Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinesycodelix
Honorable Golden Shellback
Male

Loc: Spokane, Washington
Best Way To Store Marijuana For The Apocalypse, According To Science
    #25874552 - 03/14/19 07:21 PM (5 years, 16 days ago)

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/this-is-the-best-way-to-store-marijuana-for-the-apocalypse-according-to-science/

This Is The Best Way To Store Marijuana For The Apocalypse, According To Science

Published 22 hours ago on March 13, 2019 By Kimberly Lawson

SHARE TWEET
You may want to rethink how you’re storing your marijuana stash long-term.

Many enthusiasts will tell you the best place to keep cannabis is in an air-tight container stowed somewhere cool and dark. But according to the results of a new four-year study, the freezer may actually be a better place—especially if you’re concerned about maintaining that all-important THC content.

Researchers in Italy were interested in understanding how time and various storage conditions (involving light, oxygen and temperature) affected the chemical composition of high-potency cannabis products. Past studies have also investigated this topic, but the authors of new research published in Forensic Science International last week noted that the potency of cannabis in today’s market is “extremely different” from years past.

Using six cannabis products of herbal and resin materials (which were seized by law enforcement and given to researchers to analyze), the study’s authors created 24 primary samples.

After collecting information about how much THC, CBD and CBN (that is, cannabinol, another non-intoxicating component in cannabis that occurs when THC degrades over time) each sample contained, the researchers stored the samples in four controlled conditions for a period of four years.

The testing conditions differed by light exposure (whether it was light or dark 24 hours) and storage temperature (including at room temperature, refrigerated at 4 degrees Celsius or frozen at -20 degrees Celsius). Over the span of the study period, the samples were tested 14 times.

In a finding that will likely be unsurprising to anyone who has stumbled upon an old stash of cannabis stored in a sock drawer, the study determined that the amount of THC decreased—thus increasing the amount of CBN—in the samples stored at room temperature. In the first 100 days of data gathering, the THC in the marijuana stored in both light and dark spaces at room temperature had degraded by 13 percent and 11 percent, respectively.

Meanwhile, the refrigerated cannabis did show some decline in THC and increase in CBN over time, though not nearly as pronounced as the samples kept at room temperature.

The THC content in the samples stored in below-freezing conditions, however, did not significantly change.

This finding indicates, as the authors write, “that freezing is the best storage condition to avoid the reduction of the cannabinoids content over time.”

As for CBD, the study found that the compound remained “relatively constant over time in all the considered samples.”

The authors point out that their findings could be important for forensic purposes. With their methods, they write, law enforcement may be able to figure out what the THC concentration might initially have been in degraded marijuana.

On a more basic level, the research could also help consumers better plan how to store their cannabis.

That said, with marijuana not exactly that hard to find—it’s not as if prohibition is very effective, and more states are legalizing cannabis stores in any case—most people probably won’t be seeking to intentionally store their supply for multi-year periods.

Unless, that is, you’re a prepper planning for hard times. In that case, just know that, according to this research, stuffing your stash in the freezer is best.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Best Way To Store Marijuana For The Apocalypse, According To Science [Re: sycodelix]
    #25874562 - 03/14/19 07:26 PM (5 years, 16 days ago)

Cool, I just put my stash in my freezer.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Best Way To Store Marijuana For The Apocalypse, According To Science [Re: Holybullshit]
    #25874670 - 03/14/19 08:20 PM (5 years, 16 days ago)

13% of 13% weed is just 1% really

you have to cure it to make it more smokable anyway, i'd maybe put it in the freezer after a few weeks of curing
all the freezer does is slow down/kill the bacteria eating the bud

most people would rather have less cholorphyl than bud so they'd even cure it for 2 months if they could

Edited by Konyap (03/14/19 08:21 PM)

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Best Way To Store Marijuana For The Apocalypse, According To Science [Re: Konyap]
    #25874715 - 03/14/19 08:37 PM (5 years, 16 days ago)

worst possible article to post in shroomery headlines, according to disguy

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Best Way To Store Marijuana For The Apocalypse, According To Science [Re: Konyap]
    #25874930 - 03/14/19 11:05 PM (5 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Konyap said:
13% of 13% weed is just 1% really

What do you mean? That it's just a 1% decrease since only 13% was THC in the first place? 13% actives is still 13% actives.

I don't grow weed, but what I've got right now has been dried/handled pretty well, it feels nice and gummy(if you know what I mean) almost fluffy but dense, not dried out and crumbly. And I don't smoke that much either nowadays, I keep a dugout full and a little baggie beside a vape in a drawer, but I've got a mason jar full...figured why not, but maybe I should try a smaller amount to make sure it doesn't negatively impact the smoke/flavor.

Edited by Holybullshit (03/14/19 11:08 PM)

OfflineKonyap

Re: Best Way To Store Marijuana For The Apocalypse, According To Science [Re: Holybullshit]
    #25874977 - 03/14/19 11:30 PM (5 years, 16 days ago)

yeah  but i'd rather smoke cured 12 percent
than 13 percent in a freezer

fuck i wouldn't even put it in there
unless you were worried about mold

if you dry it out enough you can leave it in the mason as long as you want
it's mostly about the 60percent humidity when it comes to curing
after a few weeks it's fine
do whatever you want to it

if someone had weed sitting around for a year in a jar and it didn't have mold on it
i'd prefer that to the 1 month cure

Edited by Konyap (03/14/19 11:31 PM)

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
    #25876759 - 03/15/19 08:06 PM (5 years, 15 days ago)

Weed can still be cured, then put in a jar, then put in the freezer. If the humidity stays right its basically just lowering the temperature, study says it loses 13 percent every 100 days, in a year that would be mean it would lose half its potency.

Maybe the fridge would make more sense if its not super long term, that would keep it above freezing but mostly stop the loss in potency.

It seems like maybe you are making the assumption curing slows down potency loss(which I am sure it does compared to straight off the plant, but I don't think anyone is talking about freezing fresh trimmed bud here)? Or can't be properly cured before being stored? Couldn't tell from your posts...it doesn't say anything like that. If anything, even though it is a much worse smoke, I would think totally dry cannabis, processed with heat or dehydrated quickly, would hold potency better. Though properly cured cannabis should be pretty damn dry just not crumbly/powdery.

Of course, we don't know what condition the weed they were using was in, but it seems like the decrease was consistent, or at least similar, across all types of cannabis products and may be related to temperature more than anything.

Edited by Holybullshit (03/15/19 08:20 PM)

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#25876783 - 03/15/19 08:19 PM (5 years, 15 days ago)

Are cannabis plants no longer growable in this scenario? Just grow more.

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Best Way To Store Marijuana For The Apocalypse, According To Science [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #25876787 - 03/15/19 08:21 PM (5 years, 15 days ago)

Zombies like to eat cannabis plants even more than deer. Or are the soil is radioactive. Or drought conditions stretch for hundreds of miles, the government has collapsed, and water cannot be wasted on growing weed. Maybe everyone has adopted a nomadic lifestyle in search of food and safety.

The title does say apocalypse. Don't ask me how we still have access to a freezer.

But losing about half its potency in a year is not insignificant for anyone whose going to hold onto weed for very long.

Edited by Holybullshit (03/15/19 08:24 PM)

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#25876803 - 03/15/19 08:28 PM (5 years, 15 days ago)

Zombies eating the weed, that I like. I play this roguelike zombie apolocolypse game called cataclysm thats off the chain, would be awesome if they targeted crops :lol:

OfflineKonyap

Re: Best Way To Store Marijuana For The Apocalypse, According To Science [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #25876826 - 03/15/19 08:49 PM (5 years, 15 days ago)

no i cure it specifically to make it more smokable

the bacteria on it eats the plant,
it eats the green shit you aren't going to smoke, that's why it loses it's color
and the free radicals break off of the thca making it into thc

when you freeze it you stop the bacteria essentially from breaking down the thc
or maybe the simple act of freezing just hardens the thc so it doesn't break down as fast

Offlinedownlowfunk
Retired Festival Veteran
Male

Loc: Physical Realm
    #25877490 - 03/16/19 09:05 AM (5 years, 14 days ago)

I use a Mason jar wrapped in electrical tape, then wrapped in duct tape.  My Care Giver uses stainless with humidity packs.

My friends Grandfather was a cop and we found old confiscated weed when we cleaned out his estate.  The weed very old still worked fine it was in a weed chamber inside a brass pipe.  Remember those?

OfflineKonyap

Re: Best Way To Store Marijuana For The Apocalypse, According To Science [Re: downlowfunk]
    #25877690 - 03/16/19 10:52 AM (5 years, 14 days ago)

oh crap

they used chemicals to treat a lot of metals
not good to smoke out of them a lot of times
my friend had one of those in your picture tho

Offlinedownlowfunk
Retired Festival Veteran
Male

Loc: Physical Realm
    #25877955 - 03/16/19 01:23 PM (5 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

Konyap said:
oh crap

they used chemicals to treat a lot of metals
not good to smoke out of them a lot of times
my friend had one of those in your picture tho

We smoked the bud in a glass.
Maybe those chems helped preserve the bud cause it was confiscated in the 80s and we found it in 97.  Also dont forget those old cooking pots with resins of thc and opiates present discovered from ancient times.

Edited by downlowfunk (03/16/19 01:25 PM)

InvisibleMagicman69
All About the Benjamins
Male User Gallery

Re: Best Way To Store Marijuana For The Apocalypse, According To Science [Re: downlowfunk]
    #25882935 - 03/19/19 12:23 AM (5 years, 12 days ago)

If you're to the point where plants won't grow...you're fucked!

I'd rather be at ground zero of the Apocalypse than somehow survive and get thrown back into the Dark Ages.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck