Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSizlChest
Padawan
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas Flag
Scientists Reveal a Multidimensional Universe Inside the Brain
    #25877394 - 03/16/19 07:42 AM (5 years, 13 days ago)

Scientists have found the Human Brain can create structures in up to 11 dimensions
A study published in Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience has revealed that the human brain’s structures operate in up to 11 dimensions.

Conducted by the Blue Brain Project, scientists discovered fascinating new details about the complexity of the human brain.

“We found a world that we had never imagined,” explained neuroscientist Henry Markram, director of Blue Brain Project and professor at the EPFL in Lausanne, Switzerland.
“There are tens of millions of these objects even in a small speck of the brain, up through seven dimensions. In some networks, we even found structures with up to eleven dimensions,” Markram added.

By studying the human brain, researchers discovered that traditional mathematical views were not applicable and ineffective.
“The mathematics usually applied to study networks cannot detect the high-dimensional structures and spaces that we now see clearly,” Markram revealed.

Instead, scientists decided to give algebraic topology a go.

Algebraic topology is a branch of mathematics that uses tools from abstract algebra to study topological spaces.

Scientists from the Blue Brain Project were assisted by mathematicians Kathryn Hess from EPFL and Ran Levi from Aberdeen University in applying this discipline in their new study.

“Algebraic topology is like a telescope and microscope at the same time. It can zoom into networks to find hidden structures – the trees in the forest – and see the empty spaces – the clearings – all at the same time,” explained professor Hess.

The Human Brain can create structures in up to 11 dimensions
The scientists discovered that the structures inside the brain are created when a group of neurons – cells that transmit signals in the brain – form something referred to as a clique. Each neuron is connected to every other neuron in the group in a unique way, creating a new object. The more neurons there are in a clique, the higher the ‘dimension’ of the object.

Algebraic topography allowed the scientists to model the structures within a virtual brain, created with the help of computers. They then carried out experiments on real brain tissue, in order to verify their results.

By adding stimuli into the virtual brain, the researchers found that cliques of progressively HIGHER dimensions assembled. Furthermore, in between the cliques, scientists discovered cavities.

“The appearance of high-dimensional cavities when the brain is processing information means that the neurons in the network react to stimuli in an extremely organized manner,” explained Levi.

“It is as if the brain reacts to a stimulus by building then razing a tower of multi-dimensional blocks, starting with rods (1D), then planks (2D), then cubes (3D), and then more complex geometries with 4D, 5D, etc.”

“The progression of activity through the brain resembles a multi-dimensional sandcastle that materializes out of the sand and then disintegrates,” he added.

The new data about the human brain offers unprecedented insight into how the human brain processes information.

However, the scientists have said that it still remains unclear as to how the cliques and cavities form in their highly specific ways.

The new study may eventually help scientists uncover one of the greatest mysteries of neuroscience: where does the brain ‘store’ its memories.

“They may be ‘hiding’ in high-dimensional cavities,” Markram concluded.

--------------------
PrimalSoup's Tea Tek

"I always say the tea is like eating a burning tire covered in dog shit while someone steps on your nuts. Good luck!"
"Hell, shrooms have blown up from under me and kicked my ass on 2 grams once."
"I think ill eat some shrooms right about now, and ill continue to until it doesnt feel like the right thing to do."

Edited by SizlChest (03/16/19 07:44 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSizlChest
Padawan
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas Flag
Re: Scientists Reveal a Multidimensional Universe Inside the Brain [Re: SizlChest] * 2
    #25877396 - 03/16/19 07:43 AM (5 years, 13 days ago)

MAny of my recent trips have led me to believe our 3 dimensional selves, are merely bases for higher dimensional forms of ourselves.

--------------------
PrimalSoup's Tea Tek

"I always say the tea is like eating a burning tire covered in dog shit while someone steps on your nuts. Good luck!"
"Hell, shrooms have blown up from under me and kicked my ass on 2 grams once."
"I think ill eat some shrooms right about now, and ill continue to until it doesnt feel like the right thing to do."

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Scientists Reveal a Multidimensional Universe Inside the Brain [Re: SizlChest]
    #25877440 - 03/16/19 08:29 AM (5 years, 13 days ago)

I'd really like for someone to check the work on this one, but I doubt anybody is capable. But it seems like they were fairly thorough.

edit: These are two separate statements, hence the space between them, jesus. I wasn't saying how crazy it is that our brain might be utilizing up to 11D has anything to do with with their findings or the accuracy of.

That's pretty crazy, I can't even conceptualize that, 5D and 6D are hard enough.

Edited by Holybullshit (03/16/19 03:07 PM)

InvisiblefeeversM
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Scientists Reveal a Multidimensional Universe Inside the Brain [Re: SizlChest]
    #25877468 - 03/16/19 08:50 AM (5 years, 13 days ago)

If I remember correctly this is from an older study, it's a really good example of the complexity of the brain and how little we understand about information processing and decision making. Even mastering quantum computing won't allow us to recreate anything genuinely like a brain, not anytime within our lifetime at least.
There are a seemingly infinite combination of complex processes occuring and interacting with eachother, from neurotransmitter activity at the synapse to seemingly spontaneous neural clique and cavity formation and everything in between.

I think this article would lead some people to believe this has something to do with the more abstract concept of 'dimension', but it's really about increasing complexity of neuronal connections and activity correlating to processing sensory input.

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
Re: Scientists Reveal a Multidimensional Universe Inside the Brain [Re: Holybullshit]
    #25877505 - 03/16/19 09:13 AM (5 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:
I'd really like for someone to check the work on this one, but I doubt anybody is capable. But it seems like they were fairly thorough.

That's pretty crazy, I can't even conceptualize that, 5D and 6D are hard enough.

Did you even watch the video????  It has NOTHING to do with the ability of a human to visualize dimensional structures greater than 3D. 

It IS about using algebraic topology (an advanced mathematical construct) to map the manner in which the brain senses, then makes decisions based upon the inputted data utilizing discrete neuronal packages that were previously unknown, but revealed through the use of algebraic topology theory.

Maybe you should invest 1 minute 57 seconds to watch the video???

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Scientists Reveal a Multidimensional Universe Inside the Brain [Re: Nature Boy] * 1
    #25877653 - 03/16/19 10:33 AM (5 years, 13 days ago)

if you're sleeping it might feel like that

say you take psychedelics and hallucinate or have nightmares..

a point is 1d
a line is 2d
a cube is 3d
time 4d
temperature 5d
sound/touch 6d
smell/taste 7d
a count down 8d
a counter 9d
velocity/gravity 10d
color 11d

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
Re: Scientists Reveal a Multidimensional Universe Inside the Brain [Re: Konyap] * 1
    #25877693 - 03/16/19 10:53 AM (5 years, 13 days ago)

It's not about how we percieve dimensions, but how many dimensions the shapes have that the neural pathways make or something like that... If I'm not mistaken.

Very interesting! Exactly what I want to study to be able to connect neurology to psychology to better realize psychiatry by recognizing the mental and spiritual needs rather than just focusing on pathways and physical sensations.

Edit: That's if I'm on point

Edited by tacodude (03/16/19 10:53 AM)

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Re: Scientists Reveal a Multidimensional Universe Inside the Brain [Re: tacodude]
    #25877871 - 03/16/19 12:39 PM (5 years, 13 days ago)

They're using dimensions as marketing candy. It's really more like layers and not terribly new. Just a new mathematical model

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
Re: Scientists Reveal a Multidimensional Universe Inside the Brain [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25878028 - 03/16/19 01:59 PM (5 years, 13 days ago)

Am I right though in saying they are describing the shape the neural pathways make? Or not?

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Scientists Reveal a Multidimensional Universe Inside the Brain [Re: tacodude]
    #25878035 - 03/16/19 02:02 PM (5 years, 13 days ago)

You can't make dimensional shapes higher than 3 dimensions out of three dimensional objects. You can make pseudo 4d pictures just like you can make a representation of one side of a 3d object with a two dimensional drawing.

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Scientists Reveal a Multidimensional Universe Inside the Brain [Re: Nature Boy]
    #25878118 - 03/16/19 02:49 PM (5 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

Nature Boy said:
Quote:

Holybullshit said:

Did you even watch the video????  It has NOTHING to do with the ability of a human to visualize dimensional structures greater than 3D. 

It IS about using algebraic topology (an advanced mathematical construct) to map the manner in which the brain senses, then makes decisions based upon the inputted data utilizing discrete neuronal packages that were previously unknown, but revealed through the use of algebraic topology theory.

Maybe you should invest 1 minute 57 seconds to watch the video???

I didn't say it did...

I was saying trying to say conceptualizing an 11D structure, as a 3D(plus time) being was challenging...

Did you even hear her say this work would possibly help us "visualize" what is happening???? Means the SAME THING as conceptualize, and with 11 different dimensions involved I can't imagine ever being able to "visualize" that???? Is that better???? Or maybe you should invest 2 minute and 18 seconds watching this video demonstrating the concept up to 6D???

Or you can take your all caps, passive aggressive question marks, and patronizing tone and get off my ass and instead work on your reading comprehension, you pretentious asshole.

I know once you've got the math worked out it is just another vector, but trying to imagine it helps to really understand what is occurring.

Think of how a sphere would look to a 2D person, it would look like a circle, as it got further away the sphere would become a dot, if the sphere were not uniform in color and placed against a white surface and began rotating it would look like it was part of the surface and that part had different colores swirling around in one spot, appearing to change in diameter as its distance to the observer changed.

But the whole time it is still a sphere, it's diameter never changed, and it would be completely separate from the surface behind it, though the 2D man could not distinguish from the white surface; BUT if the 2D man could imagine a 3D structure he might figure out that he is actually looking at a sphere, and not a strange swirling stain. It's the same way with us and dimensions higher than us.

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
You can't make dimensional shapes higher than 3 dimensions out of three dimensional objects. You can make pseudo 4d pictures just like you can make a representation of one side of a 3d object with a two dimensional drawing.

Precisely, thank you. And from what I got out of it, the "drawings" they are making(with equations) have to describe up to 11 different dimensions to accurately represent what they are seeing.

If can describe what is happening inside the brain with a mathematical equation then it can be digitized, and feeding them to an algorithm which can interpret said values in whatever way we tell it to.

Edited by Holybullshit (03/18/19 12:12 PM)

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Scientists Reveal a Multidimensional Universe Inside the Brain [Re: Holybullshit]
    #25878126 - 03/16/19 02:52 PM (5 years, 13 days ago)

They use multidimensional more like someone describing wine would use the word. Not the way someone who understands geometry and physics would

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
Re: Scientists Reveal a Multidimensional Universe Inside the Brain [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25878172 - 03/16/19 03:14 PM (5 years, 13 days ago)

So am I mistaken to mean the dimensions are the possible ways the neural pathways will form?

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
    #25878183 - 03/16/19 03:19 PM (5 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

tacodude said:
So am I mistaken to mean the dimensions are the possible ways the neural pathways will form?

That was kind of my takeaway, but I think it is more like the firing pattern that occurs in the neural network. But I am absolutely not qualified to answer that question, just sharing my thoughts.

Edited by Holybullshit (03/16/19 03:19 PM)

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
    #25879273 - 03/17/19 02:20 AM (5 years, 13 days ago)

That makes sense... I think it might be a combination rating the physical and chemical energy, or as I put it the soul as that's the only real thing to differ between people.

OfflineMikeTesserect
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25879410 - 03/17/19 05:00 AM (5 years, 12 days ago)

u cant literally have 11 dimensions in 3 or even 4 D lol! 5 D would be the probabilistic totality of the space/time continuum ( if I take the blue pill, I also took the red in a parallel reality). higher than that leads to multiuniverses, ect.. ! There is no higher dimensional self "u are sitting under" or cant be visible right now,but don't take my word for it

OfflineThesunbeam
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Scientists Reveal a Multidimensional Universe Inside the Brain [Re: MikeTesserect]
    #25879720 - 03/17/19 10:22 AM (5 years, 12 days ago)

Cool

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #25879729 - 03/17/19 10:26 AM (5 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:
Quote:

tacodude said:

That was kind of my takeaway, but I think it is more like the firing pattern that occurs in the neural network. But I am absolutely not qualified to answer that question, just sharing my thoughts.

The firing patern is complex but not multidimensional unless you're using multidimensional to describe layers which is a misleading way to use that word as a hype word for your article.

That's like saying orchestra music is multidimensional compared to Nickelback. It's way more nuanced and complex with layers and more instruments. But it's not multidimensional.

Beer and wine are not multidimensional. But you'll hear people talk about their flavor that way.

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
    #25880370 - 03/17/19 03:09 PM (5 years, 12 days ago)

I hear you.... So I'm correct in thinking they used dimensions as synonymous for a shapes face and how many they make?

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #25880384 - 03/17/19 03:23 PM (5 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

tacodude said:
I hear you.... So I'm correct in thinking they used dimensions as synonymous for a shapes face and how many they make?

no
that would easily be described as polygonal

i really just think they're saying we can assign 11 different coordinates to one idea

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates