Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

ideas for Deep Adaptation - facing near-term human extinction from climate change
    #25855999 - 03/06/19 10:03 AM (5 years, 24 days ago)

In this article http://www.lifeworth.com/deepadaptation.pdf, the certainty of social disaster within 10 years is established with clear references.

Since records began in 1850, seventeen of the eighteen hottest years have occurred since 2000, and the geometric progression of the effect is exacerbated by permafrost thaws and sea bed warming both of which are releasing Methane which is more of a green house gas than CO2.

Apparently nothing in our power can mitigate disastrous flooding, famine, war, and weather upheaval fueling complete destruction of our social fabric and economies.

Any smart ideas would be welcome.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: ideas for Deep Adaptation - facing near-term human extinction from climate change [Re: redgreenvines]
    #25856069 - 03/06/19 11:01 AM (5 years, 24 days ago)

Yeah, it's dire. It reminds me of the old 'duck and cover' drills in the fifties and sixties -- simulated nuclear attacks. Everyone in the classroom would be told to get under their desks for safety. A teacher of mine once said this was so that we could kiss our asses goodbye. We have a new threat of armageddon now, but our capacity to cope with it may not be much better than before.

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: ideas for Deep Adaptation - facing near-term human extinction from climate change [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #25856336 - 03/06/19 02:18 PM (5 years, 24 days ago)

the way I read that pdf, an adaptation direction to survive starvation and war has not even been conceived.

--------------------

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: ideas for Deep Adaptation - facing near-term human extinction from climate change [Re: redgreenvines]
    #25856917 - 03/06/19 06:42 PM (5 years, 23 days ago)

i dunno, what can be done, OP?

other than greater energy efficiency and cleaner energy (ie, fusion, etc) what else can be done? rolling power outage? purview of economic trends will have to satisfy that requirement. oil will go up as people will want to heat their homes. etc.

really i see no viable solutions other than technology.

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
Re: ideas for Deep Adaptation - facing near-term human extinction from climate change [Re: akira_akuma]
    #25857521 - 03/07/19 01:49 AM (5 years, 23 days ago)

here's some content

PS: i like not having a car. this is why. but hey, who the fuck listens to me.
PPS: and yeah, i've never had a car. because of obvious reasons. but also because people won't give up their ways which, even sans the environmental arguments, it's just...virus-like. so....

but the arguments based on the dangers of C02 were always wrong, by the by- it was always a matter of the methane. it's too bad there is so much confusion out there because of so much misinformation touted by even environmentalists themselves.

Edited by akira_akuma (03/07/19 01:48 PM)

Offlinebeforethedawn
Re: ideas for Deep Adaptation - facing near-term human extinction from climate change [Re: akira_akuma] * 2
    #25857832 - 03/07/19 07:57 AM (5 years, 23 days ago)

An era of total cooperation must unfold, and never end. The key to it lies in recognition of the Self as a general social fact. The Self reveals we know nothing, by presenting endless perceptual domains of what reality could be when realized.

It could be a vision. A vision of Heaven. Only we are somehow looking away, most of us.

The solution to non-cooperation is exceedingly simple; there is only one fact, one happiness - the Self.

--------------------
Hostile humankind
Can't you see you're fucking blind?

InvisibleFiery
Sword of Fire
Other User Gallery

Re: ideas for Deep Adaptation - facing near-term human extinction from climate change [Re: redgreenvines] * 1
    #25860028 - 03/08/19 02:57 AM (5 years, 22 days ago)

Everyone who lives on the coastline is moving away.

Property values are plummeting.

It's a big scandal in the real estate market.

But the fact remains, there is still this lifetime to enjoy.

That's what people "holding on" are doing.

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: ideas for Deep Adaptation - facing near-term human extinction from climate change [Re: beforethedawn] * 2
    #25861338 - 03/08/19 03:35 PM (5 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

beforethedawn said:
An era of total cooperation must unfold, and never end. The key to it lies in recognition of the Self as a general social fact.

I agree with the sentiment, but a tree left in poor soil will continue to grow poorly.

Improving the soil, IMO would mean improving the material world and providing for material means in a way that has not been done before. I do not expect everyone to learn to love themselves in current conditions. Without technological advancements that change the landscape the age of Aquarius will be the same as the age of Pisces.

I suspect fusion would/will go a long way towards changing the scarcity mindset. With unlimited energy anything is possible... that includes both light and dark scenarios... but when such potential exists then I would have more confidence in the population, being able to put aside the most base of desires, to survive at all costs. Even and especially those in power with grand riches may find that power is not as important as they thought it was when such conditions are feasible.

There will be further problems to solve because we will remain creatures, but with diminished survival/scarcity concerns I think humanity will be in a better place to heed the words of the ancient sages who said we must be a pupil of ourselves rather than a pupil of authority, if we are to find the Self, the heart of God, that is not our false self.

So, if the key has been around since forever, and has been accepted by something less than a critical mass, what is the key to making the key more available to the masses?

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Edited by Rahz (03/08/19 05:02 PM)

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#25861519 - 03/08/19 05:04 PM (5 years, 21 days ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
Apparently nothing in our power can mitigate disastrous flooding, famine, war, and weather upheaval fueling complete destruction of our social fabric and economies.

If it is already too late, then there is nothing to be done. Enjoy.

--------------------
rahz

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
Re: ideas for Deep Adaptation - facing near-term human extinction from climate change [Re: Rahz]
    #25865094 - 03/10/19 09:48 AM (5 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

Rahz said:
Quote:

redgreenvines said:

If it is already too late, then there is nothing to be done. Enjoy.

The entire world has never agreed on policy and it won't happen now.

Maybe we need green houses and methods to create good dirt?

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: ideas for Deep Adaptation - facing near-term human extinction from climate change [Re: XUL]
    #25865164 - 03/10/19 10:21 AM (5 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
Maybe we need green houses and methods to create good dirt?

I think the trend is towards more efficient processes. HVAC systems continue to become more efficient. Housing codes require better insulation over time. Battery technology will progress and make electrical mobility cheaper and more feasible, etc.

Good ideas that should be done, but to really make a change we need fusion or similar analog. We could move greenhouses underground or into multi story buildings and grow everything we need with no soil. Closed systems would recycle waste water. With unlimited energy there's really no problem that couldn't be solved.

--------------------
rahz

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: ideas for Deep Adaptation - facing near-term human extinction from climate change [Re: Rahz] * 1
    #25865673 - 03/10/19 01:46 PM (5 years, 20 days ago)

the form of capitalism that is based upon growth needs to evolve to non-growth; stasis and survival are key! Growth is counterproductive at this phase.

Laws should assure the following:
1. the shift towards less individual (and corporate) energy and resource consumption (bank assessed and rewarded).
2. the  shift from beef to alternate protein
3. the shift from cars to alternate transport and telecommuting
4. the shift from building with concrete to methods like 're-inforced dirt', and recycled materials.
5. the shift away from the use of plastics and plastic filaments to recycled materials and filaments.
6. the shift away from airline driven tourism packages to reduce flights and away from unnecessary international conventions, followed by conversion of 1000's of convention halls to emergency accommodation and refugee support, possibly by redeploying the airline and hospitality industry into a preparedness industry.
7. the revision of wealth laws such that trusts, and legacies are taxed at 80% to finance and facilitate immediate large scale redeployment of energy sector, automobile sector, and cattle companies and people into
  • emergency support training and fulfillment,
  • alternative energy research and development,
  • strengthening of food chain and health resources
  • secure infrastructure for information and communication systems
  • develop contingency plans for time capsules and long term subterranean (off world) living sanctuaries that can withstand at least a 1000 year apocalypse.

I am not sure what is in the green new deal but I am sure it does not get close to this.

--------------------

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25865767 - 03/10/19 02:14 PM (5 years, 20 days ago)

If that was a recommendation, yes.

If that is law, hell no.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineCory Duchesne
tabernacle
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nova Scotia
    #25866056 - 03/10/19 04:24 PM (5 years, 19 days ago)

Dr. Patrick Moore takes issue with NGOs over climate, genetically modified organisms and the "truth" about carbon.

“Cynicism is easy. Mimicry is easy. Optimistic contrarians are the rarest breed.”

– Naval Ravikant

--------------------
C.G. Jung: "Please remember, it is what you are that heals, not what you know."

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - Carl Jung

Krishna, as his friends called him, freely admitted his compulsive lying. He blamed it on simple fear of having his deceptions detected." NOTES OF A FRINGE-WATCHER MARTIN GARDNER on J Krishnamurti

"All your questions are born out of the answers you already have. Any answer anybody gives should put an end to your questions. But it does not." [UG-K]

OfflineCountHTML
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Loc: Maine
Re: ideas for Deep Adaptation - facing near-term human extinction from climate change [Re: Cory Duchesne] * 1
    #25866121 - 03/10/19 04:52 PM (5 years, 19 days ago)

This is likely going to be a catalyst that brings us face to face with the unsustainability of extractive and growth-based capitalism and push us toward something more sustainable. We get set in our ways and often only adjust in the face of intense and proximate pain, on the individual level, and intense and proximate catastrophe, on the collective level.

I’m not sure to what extent our cultures as “ways of doing things” are determined by people at proverbial smoky-room drawing-boards or emerge as an arbitrary manner of immediate utility. I don’t know what can be done about any of this.

What I do know is that human beings are three-pound belief-engines on wheels, and nothing will likely be done about this issue until the countries contributing to it the most experience profound upheaval. It will be too late. I’m curious to see what emerges, but the catastrophe, suffering and loss will be profound and tragic. We are, at least right now, at the mercy of the balance, health and abundance of the global ecosystem we inhabit.

We are fairly good at managing immediate social and practical problems. We are maladapted for solving global problems or even moving closer to the level of cooperation needed. People go home and kiss their children but doubt climate change or vote in candidates who vehemently deny it. It’s just how human beings are.

What is incredible to me is how they keep the lid on this.

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Re: ideas for Deep Adaptation - facing near-term human extinction from climate change [Re: CountHTML] * 1
    #25866180 - 03/10/19 05:17 PM (5 years, 19 days ago)

Dianne Feinstein recently told school children that they were being unrealistic to expect radical green overhauls in 12 years.

The "world is going to end" scam has been told over and over for decades.

Even Feinstein isn't falling for it again.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

OfflineCory Duchesne
tabernacle
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nova Scotia
Re: ideas for Deep Adaptation - facing near-term human extinction from climate change [Re: CountHTML]
    #25866269 - 03/10/19 05:58 PM (5 years, 19 days ago)

After leaving Greenpeace Moore has gone on to become what he calls a sensible environmentalist and explains how Greenpeace and other likeminded organizations have moved away from using science as a basis for their projects.

--------------------
C.G. Jung: "Please remember, it is what you are that heals, not what you know."

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - Carl Jung

Krishna, as his friends called him, freely admitted his compulsive lying. He blamed it on simple fear of having his deceptions detected." NOTES OF A FRINGE-WATCHER MARTIN GARDNER on J Krishnamurti

"All your questions are born out of the answers you already have. Any answer anybody gives should put an end to your questions. But it does not." [UG-K]

Edited by Cory Duchesne (03/10/19 08:53 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: ideas for Deep Adaptation - facing near-term human extinction from climate change [Re: XUL] * 1
    #25866475 - 03/10/19 08:01 PM (5 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
Dianne Feinstein recently told school children that they were being unrealistic to expect radical green overhauls in 12 years.

Feinstein is a side issue.
climate change is underway, and is being ignored or treated like an amusing meaningless anomaly.

--------------------

Invisiblesudly
Quasar Praiser

#25867026 - 03/11/19 05:07 AM (5 years, 19 days ago)

H.R.1 and Green New Deal? Phhhhhhhttt!!

--------------------
I am whatever Darwin needs me to be.

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

#25867080 - 03/11/19 05:59 AM (5 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
Quote:

XUL said:

Feinstein is a side issue.
climate change is underway, and is being ignored or treated like an amusing meaningless anomaly.

Feinstein keeps getting elected, which means it's not a side issue. People obviously like her.

So it seems like the Dem party may be fractured and can't agree on whether not to continue a false narrative (the world will end every 10 years) or a narrative like Feinstein (10 years is unrealistic.).

Wake up:

Priest: "Do what I say or you will go to hell."

Politicians: "Do what I say or the earth will end."

The climate power grab has been used before and is thankfully exposed. Further, going green will not stop the entire earth from polluting. Only one thing would do that: war. Like the green new crusades.

--------------------
TRUMP 2020

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale