Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinematt66
Loc: Connecticut
Questions after researching casing options
    #2585505 - 04/21/04 12:16 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I just did a shitload of research about casing and grain spawning, and have a lot more reading to do, but let me ask a few questions now before I forget them:

(1)Moe's outdoor, and a few other teks say Hay is OK. How about year-old hay that wintered in my shed (looks/smells fine)?

(2)Where can I get whole grain organic rye (and is this the same as rye berries)?

(3)Do you need a pressure cooker to sterilize rye, or will the pillowcase method work?

(4)Do you really need to use a fucking food processor to break up mycelium you plan on adding to rye, or can you just put it in a ziploc and crumble well?

(5)I've come across three different verm to brf ratios when mixing the substrate for a pf style cake grow (the only type of grow I've done up to this point). 2:1 (which is what I've used), 140ml to 40ml, and 2/3cup verm to 1/4 cup brf. Which is best, or does it depend?

(6)Let's say I have "enough" colonized jars to play with, and that I want to keep a couple as cakes (to be safe), try an outdoor grow with some (fresh or spent), and case most the rest. What's a good/easy outdoor tek to use if I live in the northeast and it's spring right now (lows 40 degrees Fahrenheit at night, highs 70's in the daytime, and will gradually get warmer over the next few weeks)?...I'm thinking of giving Moe's a shot cause he's a funny bastard. And finally, how 'bout a good/easy/cheap/high-yield casing tek (straight verm, 50/50, coco coir, compost, cow crap)?

Thanks!

--------------------
Truth is the daughter of time, time doesn't exist...
Truth cannot exist within the human convention of time- The Goat Hath Spoken

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLoki
Ferret Farmer
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Questions after researching casing options [Re: matt66]
    #2585714 - 04/21/04 12:53 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

1) As long as its still dry then it should be good to go. Straw is better than hay though imho.

2) Healthfood, or animal feed stores

3) You need a pressure cooker, or a microwave, pasturising wont work with grains, or it wont work well.

4) either, but the more and smaller the peices the faster the
colonisation

5) I suppose it depends, but for me the best is 2:1

6) Cant help here, I have never grown cubensis outdoors.

Offlinematt66
Loc: Connecticut
Re: Questions after researching casing options [Re: Loki]
    #2586351 - 04/21/04 09:15 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for the reply Loki-very helpful. It's funny you should mention straw, because just two days ago my girlfriend made me cut some of the African grass she was growing in her garden (it was four feet high and very robust). Although it's "foreign", it typifies everything I think of when I hear the word "straw". Potential problem however: it's sitting in a pile in my woods and it rained a little last night. Should it be ok, should I bring it inside to dry out before starting, or what? Also, I can't find a specific microwave sterilization tek. Should I just search the forums for discussion, or do you know of a link or quick explanation?

--------------------
Truth is the daughter of time, time doesn't exist...
Truth cannot exist within the human convention of time- The Goat Hath Spoken

InvisibleLoki
Ferret Farmer
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Questions after researching casing options [Re: matt66]
    #2586368 - 04/21/04 09:23 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

This is how i used to do it using a microwave and steamer.

Unsure about the african grass, could work out ok, but
nice dryed yellow straw is cheap :wink:
Try the gras as a side experiment maybe.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates