Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, HEPA Filter, Hygrometer, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinewildfox
Adventurer?
Male

Difficulty with pinning/fruiting
    #25859288 - 03/07/19 09:21 PM (2 months, 14 days ago)

Hello! I am mid-way through my first growing experience. I feel silly asking questions and am happy to delete if this doesn't comply with the rules/etiquette of the board.

I know bulk teks are superior to the PF tek but had read that PF was forgiving for beginners so (after following sterilization procedures very closely) I inoculated 10 jars forty days ago. I closely followed the tek which I referenced from a different website, but frequently came here during the process for elucidation on certain steps (I also acquired spores from vendors from here). About 22 days after inoculation, fluffy and beautiful mycelium had completely overtaken the substrate in the jars and I allowed another 7 days for consolidation. Since birthing, I have read that one needs to wait for pinning in vitro for better success, but didn't know that at the time. I also was stoked that by coincidence, I was birthing the cakes on my birthday.

I dunked the cakes for 24 hours, rolled in dry verm, and put into a SGFC that is built to spec. It's elevated off the ground, holes on every side, etc. I read 3-5 days was all it'd take for pinning. 5 days passed. "Be patient!" every similar thread said, including threads where similar souls had waited over 10 days and had no pins. It hurt, but I remained patient. I am now nearing day 14 and the cakes look exactly as they did after rolling them in verm 2 weeks ago.

My question is this: I live in a very dry climate. Ambient RH (from a cheap but highly rated hygrometer) in my place is around 30%. I don't have an analog meter for my SGFC but I noticed that despite my 3x misting/day and 5-6x fanning/day that my perlite seems very dry. Evaporation must be occurring, but potentially... too fast? For reference, I started placing soaked paper towels on the walls of the chamber before work and I return from work with them being completely dry. I'm worried my cakes have dried out too. I briefly took them out (using sterilized gloves and resting them on a sterile surface) on day 11 to add more dampened perlite, but nothing seems to be happening. I have a ceiling fan running on low in the room and an air purifier about 7 feet away from the chamber. With the dryness of my climate, I was thinking it might be best to re-dunk the cakes for another 24hrs and re-soak/strain the perlite in my shower. Good idea or bad idea? Any other thoughts as to what I might be doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated and I am sorry for a redundant thread.

On a humorous and related note, the night of day 6 in the SGFC, I had a vivid dream where I checked on them and suddenly, giant amanitas had overtaken the cakes (weird as they are cubes), then on day 7, I had another vivid dream where the cubes had grown so tall I couldn't put the lid on the chamber :grin: NO SUCH LUCK IN THE MORNING.

Edited by wildfox (03/07/19 10:06 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEp1429
Stranger
Re: Difficulty with pinning/fruiting [Re: wildfox]
    #25859322 - 03/07/19 09:41 PM (2 months, 14 days ago)

Try letting them dry out a touch.  Evaporation helps cause pinning.

I’m not suggesting that you let them shrivel up, but try giving them two mistings a day for a day or two.

--------------------

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
Re: Difficulty with pinning/fruiting [Re: Ep1429]
    #25859472 - 03/07/19 11:03 PM (2 months, 14 days ago)

It seems like you have a drying problem. Do you have picture of the jars before you birthed them?

At this point I would suggest getting some coir (check Home depot or Lowes or online on Amazon), taking about 160-180 grams of dry coir, prepping it according to Bod's unmodified tub tek, crumbling your cakes with it, mixing them with hydrated coir and filling a shoebox with it. This will get you back to properly hydrated mix. Let that colonize with a regular white lid, then once colonized cover it with another shoebox.  And by shoebox I mean Sterilite 1642 container available at Walmart, target, home depot and any number of other big stores or at Amazon.
It's so much easier to maintain proper humidity in a shoebox then in a dreaded SGFC.

Invisiblenube424
Male

Re: Difficulty with pinning/fruiting [Re: denger]
    #25859620 - 03/08/19 12:01 AM (2 months, 14 days ago)

Quote:

denger said:
It seems like you have a drying problem. Do you have picture of the jars before you birthed them?

At this point I would suggest getting some coir (check Home depot or Lowes or online on Amazon), taking about 160-180 grams of dry coir, prepping it according to Bod's unmodified tub tek, crumbling your cakes with it, mixing them with hydrated coir and filling a shoebox with it. This will get you back to properly hydrated mix. Let that colonize with a regular white lid, then once colonized cover it with another shoebox.  And by shoebox I mean Sterilite 1642 container available at Walmart, target, home depot and any number of other big stores or at Amazon.
It's so much easier to maintain proper humidity in a shoebox then in a dreaded SGFC.

:whathesaid:

OfflineIts_pat
Stranger
Other
Loc: Michigan
Re: Difficulty with pinning/fruiting [Re: nube424]
    #25860089 - 03/08/19 06:14 AM (2 months, 14 days ago)

Pet stores usually have coir also just an fyi

Invisiblenube424
Male

Re: Difficulty with pinning/fruiting [Re: Its_pat]
    #25860091 - 03/08/19 06:16 AM (2 months, 14 days ago)

Sometimes u have to go to a couple cuz they don't stock up often, but if u check a couple u should find it.

OfflineEp1429
Stranger
    #25860148 - 03/08/19 07:49 AM (2 months, 14 days ago)

Walmart is selling 5 lb blocks of coir in their garden center for the first time this year.  Worked the prices out, and it’s 1/8th the cost of the Eco Earth sold at PetSmart.

--------------------

Invisiblenube424
Male

#25860181 - 03/08/19 08:21 AM (2 months, 14 days ago)

Sweet!

Offlinewildfox
Adventurer?
Male

#25860251 - 03/08/19 09:17 AM (2 months, 14 days ago)

Thanks for the replies, everyone!
When you say taking that quantity of coir for rehydration do you mean total for the 10 cakes? Not having worked with coir before it's hard to picture that amount based off weight. Thanks again! I'll do some research into that tek.

--------------------
"In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

#25860261 - 03/08/19 09:26 AM (2 months, 14 days ago)

I was thinking 6 cakes, sorry for the assumption. Double everything for 10 cakes (including shoeboxes - it will make 2 shoeboxes).

Invisiblenube424
Male

#25860267 - 03/08/19 09:33 AM (2 months, 14 days ago)

A 5lb block of coir? That's way more than 2 shoeboxes... U can make like 2-3 66qt monotubs with that. 650g of coir u can make about 3-4 shoeboxes. A 5lb brick is triple that amount.

OfflineEp1429
Stranger
    #25860298 - 03/08/19 10:03 AM (2 months, 14 days ago)

I believe it’s easier for someone new to think of a 650 g coir brick as “6-7 qts”.

--------------------

Invisiblenube424
Male

#25860309 - 03/08/19 10:14 AM (2 months, 14 days ago)

Isn't it 7-9 :smile:

OfflineEp1429
Stranger
    #25860449 - 03/08/19 11:40 AM (2 months, 14 days ago)

I stand corrected. Package says 7-8. I think of a brick as 7 qt. One brick per three qt spawn.

--------------------

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

#25860493 - 03/08/19 11:55 AM (2 months, 14 days ago)

I never use whole bricks. I get 10lb ones. So I just chip off whatever I need (160-180gm per shoebox), multiply that by 5 and thats my water. In the pot water goes, boils, gets the coir and gets a blanket wrap and sits overnight. That's it folks.

Offlinewildfox
Adventurer?
Male

#25861509 - 03/08/19 06:57 PM (2 months, 14 days ago)

I reviewed the tek and found where to get the supplies. In the video linked to the tek, the creator shows how he mixes bulk spawn into the coir. How should I go ahead about crumbling the brf cakes? Should I re-dunk them? Or at least rinse the dry verm layer off? Would it be like: combine ~350g coir and ~1750g boiling water in cleaned out & insulated container, allow to cool, break apart (crumble) brf cakes into this after it cools down, evenly distribute into 2 clean shoeboxes, invert the lids, pray for patience? You mentioned combing the two with more hydrated coir or am I misunderstanding? Is contam risk elevated due to cakes having been sitting in sgfc for two weeks? Thanks again :smile:

--------------------

OfflineEp1429
Stranger
    #25861646 - 03/08/19 08:10 PM (2 months, 14 days ago)

The contam risk is already 100%.  That’s the case as soon as the jar is opened and exposed to the air.  Just a matter of time, at that point.

You use a cheese grater to bust up the brf cakes.  You can mix the coir and spawn barehanded, no need to be sterile.

--------------------

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

#25861829 - 03/08/19 10:22 PM (2 months, 13 days ago)

Quote:

wildfox said:
I reviewed the tek and found where to get the supplies. In the video linked to the tek, the creator shows how he mixes bulk spawn into the coir. How should I go ahead about crumbling the brf cakes? Should I re-dunk them? Or at least rinse the dry verm layer off? Would it be like: combine ~350g coir and ~1750g boiling water in cleaned out & insulated container, allow to cool, break apart (crumble) brf cakes into this after it cools down, evenly distribute into 2 clean shoeboxes, invert the lids, pray for patience? You mentioned combing the two with more hydrated coir or am I misunderstanding? Is contam risk elevated due to cakes having been sitting in sgfc for two weeks? Thanks again :smile:

No additional coir, just 350g plus water. I usually crumble cakes by hand. At this stage you do not have to worry as much about contamination because presumably all your easily contaminatable stuff is already colonized (in cakes). I would not worry about dunking them or removing vermiculite. If it falls off easily when you pick them up then let it fall off, otherwise just include it in the mix. Some people use coarse grate to crumble cakes, I just do it by pulling it apart by hand until I get pieces smaller then a walnut (and mostly bigger then a pea).
If the mycelium is healthy, it will colonize through coir in a few days. If the cakes are already contaminated then you will grow that instead.
I use this tek with every new print I get. Some people advocate for germinating spores on agar, and then isolating from there. But you do not know what you isolate and whether it will fruit or not. By doing cakes/coir process I get to a fruit quickly and I can clone it from there and have a culture that is very likely to fruit well. Worked for me many times. Never had issues with contamination at the coir stage, but I always used healthy fresh cakes, so your mileage may vary.

InvisibleTimboslice

Loc: Gypsy
    #25862198 - 03/09/19 02:23 AM (2 months, 13 days ago)

What variety? PE takes a long ass time and doesnt usually like cakes.

When i did cakes my sgfc's worked "too well" i guess and really dried my shit out, but you cud tell cuz they were blue as fuck. Yours do not look blue. Also i wud not have a fan on in the room. The mechanics of a SGFC negate the need for additional air circulation and i thnk a fan may actually mess things up.

--------------------
Quite... :strokebeard:
Timbo's Gummy Tek
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25896933

Offlinewildfox
Adventurer?
Male

Re: Difficulty with pinning/fruiting [Re: Timboslice]
    #25863073 - 03/09/19 02:09 PM (2 months, 13 days ago)

PE sounded pretty enticing but not great for a newbie so I chose GTs. Wondering if I would have had better luck with B+ but like they say, "a cube is a cube". I'll turn the fan off until I get the coir for the tek mentioned above.

Is it dangerous to re-dunk or just extra risk for some reason?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, HEPA Filter, Hygrometer, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started