Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSeekeroftruths
Stranger

Did you know?
    #25876613 - 03/15/19 06:35 PM (5 years, 14 days ago)

Just found an app yesterday that can "identify" plants and mushrooms. Has anyone used it successfully with active mushrooms? I tried to scan a p.sub from a photo on a phone and it gave me 3 options as to what it was. Only one of those options were psilocybe but not a sub. You can also suggest to the app what it is so could be a great app if experienced people uploaded active and non active finds. Any input on this subject?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMagic Badger
Discoverer of Curiosities
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Did you know? [Re: Seekeroftruths]
    #25876694 - 03/15/19 07:28 PM (5 years, 14 days ago)

I doubt it works all that well for fungi.... too many things cannot be identified to the species level through macro observations only and way fewer with a single view (or does it ask to see cap, stipe, gills?)

It can probably get a few really unique things right, but I wouldn't trust it at all, especially if it's anything (plant or fungi) that you intend to ingest.

--------------------
Disclaimer - I'm just a hobbyist and cannot absolutely guarantee any ID offered. I'm most familiar with the species found in the Pacific Northwest - those found in other parts of the world may vary considerably, so always do your own research to find out what grows in your area and what lookalikes you need to be aware of. Understand that many mushroom species cannot be 100% reliably identified by photographs alone, even by an expert, so it may not be possible to go beyond suggesting a probable genus.

OfflineDuggstarMDiscord
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
Trusted Identifier
Re: Did you know? [Re: Magic Badger]
    #25876905 - 03/15/19 09:33 PM (5 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

Magic Badger said:
I doubt it works all that well for fungi.... too many things cannot be identified to the species level through macro observations only and way fewer with a single view (or does it ask to see cap, stipe, gills?)

It can probably get a few really unique things right, but I wouldn't trust it at all, especially if it's anything (plant or fungi) that you intend to ingest.

:whathesaid: I think I've only tried using an app once, it was a long time ago, and I found it to be almost useless. I've heard others say sometimes they're spot on, but more often they're way off the mark. Of course, it depends to a large degree on what information you put in - if your observations aren't entirely correct, you're probably not gonna get an accurate identification; crap in = crap out. I definitely wouldn't trust them, it's still hard to beat a keen eye and experience. I don't think an app will ever (at least in our lifetime) be better than a good human identifier.

OfflineSeekeroftruths
Stranger

Re: Did you know? [Re: Duggstar]
    #25876994 - 03/15/19 10:43 PM (5 years, 14 days ago)

Good points, people will upload 2 year old dried cubes and be stupid with it. I actually scanned three chilli plants aswell and all of them came up as chilli but non specific

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: Did you know? [Re: Seekeroftruths]
    #25877665 - 03/16/19 10:42 AM (5 years, 13 days ago)

The best one I've came across so far is inaturalist, but it has a long way to go to be trustworthy. Lots of knowledgeable folks there.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale