Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinebluegill
intergalactic toejam
 User Gallery

I am an amateur programmer
    #25622138 - 11/17/18 11:12 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

I was unemployed for 5 months after quitting a mediocre case management job and changed careers to healthcare IT. During those five months, I worked toward IT certs, but I also brushed up on some programming skills, which I had cultivated as a teenager and sporadically as a college student to make video games. I know C++ basics and my strong suit is full stack web development, but I have been using Python A LOT lately. At work I am automating spreadsheet work and doing some webscraping with Selenium.

On the side, I have a few programming projects, but really I am just looking for any ideas to roll with so I can continue learning. I am wondering if anybody has any ideas that might benefit this community, or make mushroom cultivation any easier - such as tracking tools. I am not comfortable with using arduino or other microcontrollers at this point, so I don't think I am ready to try and do something like automate temp or fanning controls.

Please share your ideas here or message me. Alternatively, if you're a programmer as well, feel free to comment below on what you're working on, or if you'd like to collaborate on something, let me know.

--------------------
"Psychedelics are like carnival tickets, you buy the ticket and take the ride, then you get off and go home. What your talking about is physical death. That's when you're pulled into the carnival against your will and your stuck there for eternity."

Edited by bluegill (11/17/18 11:13 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNymphaea
Money-less Wanderer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mitten Flag
Re: I am an amateur programmer [Re: bluegill]
    #25705979 - 12/27/18 01:46 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I have an idea for something simple that I will need to make or have made at some point.  Could possibly pay if I need it made.  I need to write it out first though and I for sure will and can let you know soon if your at all interested.

--------------------
:huxleyfacepalm:

Plant Trees

Offlinebluegill
intergalactic toejam
 User Gallery

Re: I am an amateur programmer [Re: Nymphaea]
    #25708803 - 12/28/18 10:38 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, let me know!

--------------------
"Psychedelics are like carnival tickets, you buy the ticket and take the ride, then you get off and go home. What your talking about is physical death. That's when you're pulled into the carnival against your will and your stuck there for eternity."

OfflineMUSHYCAT
Mushroom intrigued
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia Flag
    #25755369 - 01/20/19 06:14 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

That sounds awesome, maybe you could make some grow log software?

Invisibleninja cat 09
A paranoid android
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mexico Flag
Re: I am an amateur programmer [Re: MUSHYCAT]
    #25779271 - 01/30/19 01:59 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Check out the requests library, it'll probably be faster and less bandwidth intensive when it comes to web scraping since you don't have to load and parse the javascript, html, css or images. It'll also teach you a bit about cookie/session management. Some specific sites are better with selenium (for example, firewalls that are a bitch to automate due to "security" restrictions), but most will be parsed fine and faster with requests.

--------------------
             :crazykitty:

Offlinebluegill
intergalactic toejam
 User Gallery

Re: I am an amateur programmer [Re: ninja cat 09]
    #25782750 - 01/31/19 11:45 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Right on, I bookmarked that for easy access :wink:

--------------------

OfflineRoosterQube
Stranger

#25848528 - 03/02/19 07:38 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

All the best man, I've tinkered on the side with projects but never really finished any.

I've had good success with the udemy courses

OfflineChwyn
Bacteria Rancher

Re: I am an amateur programmer [Re: RoosterQube] * 1
    #25863043 - 03/09/19 11:50 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I control my steamer with an arduino. I also have a semi automated substrate bagger that uses some fancy stuff. My advice is to just get an arduino uno and some supplies and dive right in! Theyre only like 6 bucks on ebay (less than a sandwich!) so you dont have much to lose but lots to gain! Currently Im working on a management program to keep track of batches and other info. I call it the "Mushroom Managment System" mms :smile: If you want to collaborate or need advice on robotics/automation feel free to ask.

--------------------

Offlinebluegill
intergalactic toejam
 User Gallery

Re: I am an amateur programmer [Re: Chwyn]
    #25886453 - 03/20/19 06:51 PM (5 years, 28 days ago)

I tried to make a breadboard arduino once. I didn't have the hardware to flash the chip though. Kinda glad I didn't, though. I am not at all familiar with C...

--------------------

Invisibleninja cat 09
A paranoid android
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mexico Flag
    #25963365 - 04/29/19 08:26 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

Sounds like you had an arduino mini pro? You can get some cheap ones for like a dollar off alibaba or ebay (I assume, I use my regional version of ebay).

You can use Java for em' too.

--------------------
             :crazykitty:

Offlinebluegill
intergalactic toejam
 User Gallery

Re: I am an amateur programmer [Re: ninja cat 09]
    #25965645 - 05/01/19 03:49 AM (4 years, 11 months ago)

I actually have a Raspberry Pi now. I haven't really had time to use it with my new job. Learned a little bit of R today helping my friend with her college homework!

--------------------

OfflineChwyn
Bacteria Rancher

Re: I am an amateur programmer [Re: bluegill] * 1
    #25966276 - 05/01/19 12:54 PM (4 years, 11 months ago)

instead of buying addons for the pi you can make them for super cheap using an arduino. Im talking about analog to digital converters and stuff.

--------------------

OfflinePyroboy4206
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26137877 - 08/15/19 11:49 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

this thread fascinates me

OfflineFungiMaster
Entrepreneur
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bay Area, CA, USA Flag
    #26294019 - 11/02/19 11:46 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

I know some programming in perl and python. I'm more of a systems admin / network guy. Yah the raspberry pi is cheap.

--------------------

https://tinyurl.com/wjuxagb

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck