Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
We've lost war on drugs, must we lose our rights?
    #2586519 - 04/21/04 12:36 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

http://www.suntimes.com/output/steinberg/cst-nws-stein21.html

April 21, 2004

BY NEIL STEINBERG SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Next week in Washington, D.C., opening arguments begin in a federal lawsuit that you might not have heard about. A few months back, a new law tucked discreetly into a government spending bill cut off federal funds to any public transit system that accepts advertising that advocates certain changes in the nation's drug laws. If the Chicago Transit Authority accepts an ad from a group trying to improve the terminally ill's access to medical marijuana, the CTA will lose its federal funding.

Whatever you think of U.S. drug policy -- words like "failed" and "Draconian" automatically leap to my mind, but you might think first of "expensive'' and "futile" -- you probably, one hopes, feel the matter should at least be discussed, and that people have the right to air their views and buy ads to disseminate them.

We've lost that right, another collateral victim of our lost drug war. The warm glow associated with being "tough on drugs'' has caused politicians to fall over themselves passing inane and excessive laws, such as this law, or the one cutting off college grants to anyone with a drug conviction -- which means you can murder someone and get a Pell grant to go to college, but that ounce of pot will bar you for life. Your tax dollars at work.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: We've lost war on drugs, must we lose our rights? [Re: Adom]
    #2586539 - 04/21/04 12:45 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

That is a very sad article.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: We've lost war on drugs, must we lose our rights? [Re: Adom]
    #2586815 - 04/21/04 02:24 PM (13 years, 10 days ago)

Sooooo... if I am running for office and my campaign policies include decriminalizing drug use, I cannot advertise on any public transit system? I doubt that this would hold up in courts... still scarry.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: We've lost war on drugs, must we lose our rights? [Re: Seuss]
    #2606299 - 04/27/04 02:24 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Sooooo... if I am running for office and my campaign policies include decriminalizing drug use, I cannot advertise on any public transit system? I doubt that this would hold up in courts... still scarry.

It probably wouldn't hold up even if you weren't running for office, but until its taken to court its still the law.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service