Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesycodelix
Honorable Golden Shellback
Male

Loc: Spokane, Washington
Shrooms Are the Safest Drug You Can Take Magic mushrooms are safer, even, than smoking weed. * 2
    #25854672 - 03/05/19 06:43 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

https://www.vice.com/amp/en_in/article/43gey3/mushrooms-are-the-safest-drug-you-can-take

Shrooms Are the Safest Drug You Can Take
Magic mushrooms are safer, even, than smoking weed.
By Susan Rinkunas
|
05 March 2019, 4:03am

Farmer Images / Getty

TWEET
This article originally appeared on VICE US.

Magic mushrooms, the psychedelic drug that can help treat anxiety and depression and could help with addiction, are the safest recreational drug you can take. That's according to the annual Global Drug Survey, which polled close to 120,000 people in 50 countries about their drug and alcohol use.

More than 12,000 people said they did shrooms in 2016 and just 0.2 percent of them said they needed emergency medical care afterward, a rate that was five to six times lower than LSD, cocaine, MDMA, and alcohol, and three times lower than weed.

1495637424350-2251png
courtesy: Global Drug Survey

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegandalfe
Gandalfe
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Shrooms Are the Safest Drug You Can Take Magic mushrooms are safer, even, than smoking weed. [Re: sycodelix]
    #25854935 - 03/05/19 08:55 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

Safer than even water.The only thing safer, is not getting up out of bed, and refusing to go to work.Living is more dangerous than magic mushrooms.

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Shrooms Are the Safest Drug You Can Take Magic mushrooms are safer, even, than smoking weed. [Re: gandalfe]
    #25855374 - 03/06/19 02:12 AM (1 year, 11 months ago)

A sedentary life-style is the #1 killer of adults in the US.

OfflinePeyote Road
Stranger
Male
Loc: Great Lakes State
Re: Shrooms Are the Safest Drug You Can Take Magic mushrooms are safer, even, than smoking weed. [Re: Holybullshit]
    #25855470 - 03/06/19 04:15 AM (1 year, 11 months ago)

That's laughable. Shrooms are not the safest drug you can take, which is actually most likely some herb like chamomile or something.

The problem with these statements is they are so dependent on how you measure safety. For example, ask yourself which would you be more concerned about doing tonight - taking 3 grams of mushrooms or smoking 3 cigarettes? The 3 grams of mushrooms is obviously far more dangerous. You could have a seriously traumatic bad trip that drastically affects the next phase of your life. So if we are going by your immediate future well being shrooms are one of the more dangerous drugs. Of course there is a chance you could have a positive trip and improve your well being, but also the chance of a seriously confusing, traumatizing, or even psychoses inducing bad trip.

Now with cigarettes if you go by short term risks they are one of the safest drugs but if you go by long term they are one of the more dangerous.

So it entirely depends on how you measure danger. Cigarettes are way more likely to kill you in the long term, but if you use that to conclude that taking shrooms every weekend is safer than smoking a few cigarettes every weekend you are using deeply flawed logic.

--------------------
The path of the herbalist is to open ourselves to nature in an innocent and pure way. SHe in turn will open her bounty and reward us with many valuable secrets. May the earth bless you. - Michael Tierra

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Shrooms Are the Safest Drug You Can Take Magic mushrooms are safer, even, than smoking weed. [Re: Peyote Road] * 1
    #25855481 - 03/06/19 04:31 AM (1 year, 11 months ago)

Oh please, first you, and I think knowingly, expand the definition of a drug far past the authors intended use of the word.

And then, perhaps unknowingly, expand the cause of the harm far past the substances found in cubensis mushrooms. In this context we are talking about toxicity and risk of overdose, the study goes one more and counts all emergency situations which result from ingestion of magic mushrooms.  So attacking it based on the idea that eating mushrooms can lead to an existential crisis which then leads to making bad decisions long after its effects have worn off is ridiculous.

I get what you are saying, but it is irrelevant to the topic at hand, and you've placed yourself on such a slippery slope that it would require zero effort to dismantle your argument through reductio ad absurdum.

And All things equal eating mushrooms chronically is absolutely safer than a smoking habit. Not that this exactly the kind of conclusions this particular study would allow you to draw anyways. The study did count for psychosis inducing trips where medical care is needed as well.

Edited by Holybullshit (03/06/19 04:42 AM)

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Re: Shrooms Are the Safest Drug You Can Take Magic mushrooms are safer, even, than smoking weed. [Re: Holybullshit]
    #25856089 - 03/06/19 01:18 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

Polled 120,000 people and 12,000 did mushrooms in the year the poll took place. Yea I'm going to call BS. 10% of this website probably hasn't done shrooms in the last year

--------------------
Everything you need in one spot.

My Q&A thread. Ask me questions here rather than in Private Message
Bod's chat thread
Buy Bod a beer:
BTC: 1G7roCpYmNp4VqnKySQeBkaFTc7JMzKLpL
ETH: 0x2091cE981af8129986C50AC0818e1aCA76076768
DOGE: DQNyGtUNHwYUrGECag1VRmMcf6QVeTY4V1

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Shrooms Are the Safest Drug You Can Take Magic mushrooms are safer, even, than smoking weed. [Re: bodhisatta] * 1
    #25856295 - 03/06/19 03:49 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

I can't exactly provide ironclad evidence to argue with you at this point, in fact I don't really care enough to try to find any.

But I would not be at all surprised if 10% of active members on this forum had ingested mushrooms in the past year, more importantly that 10% of active drug users on this site willing to take a survey about said drug use had ingested mushrooms in the past year.

And even if the reporting user is expanding the timeframe past the question asked, unless they are hiding an emergency medical situation I'm not sure how much it would effect the conclusions drawn.

The GDS is highly reputable, and probably has more experience collecting this data than any other group on Earth. They draw from users around the world, including a lot of countries where relative use of magic mushrooms(compared to say heroin/cocaine/meth is a lot higher than in the US).

If you've never taken one of the surveys which are similar to the  GDS, they are pretty long and thorough, not something someone can just easily blow through and I don't know why anyone would be interested in lying about their mushroom use specifically.

I don't see why it would be so hard to believe...cubensis mushrooms aren't exactly known for being toxic, causing organ failure, or creating an overdose crisis. Those surveyed by the GDS are generally more experienced drug users than the general population, so I have no doubt believing that people who have bad first time reactions to magic mushrooms are being underrepresented.

The GDS says this about it's own limitations caused by the sampling bias and relying on self-nomination.

Quote:

The self-nominating sample were typically in their in 20s and 30s, well-educated, and about 50% went clubbing at least 4 times a year. The major methodological limitation with such studies is the sampling bias and the variation in size of the samples from different countries. The likely representativeness and precise composition of the samples from the different countries did vary significantly in a number of ways including mean age and involvement in clubbing

This means caution must be used when comparing data between the different countries. But as group they had many things in common. They tended to have higher lifetime prevalence of illicit drug use (over 85%) than the general population and one suspects a greater interest in the topic, but only about 60% had used an illicit drug in the last year, most typically cannabis

So when you consider this, along with the fact that most estimates put the number of psychadelic user in the US at well over 30MM, about 17% of the adult population, I think it is reasonable to conclude that it is not, in fact, bullshit.

It's not a great way of finding out how muchrooms effect the general population. But it is a good way of comparing different drugs an eliminating anomalies. In fact in this case it helps limit it to the dangers directly attributable to magic mushrooms and not tangentially related to their use.(such as problems more directly caused by the users inexperience/recklessness)

If you actually read what those who carry out the survey wrote about it, and not its interpretations from someone else, you'll get a much better idea about what meaningful conclusions one can draw from the data and which ones you can't.

Edited by Holybullshit (03/06/19 03:58 PM)

OnlineAsuraS
Cyantist

Loc: Texas
    #25856894 - 03/06/19 08:33 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

Physically safe, sure.

OfflinePeyote Road
Stranger
Male
Loc: Great Lakes State
    #25857495 - 03/07/19 03:15 AM (1 year, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:
Oh please, first you, and I think knowingly, expand the definition of a drug far past the authors intended use of the word.

And then, perhaps unknowingly, expand the cause of the harm far past the substances found in cubensis mushrooms. In this context we are talking about toxicity and risk of overdose, the study goes one more and counts all emergency situations which result from ingestion of magic mushrooms.  So attacking it based on the idea that eating mushrooms can lead to an existential crisis which then leads to making bad decisions long after its effects have worn off is ridiculous.

I get what you are saying, but it is irrelevant to the topic at hand, and you've placed yourself on such a slippery slope that it would require zero effort to dismantle your argument through reductio ad absurdum.

And All things equal eating mushrooms chronically is absolutely safer than a smoking habit. Not that this exactly the kind of conclusions this particular study would allow you to draw anyways. The study did count for psychosis inducing trips where medical care is needed as well.

If we are talking about toxicity and risk of overdose, then I agree. But my response is so what? I thought we already knew that.

--------------------
The path of the herbalist is to open ourselves to nature in an innocent and pure way. SHe in turn will open her bounty and reward us with many valuable secrets. May the earth bless you. - Michael Tierra

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
    #25857608 - 03/07/19 06:57 AM (1 year, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:
I can't exactly provide ironclad evidence to argue with you at this point, in fact I don't really care enough to try to find any.

But I would not be at all surprised if 10% of active members on this forum had ingested mushrooms in the past year, more importantly that 10% of active drug users on this site willing to take a survey about said drug use had ingested mushrooms in the past year.

And even if the reporting user is expanding the timeframe past the question asked, unless they are hiding an emergency medical situation I'm not sure how much it would effect the conclusions drawn.

The GDS is highly reputable, and probably has more experience collecting this data than any other group on Earth. They draw from users around the world, including a lot of countries where relative use of magic mushrooms(compared to say heroin/cocaine/meth is a lot higher than in the US).

If you've never taken one of the surveys which are similar to the  GDS, they are pretty long and thorough, not something someone can just easily blow through and I don't know why anyone would be interested in lying about their mushroom use specifically.

I don't see why it would be so hard to believe...cubensis mushrooms aren't exactly known for being toxic, causing organ failure, or creating an overdose crisis. Those surveyed by the GDS are generally more experienced drug users than the general population, so I have no doubt believing that people who have bad first time reactions to magic mushrooms are being underrepresented.

The GDS says this about it's own limitations caused by the sampling bias and relying on self-nomination.

Quote:

The self-nominating sample were typically in their in 20s and 30s, well-educated, and about 50% went clubbing at least 4 times a year. The major methodological limitation with such studies is the sampling bias and the variation in size of the samples from different countries. The likely representativeness and precise composition of the samples from the different countries did vary significantly in a number of ways including mean age and involvement in clubbing

This means caution must be used when comparing data between the different countries. But as group they had many things in common. They tended to have higher lifetime prevalence of illicit drug use (over 85%) than the general population and one suspects a greater interest in the topic, but only about 60% had used an illicit drug in the last year, most typically cannabis

So when you consider this, along with the fact that most estimates put the number of psychadelic user in the US at well over 30MM, about 17% of the adult population, I think it is reasonable to conclude that it is not, in fact, bullshit.

It's not a great way of finding out how muchrooms effect the general population. But it is a good way of comparing different drugs an eliminating anomalies. In fact in this case it helps limit it to the dangers directly attributable to magic mushrooms and not tangentially related to their use.(such as problems more directly caused by the users inexperience/recklessness)

If you actually read what those who carry out the survey wrote about it, and not its interpretations from someone else, you'll get a much better idea about what meaningful conclusions one can draw from the data and which ones you can't.

You don't think psychedelic users are heavily inclined to lie about their beloved psychedelics to help push legalization along. That's why these studies get ripped apart by real scientists that work for the government then they tell politicians how poor and biased these studies are.

--------------------
Everything you need in one spot.

My Q&A thread. Ask me questions here rather than in Private Message
Bod's chat thread
Buy Bod a beer:
BTC: 1G7roCpYmNp4VqnKySQeBkaFTc7JMzKLpL
ETH: 0x2091cE981af8129986C50AC0818e1aCA76076768
DOGE: DQNyGtUNHwYUrGECag1VRmMcf6QVeTY4V1

Offlineicetech
 User Gallery

Loc: FSM's loving noodles.
Re: Shrooms Are the Safest Drug You Can Take Magic mushrooms are safer, even, than smoking weed. [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25858236 - 03/07/19 01:21 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

LSD is also much safer than weed... best drug ever:)

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service