, not the aspect of real importance

Edited by Mental Slavery (03/18/19 05:19 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Mudras [Re: Mental Slavery]
    #25882438 - 03/18/19 06:14 PM (5 years, 30 days ago)

rather than calling them circuits, I would just call them sustained patterns of sensation.
nearly anything like that (with a clear sustained pattern) is a valid object for yogic meditation, and is likely to be satisfying in that way.
I would not subscribe to any other significant meanings, except while deciphering ancient carvings and paintings in which they are used as a sign-language.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisiblesudly
Quasar Praiser

#25883030 - 03/19/19 03:25 AM (5 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Rahz said:
Are they purely symbolic, or is there some deeper meaning? If symbolic, knowing that they are, is there any point in using them?

They can be effective at boosting someone's mood, it's like any sort of dancing when you get into it.

--------------------
I am whatever Darwin needs me to be.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Bridgetown Botanicals Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals