Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineProdijal_Son
slowmaster

Loc: derby city
So I'm Going To Be A DJ.
    #2586747 - 04/21/04 01:57 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

A few points to stress before I elaborate into the recent momentous happenings of my life. First and foremost, any bull-headed negativity regarding the illegitimacy of turntablism as a musical art form will be brushed aside with little or no regard, whatsoever. Furthermore, it is with great apprehensiveness that I assert this bold claim into the realm of any public world. By this I mean I've never been one to spew openly the fact that yes, I spin records. Or, yes, I Dj. Yada, yada, yada. As the illustrious Del says, "in the year 3030 everybody wants to Dj." So, to claim that "Yes INDEED! I AM going to BE A DJ" means that only an event so gloriously defining must have occured to revert my stauch obstinance to unhindered self-promotion.

I have to go to class right this minute. I'll be back in a few hours to let you know wtf it is that has happened.

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

--------------------
The times are good. The living is easy. The vibes are zingy.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: So I'm Going To Be A DJ. [Re: Prodijal_Son]
    #2586764 - 04/21/04 02:04 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Good luck to you. I definitely believe that "turn-tableism" can be a great musical form, and electronic music in general as well. But there is a tendancy for artists to stay with the mediocre formulas the club-goers thrive on. Take it to another level - experiment through sound -  and be yourself. :grin: ( i sound like a high-school guidance counseler!)

--------------------

InvisibleRobotic_touch
Female
    #2586779 - 04/21/04 02:10 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Turntablism is definetly a musical art form.....as all electronic music is, what do you mix?

--------------------

OfflineFlux
Symmetry Breaker
Loc: The Shroomery... retard
Re: So I'm Going To Be A DJ. [Re: Krishna]
    #2586780 - 04/21/04 02:10 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

what are you spinning? house, trance, break beat, jungle, etc...?

--------------------
What'd I tell you about looking at my signature bitch!

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Re: So I'm Going To Be A DJ. [Re: Flux]
    #2586804 - 04/21/04 02:20 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

1940s Country Music?

South African Gospel?

:grin:

--------------------

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
    #2587091 - 04/21/04 03:41 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Krishna said:
1940s Country Music?

South African Gospel?

:grin:

lol!

Whats up with the intro warning man, turntableism rules, who says other wise?  I wish you the best.

The best concert I've ever been to was this amazing dj who is amazing at scratching (I think he's from new york, forgot his name though).  Damn that show kicked ass, it was a trip to listen to that.  He was spinning hip hop and scratching better than anything I've ever seen or heard.

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

OfflineIts Pat
Don't OD dipshit nub.
 User Gallery

Loc: THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN...
    #2587259 - 04/21/04 04:33 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
2 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
3 and 2 and 3 and 4 and. . .

Get use to counting to 8 and 16 alot via the above method.

--------------------

BigUpRadio
WorldReggaeShow
DreaderThanDread - Listen!
(druqs said) don't get arsey, just get RC.

InvisibleKackleDude
transmundaneother

Loc: Close to the Edge, Down b...
    #2587289 - 04/21/04 04:44 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Congrats on your decision, for whatever reasons it may be. DJing's a noble artform, and be prepared to spend a lot of time at it. It's easy to produce music from a pair of decks, yes, but as you learn how to manipulate that music and transform it into your own it gets increasingly harder.
Try to watch talented DJs live or download videos and study their techniques, duplicate their routines if it's what you need to do to understand.
Obtain as many records as you can as/that you dig, a record collection is one of those hard to aquire things that helps make a DJ. Cruise used shops frequently, make a stop to each record store in your local phone directory, it pays off.
It's a strange thing to make a musical career from playing other people's music.

Now I'm real interested to hear what this momentous event was, 'zacktly.

--------------------
yeeeahh, it's gonna be well wicked

OfflineProdijal_Son
slowmaster

#2587382 - 04/21/04 05:18 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

*Flux: None of the above. I like some jungle, but not the goofy tripped out. I'm into more organic breakbeat sounds. That's about as far as I go with "electronica". When I say organic I mean I don't practice much synth stuff like that. I'd rather sample dirty old sounding drum hits from misc. records to make breakbeats, etc. This is not to say that I don't enjoi the genres. It's simply not my bag baby.

*Filthysock: The intro warning pertains to certain skirmishes I've gotten into with certain individuals here at the Shroomery. Some people can't shake their views of djs as simple record revolvers. They don't care to explore the elevations to which artists have taken the form. Whether it's due to their distaste for "rap" or "hip-hop", they deny the dj of true artistic expression. Their faculties are flawed my friends.

That's what's up with the intro. I just wanted any prospective haters to know that if they want to speak on a issue that they haven't afforded the full respect of an complete examination and consideration due to any issue in question, then I just don't give a fuck. :wink:

Robotic_touch: Here's a little lexicon of what I like to listen to ...

The DJ's: Shadow, Z-Trip, Cut Chemist, Nu Mark, Q-Bert, Q-Burns, Mr. Dibbs, Yoda Frog, Shortkut, D-Styles, Mix Master Mike, Dan Tha Automater, Kid Koala, Invisible Skratch Picklz, D-Sharp, Chief XL, Ali Shaheed Muhammed, E-Swift, Ant Turn That Snare Down, Happee, X-Men (X-Ecutioners), Babu, J-Rocc, Eddie Def, Krush, Roni Size, Hermit Kid, Beatcave Hermit, Abilities, RJD2, Prefuse 73

Hip Hop Artists: Lateef, Lyrics Born, Gift of Gab, Jurassic 5, Tribe Called Quest, Tha Alkaholiks, Madlib, Lexicon, The Majesticons, Mike Ladd, Atmosphere, Eyedea, Brother Ali, Del Tha Funky Homosapien, Hieroglyphics, Souls of Mischief, Mountain Brothers, Aesop Rock, Murs, El-P, Mr. Lif, Jedi Mind Tricks, Freestlye Fellowship, Skoolyard, Soul Position, Blackalicious, Quannum, Outkast, Joyo Velarde, etc. I could go on and on.

That Old Shit: Lee Fields, Al Green, The Superlatives, The Temptations, The Four Tops, Marvin Gaye, Count Basie, Art Tatum, Art Blakey, The Modern Jazz Quartet, Louis Armstrong, Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus, Charles Parker, Electric Light Orchestra, Brass Construction 5, Parliament Funk, Sly and the Family Stone, KC and the Sunshine Band, Salsoul Orchestra, Sarah Vaughn, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Jefferson Airplane, Creedence Clearwater, Greatful Dead, The Band, Ravi Shankar,

New Stuff: Beck, A Silver Mt. Zion, Goodspeed Ye Black Emporer!, Radiohead, Mars Volta, Bjork,

*insert an oversized etc here*

I like a lot of music. I can't even recall it all.

ANYWAYS ... the core of "what I spin" ... well first off ... to "spin" you've got to have lots of records. I only have about 250, which is measly. But, with time your crates swell as does your artistic arsenal.

What I "would spin" would revolve primarily around that whole organic concept I was talking about. Borrowing from the roots of music to create a compisite of the roots with the contemporary bumps. My traditional influence is in percussion, as I played the drums from 13-17, 17 being when I got my first pair of turntables and a mixer and started my record collection. I'm 20 now. So, I would say that most of the stuff I'd be playing would contain a hot hook and a busy beat. Anything to get party people on their feet. As far as "spinning" or djing parties, clubs, I'd be playing to get the peeps on the floor. But, that doesn't mean I'm going to resort to throwing 50 Cent in the mix. Well shit. Who knows. If you can work the tables you can work the tables. I'd just have to make sure that I did it in a way that would blow a the sucka music elites mind away for questioning my selection of "In The Club". Feel me?

Studio shit, mix tapes, etc. is a much different beast. That's where the unadulterated creative expression is unleashed. That's where you start to spread out to touch on EVERY fucking genre.

But that's enough for replies to the questions above. How about I tell you what's goin' down.

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

So, I met DJ Shadow. He's my greatest artistic influence to date. He's what pushed me to seek the countless influences that await me. I went to the Quannum World Tour 2004 in Chicago, awesome show, got to meet Lyrics Born, Gift of Gab, the Lifesavas, etc. It was dope. But meeting Shadow really made me realize how much I really do enjoi what I've been doing, and where I want and know I could take it.

Last night I met Nu-Mark and chiefed out with Chali Tuna of Jurassic 5 at Bogart's in Cincinnati. That was good fun, but not to artistically indulging. I basically just plugged my hometown and tried to get them to come there as much as I could. I live in Louisville, KY. Derby City holmes! The show was live, Cut Chemist wasn't there but Nu-Marc shocked and awed in his own right.

That same night I saw for the first time a group called the Animal Crackers. 5 or 6 man turntablist group. They manipulated like pros and it was euphonic euphoria. Afterwards, I was milling around the after party bar and I stopped and talked to one of the members. He was real down to earth, easy to speak to, cool as shit. And shit's ice cold. Basically, I asked him if it'd be alright if I came to their studio sometime to chill and watch them do their stuff. He gave me a business card and told me to ask for him at the studio. They'd be working on their DMC performance until August, so they'd be there quite a bit. So, here I am. A sapling DJ, yearning for an artistic mentor. And ... boom. Here it is. So this is where I am. BOO JA!

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

I think this is definitely the longest post I've ever made.
I'll update with new information as I experience it  :wink:.

--------------------

OfflineProdijal_Son
slowmaster

Re: So I'm Going To Be A DJ. [Re: Its Pat]
    #2587386 - 04/21/04 05:19 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

That's applicable to any form of music.  :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblebilly cuts
turntablingmycologist

Loc: Saturn
    #2587794 - 04/21/04 07:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Is this the same prodigal son from SA?

Anyways, good luck on scratching, it takes an enourmous amount of dedication and time to progress to a level that sounds halfway decent. Some cats have the funky cuts from the beginning, but most don't even sound that great after 3 years...

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2587859 - 04/21/04 08:16 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Right on mon..  I have respect for all varieties and genres of musicians and music..including turntable-wizardry. I can honestly say that I enjoy the whole basic spectrum of music. I have a particular affinity for classical music.. it is the only thing I'll listen to on the radio when I drive... Nothing strikes my psychogenic chords of resonance like the powerful elegance of soothing and spirit-lifting sounds of any fine classical maestro. :grin:
As a tyro of exploring electronica myself, I've created a few songs with Ez-DJ on my pc, but I haven't found out how to share it to fellow Shroomerites yet.. 

Anyways..
Good Luck, and may the Force be with you...

:headbang:

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #2589576 - 04/22/04 02:40 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Good Luck

Unsuprising that you put the warning, after all there are a lot of record spinners out there calling themselves DJ's giving real DJ's a bad name. I have seen real dj's before, scratching up a storm. I don't personally enjoy scratching that much but it doesn't mean I don't respect it.

Takes a lot of committment for sure. I spend about 4 hours a day honing my electronic music producing skills. At first it was just a desire to make it and I had to force myself to sit down and work on it, but now its nothing to me to work on it night and day, hope that happens for you. I won't post any music yet though. Maybe one day I will use the shroomery community as a test audience though.

Incidentally, I would heavily support a music composition forum on here if any admins are listening. I am quite happy to pass on what I have learnt (and learn from others in the forum)).

Edited by utopianglory (04/22/04 02:41 AM)

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Re: So I'm Going To Be A DJ. [Re: utopianglory]
    #2589682 - 04/22/04 03:17 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

utopianglory said:
Incidentally, I would heavily support a music composition forum on here if any admins are listening.  I am quite happy to pass on what I have learnt (and learn from others in the forum)).

There is an art and music forum down there *points downwards... no not to OTD :grin: *

--------------------

Invisibleutopianglory
Spunkmuffin
    #2589821 - 04/22/04 04:34 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Krishna said:
Quote:

utopianglory said:
Incidentally, I would heavily support a music composition forum on here if any admins are listening.  I am quite happy to pass on what I have learnt (and learn from others in the forum)).

There is an art and music forum down there *points downwards... no not to OTD :grin: *

I know but I'm talking about composition not consumption.  I mean that respectfully of course, I just wouldn't want to to fill that forum with talk on this and that of musical composition.

OfflineProdijal_Son
slowmaster

Re: So I'm Going To Be A DJ. [Re: utopianglory]
    #2590233 - 04/22/04 10:30 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Why not? It's dead for the most part.

... thanks for all the positive words my friends.

I love the hell out of scratching. For me it feels like scatting on a record, and I don't mean shitting.

Never used EZ-Dj .... as far as producing goes I use FruityLoops (all versions, been using it for about 4 years), AcidPro, SoundForge. I'm looking into using CoolEdit, CakeWalk, Reason, Recycle, ReBirth, and ProTools ... but that's a little down the road.

--------------------

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #2590274 - 04/22/04 10:46 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I share your aspirations, but alas I havent quite saved up the $$ I need for a pair of decks. And all my DJ friends that live close by are house DJs that cannot tolerate the chug chug drum n bass shit that I like to bring.

anyway, this thread makes me jealous. I wish I were spinning. Its so fun and easy! Plus it would be nice to be able to do something with the tracks I've produced and the new stuff I'm working on. The main reason I want to be a DJ is to promote my own music. All I see around here is DJs gettin paid. Producers dont get shit.

anyway, good luck dude! you're makin me jealous!

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

#2590297 - 04/22/04 10:55 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Prodijal_Son said:
I'm looking into using CoolEdit, CakeWalk, Reason, Recycle, ReBirth, and ProTools ... but that's a little down the road.

I highly recommend  CoolEdit, CakeWalk, Reason, and ProTools... used them all, found them all to be quite nice programs.

(especially having a G5 hooked up to a 6 track mixer with ProTools :grin: )

--------------------

OfflineProdijal_Son
slowmaster

#2594115 - 04/23/04 10:34 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Macs are for teh n00|3eez. Homegrown PC's for life!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Toilet Paper

Community >> The Pub