Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetrevorda8
My home isearth.
 User Gallery

Loc: P.N.W.
Liberty Cap Habitat
    #25872650 - 03/13/19 08:23 PM (2 months, 7 days ago)

Does anyone know if Libs grow strictly in COW pastures or in horse pastures? Ive found them in cow fields only but have heard of them growing in horse fields. I beleive the ones located in horse pastures have previously been cow fields or does anyone know property owners who have had horses only that have had libs growing in them?

--------------------
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" -Pink Floyd.
Memories make up our lifes as we know it. Our souls are lost between time and space.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleWhitelighter

Loc: South Carolina
Re: Liberty Cap Habitat [Re: trevorda8]
    #25872679 - 03/13/19 08:37 PM (2 months, 7 days ago)

I've read over the years that liberty caps will grow in straight up decaying grass particles. There does not have to be an animal dung for them to flourish.

This one guy wrote a story about how the lawn at a popular outdoor concert venue was literally littered with liberty caps one year!

Just grass

InvisibleWhitelighter

#25872690 - 03/13/19 08:39 PM (2 months, 7 days ago)

I think the only reason that they may be more prevalent in cow pastures, is the nature of the stomach of the cow. It does not always "kill" the spores.

So if you were to feed a cow liberty cap spores, they would not only have grass to grow in, but fertilizer to use.

Invisiblestevo
Compost
 User Gallery

Loc: The mushroom kingdom
Re: Liberty Cap Habitat [Re: Whitelighter]
    #25872963 - 03/13/19 11:56 PM (2 months, 7 days ago)

I always thought it was the hooves kicking up dirt and kind of killing back the roots a little, and making it loose there.

InvisibleWhitelighter

Re: Liberty Cap Habitat [Re: stevo]
    #25872967 - 03/14/19 12:00 AM (2 months, 7 days ago)

nah, the hooves of a 1000 pound animal only compact the dirt, not kick it up.

The reason that cubes grow so much in cow fields is that the stomach of the cow can not kill the spores.

Invisiblestevo
Compost
 User Gallery

Loc: The mushroom kingdom
Re: Liberty Cap Habitat [Re: Whitelighter]
    #25873250 - 03/14/19 06:34 AM (2 months, 7 days ago)

Are we talking about cubes or liberty caps?  They don't even grow in the same places.  Liberty caps grow from tall grasses that prevent the ground from being so hard. Cubensis is tropical and grows on dung above the ground.

I've heard the cows stomach acid theory too and never really came across anyone who provided any evidence.  Cows body temperature isn't going to be good for young myc and fresh manure has a bit of ammonia.  I would just as easily believe crabgrass seed, flies and just a high spores count in general would be good enough.  Dung beetles.

Offlinetrevorda8
My home isearth.
 User Gallery

Loc: P.N.W.
Re: Liberty Cap Habitat [Re: stevo]
    #25874077 - 03/14/19 03:04 PM (2 months, 6 days ago)

Liberty caps. Ive found them in tall grass that I have a strong feeling were once cow pastures back in the day. They werent scattered though\. They would grow in an area side by side in a 1x1' area. I am guessing that is where the cow laid a pile of shit a long time ago and the nutrients of some sort are still there. Those grass clumps wvwryone talks about them growing in were once cow shit piles and it fertilized the grass and it became a healthy mass.

Edited by trevorda8 (03/14/19 03:06 PM)

OfflineTrancedd
candyflipper
Male User Gallery

#25875157 - 03/15/19 05:16 AM (2 months, 6 days ago)

Liberty caps quite simply like fertile grassy habitats, and our best bet for this is generally agricultural land because that is where such habitats exist. They can be found to grow in cow, sheep and horse fields, and if anybody says otherwise, its probably just because they haven't found them there yet.

The problem is that in countries such as the UK, many of us live in towns and cities where the grass is cut by lawnmawers and tends to blow away into drains etc (public parks, grass along pathways/roads in towns etc) or in peoples lawns whereby it is placed in the bin. This leads to situations whereby conditions in habitats where the foliage is removed but not naturally maintained or artificially replaced are well below optimum for anything but the grass.

This is why liberty caps grow and are usually found in places where fertiliser is added to the grass, or the grass is more natural. Hence why the main places people tend to find them are:

Agricultural pastoral land (cow, sheep and horse fields, fertiliser is constantly added and even excrete by the animals)
Golf courses (they constantly water and feed the grass)
Unspoiled countryside grassland, such as you get up in the moors/hills (the grass maintains itself & is more natural)

Edited by Trancedd (03/15/19 05:20 AM)

OfflineAnglerfish
hearing things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Norvegr Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #25875499 - 03/15/19 10:04 AM (2 months, 6 days ago)

Quote:

trevorda8 said:
Does anyone know if Libs grow strictly in COW pastures or in horse pastures? Ive found them in cow fields only but have heard of them growing in horse fields. I beleive the ones located in horse pastures have previously been cow fields or does anyone know property owners who have had horses only that have had libs growing in them?

They prefer grass lands fertilized with herbivore manure. I seem to find them most prevalent in sheep pastures. But I've found
them in city parks, private lawns, cemetaries, and even in a roundabout in a motorway as well as in grass-covered tram tracks.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification