Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Draft concerns revisited -- They mentioned it on the news!!
    #2585995 - 04/21/04 06:24 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Maybe a couple of weeks ago, I posted my concerns about the Draft in this thread here:  My draft post The support that everyone offered was great, and really brought alot of my anxiety down. 

Well, guess what?  This morning I was flipping through the channels while eating a baked potatoe and I stopped on Fox News.  Yeah, I know it's Fox News, but sometimes I watch it to see what's up. 

Today, the stupid news reporters mentioned that senators are now looking at whether or not it will be a good time to bring back the Draft since all our allies are pulling out of Iraq.  The news reporters cheerfully reported that the Draft will be spread across all walks of life and society in America, so that every citizen can bear a share of the burdon in Iraq. 

They said it so freaking CHEERFULLY!!!  :sad:  I'm freaking out again, because if they're mentioning it on mainstream news, then that sets off warning bells.  I just can't believe that I heard them (the senators) say publically on mainstream news, "We may have to reinstate the draft," and the reporters were all for it.  I mean, inserting the idea into the average American's mind that the Draft might happen again and that we should all support it might be the first step to it actually happening.  I just feel like "IT" has started.  I feel like them mentioning that the Draft might and should come back on mainstream news is the beginning of the process for it to happen. 

Damn, I don't know what else to say except now my flight response is kicking in.  I have to get Kevin and I out of here before it's too late.  I also feel really angry.  I'm trying not to let it get me down though, because I was having a great night.  *takes deep breath*

So what does everyone make of this?

*me*

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSpecialEd
+ one

Loc: : Gringo
Re: Draft concerns revisited -- They mentioned it on the news!! [Re: MOTH]
    #2586011 - 04/21/04 06:59 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

I'd say you have until about november 2004 to leave.

--------------------
"Plus one upvote +1..."
--- //
-- :meff:
  /l_l\/
--\-/----

OfflineProtester
Stoner ReekingHavok

Re: Draft concerns revisited -- They mentioned it on the news!! [Re: SpecialEd]
    #2586068 - 04/21/04 09:00 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

Im not going either man rather see my self locked up or something than fight for some shit i never supported.

--------------------
I work my shitty 9-5 and I pay my taxes, I'm not hurting anybody else. So why do you care what i do in my spare time.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #2586138 - 04/21/04 09:49 AM (13 years, 8 days ago)

> So what does everyone make of this?

I wouldn't worry about it until after November. Bush knows that a draft would be an election killer and wont allow that to happen... if he gets elected again, then who knows.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male

Loc: The Garden State(NJ)
    #2586296 - 04/21/04 10:52 AM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Does that mean that burning draft cards will be 'IN' again? Seriously, reinstating the draft is some fucked up shit.Maybe there should be mandatory drug testing before they draft ya! :spliff: :bong: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :beer: :grin:

--------------------
"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

Offlinejfeow
chelsea-chelsea
    #2586339 - 04/21/04 11:09 AM (13 years, 7 days ago)

so many ways to die; going while tryin to save the lives of innocent people(ie iraqis or your commrades) aint the worst way i could think of

--------------------
freedon aint free and i support israel

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Draft concerns revisited -- They mentioned it on the news!! [Re: jfeow]
    #2586366 - 04/21/04 11:22 AM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Being essentially FORCED to do it you mean, in a war that began under dubious pretenses that you don't agree with? Being seperated from your husband, or wife or family, and having your life completely disrupted because of government interference? Possibily having your husband or wife KILLED in battle, while you also are killing other human beings???

It is the WORST thing I can absolutely think of. I am HORRIFIED that the government wants to uproot the home my husband and I have worked so hard for. I feel incredibly threatened by the mere suggestion of the Draft, and I will do everything in my power to protect and prevent my family (meaning, my husband and I) from going. My husband feels the same way, and is just as adamently aghast at the fact that they might reinstate this Draft, as I am.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

#2586444 - 04/21/04 11:58 AM (13 years, 7 days ago)

By the way, I didn't mean to sound harsh in the above post, but I just feel really anxious and scared about the entire Draft thing so I guess it came out like that.  :frown:

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #2587717 - 04/21/04 07:06 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Even though I don't share your views about a draft(I'm all for it under certain circumstances if the need arises) I will tell you that there are several disqualifying factors that could keep you and/or you husband from being selected.

