Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> The Great Outdoors

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMrAnswerSeeker
Crow
Male

Loc: Washington
Anyone ever hunt waterfowl at Fort Stevens?
    #25857908 - 03/07/19 10:37 AM (2 months, 15 days ago)

Hello! I live in Oregon on the coast near the Columbia River. Have been thinking about getting into waterfowl hunting.

Anyone ever hunted the Clatsop Spit near Trestle Bay?

I've never hunted fowl before, but I'm curious if people have much success out there and also just for any tips anyone could give for getting into it. (Favored weapon for hunts, favored species for consumption, do I need a dog?... Etc.)

Thanks!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleThayendanegeaS
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
Re: Anyone ever hunt waterfowl at Fort Stevens? [Re: MrAnswerSeeker]
    #25869536 - 03/12/19 01:33 PM (2 months, 10 days ago)

I am an East Coast (Chesapeake Bay) waterfowl hunter and have been for a couple decades.If I read you correctly, you are talking about hunting diving ducks such as greater or lesser scaup,golden eye, buffle heads...etc. (they are mostly hunted in big water )Or....goose hunting which requires a whole different approach. They are mostly hunted in fields.

In any case, waterfowl hunting requires a pretty good financial hit to gear up and put out a decent decoy rig. For instance, a diver duck rig is usually at least 50-60 decoys along with a boat,boat blind,good waterproof insulated chest waders if you are hunting from shore or shallows. There is also the addition of duck or goose calls which are necessary for some of the puddle ducks or geese...puddle ducks like mallards, gadwall, pintail teal,wood ducks.

A good shotgun should be a 12 gauge pump or semi auto chambered for 3-1/2" shells because you have to use steel shot for waterfowl. Good guns are the always reliable Remington 870 pumps or my favorite...Benelli Super Black Eagle but that's around $1600.00. You can purchase a good pump shotgun for$3-400.00. 

Waterfowl hunting also requires you to look thoroughly into state, federal and local hunting regulations as they are many and varied. You must also purchase a federal stamp as well as a state stamp.

Unless you plan on hunting for decades and have a couple friends or family that will hunt with you, I'd recommend just paying for a guided hunting trip as it will be much cheaper in the long run.

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

InvisibleWhitelighter

Loc: South Carolina
    #25872810 - 03/13/19 11:45 PM (2 months, 8 days ago)

All I know about that area, because I used to fish and hunt around Fort Stevens, is that you better have the right license, bag limit, and gear.

Those fish and game officers like to pop out of the woods in full black with guns drawn.

InvisibleThayendanegeaS
quiet walker
Male User Gallery

Loc: 7 Lodges Nation Flag
    #25873456 - 03/14/19 11:19 AM (2 months, 8 days ago)

Yeah....and duck identification has to be studied because there are different bag limits for different species and they are many and varied. Some species are federally protected and are allowed zero. You should be able to not only identify them sitting on the water but in flight, as well. You will also need to identify the drakes and females of each species.

I've seen guys in a boat with a diver rig out blasting away at cormorants. Not only are they protected but their meat is like rotten sardines because all they eat is fish.

--------------------
Look Deep Into Nature,and Then You Will Understand Everything Better.

Albert Einstein

InvisibleMr Piggy
Bumbling Stumbler.
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Anyone ever hunt waterfowl at Fort Stevens? [Re: Whitelighter]
    #25928594 - 04/11/19 01:15 PM (1 month, 11 days ago)

Quote:

Whitelighter said:
Those fish and game officers like to pop out of the woods in full black with guns drawn.

:lol: Absolute horse shit.  I have never had a wildlife officer pull a gun on me or anyone I know in Oregon.  They do wait far away and watch you with binoculars, and they will intercept you on the way back in, but they do not go commando.

The last time my buddy and I were out at FS scouting waterfowl in november we spooked up 70 mallards at once.  It was an awe inspiring sight from just 40 feet away.

The hunting at ft stevens is good, and it's good all day long.  Make sure to triple check your regulations and tags.  Bring a boat for retrieval, dogs are good too.  Nearly every shot will be over water, and the tides will have that water moving most of the time.  Retrieval will be the main problem considering there's more than enough ducks hanging around.

I can't wait until next year!!!

Quack!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> The Great Outdoors