If I remember correctly, you have a child, and therefore have no worries as far as you being drafted. There are a miriad of reasons why your husband could be disqualified, ranging from undue hardship placed on the family to physical disabilities. Do some research and try to find out what may work for you. I seriously believe that you will find that your fears are unfounded.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Draft concerns revisited -- They mentioned it on the news!! [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2588680 - 04/21/04 11:09 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Bush has a very good chance of winning (he's ahead in the polls, albeit by only a few points,) and now they want the draft reinstated. More and more people are against the government's war on drugs than from a few years ago.

I see the makings of a revolution.

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #2588741 - 04/21/04 11:22 PM (13 years, 7 days ago)

i have heard that the first born son can not be drafted, and that felons cannot be drafted, also those that have been comitted to an institution for mental problems and cannot own guns cannot go.

but if they try and draft me, they are going to have to bust down my door, and fight me for my life, and im not goig to go easy. Is it legal to own assault rifles anymore? it seems like a good time to get one

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Draft concerns revisited -- They mentioned it on the news!! [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2589654 - 04/22/04 03:05 AM (13 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Ekstaza said:
Even though I don't share your views about a draft(I'm all for it under certain circumstances if the need arises) I will tell you that there are several disqualifying factors that could keep you and/or you husband from being selected.

If I remember correctly, you have a child, and therefore have no worries as far as you being drafted. There are a miriad of reasons why your husband could be disqualified, ranging from undue hardship placed on the family to physical disabilities. Do some research and try to find out what may work for you. I seriously believe that you will find that your fears are unfounded.

No, we don't have a kid.  :crazy: But you're probably right.  *sigh* I should probably try and think these things through before I freak out.  Also, Kevin is an only child in his family, and I have a dubious mental health history.  And he told me yesterday that his rich grandparents would probably pay for us to get out of the country if the Draft goes. 

So I'm calmer now (thanks again guys  :heart:)

truly,

*me*

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #2589728 - 04/22/04 03:40 AM (13 years, 7 days ago)

i'd say fuck off and ditch to canada

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2589736 - 04/22/04 03:43 AM (13 years, 7 days ago)

If I got drafted, I'd challenge it on the grounds of the 13th Ammendment, which abolishes slavery and involuntary servitude.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflineEkstaza
stranger thanmost
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #2590311 - 04/22/04 10:59 AM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Sorry, I don't why I thought you had said that you had a child in some prior thread. A few of the things that you have listed are valid reasons to not be drafted. Personally, I don't see it happening. Even the mainliners would, IMO, raise hell about it. There's just no good reason right now, to reinstate the draft.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineCeeEssGee
Canadian-American

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
    #2590377 - 04/22/04 11:27 AM (13 years, 6 days ago)

One thing that the US has learned, is that troops that don't want to be there, can be more a hindrance than a benefit.  Really, if you try as hard as you can to say that you don't want to be there, then.. you won't be there.  Of course there's a bureaucratic way you need to go about things, but it's basically the same thing, but more boring.  :smile:

--------------------
Why, sirrah, why may a caudled fillhorse be deemed the brother to a hiren candle in the night? Withal, because a candle may be greased, yet a fillhorse be without a fat argier!

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Re: Draft concerns revisited -- They mentioned it on the news!! [Re: CeeEssGee]
    #2590421 - 04/22/04 11:39 AM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Heh, yeah.  Sorry for how frantic I sounded in this thread, guys.  I'm chilling out now.  I must be the Jump-To-Conclusions Queen!  :nut:

OfflineCeeEssGee
Canadian-American

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
    #2590576 - 04/22/04 12:24 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Yeah, look at what I said in your other post. It's all about how you react to things. Even a really bad thing can seem not-so-bad if you don't react to it in a bad way. People get through a lot worse things than a draft..

--------------------
Why, sirrah, why may a caudled fillhorse be deemed the brother to a hiren candle in the night? Withal, because a candle may be greased, yet a fillhorse be without a fat argier!

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #2593665 - 04/23/04 04:14 AM (13 years, 6 days ago)

If I felt that my country's cause was just and right, I would go fight with them.

I do not feel that my country's current leaders' aims are just and right, and would not want to support their cause. I am not going to join the United States military

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

OfflineJameZTheNewbie
The Mahatma OfZalu

Loc: pass the gates of hell 2 ...
    #2593696 - 04/23/04 04:40 AM (13 years, 6 days ago)

i think the draft is gunna happen with kerry or bush it wont matter. the iraq war is just starting. everyone knows that. the real question is will we allow them to waste our resources and drain our defficet and use humans as a resource for the goal of "democracy" aka oil. and if the answer is yes then where will it lead us to another winless situatuion.

if and when they start a draft im thinking it might be like during the civil war when riots broke out. with a little help of course.

--------------------
Mice have feelings

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being