Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 473 | 474 | 475 | 476 | 477 | 478 | 479 | 480 | 481 | 482 | 483 | 484 | 485 | 486 | 487 | 488 | 489 | 490 | 491 | 492 | 493 | Next > | Last >
Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: TRUMP 2020 [Re: Metoo]
    #26960441 - 09/29/20 02:30 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Metoo said:
Quote:

Brian Jones said:
I know next to nothing about tax law, but what keeps getting brought up is the way he was both paying his daughter salary and as a high paid consultant, and they believe it was a criminal tax dodge.

I also know very little about the tax laws but there are a few possible explanations which look legit. Her payroll may have been for part time, limited hours work and overflow was handled as consulting. The consulting company may have been in her name but maybe she had people working for her and charged for their time.

But an equally interesting question is what we are going to do if it turns out there is no crime here? Will CNN go into overdrive to look for a new story to smear Trump with? They have been getting away with crying wolf for the last 4 years - is this ever going to end? I do not mean a healthy dose of scrutiny which is very much deserved but rather an obsessive search for the story - a story - to bring him down. How come a day after a barrage of "bombshells" the most relevant Trump tax story on CNN is that he made a shit load of money on The Apprentice? This is not what they trumpeted as news yesterday. What will it be tomorrow?

Is it really going to matter? trump is going to be in history’s dumpster in three months

Imagine if trump has just released his taxes like he promised instead of desperately hiding them for years. Whether a crime was committed or not, he acts like a criminal and a “billionaire” paying $750 in tax is offensive to a majority of tax paying citizens.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

Edited by koods (09/29/20 02:34 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: TRUMP 2020 [Re: Enlil]
    #26960448 - 09/29/20 02:33 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
As an employee, Trump would have to pay payroll taxes.  As a consultant, he wouldn't.

But she has to pay for that tax, I don't see the avoidance. At best, one could say he's making her pay for his tax burden.

OfflineMetoo
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: TRUMP 2020 [Re: qman]
    #26960467 - 09/29/20 02:39 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I was in a similar bind when I first heard the Stormy Daniels story. I thought that very clearly this was an undeclared election expense for which he would go down. Then I heard Scott explain on his Periscope podcast that this is the media narrative but the law is more nuanced. Trump's primary motivation can be explained as protecting his family by paying off the noisy mistress. To hide one's affairs from a Common Law wife is a private deal - many people have done it before without running for President so Trump was free to not declare it as an election expense. I think a year or two later the court case was dropped, likely because it had no merit.

You will see a similar theme with many of the media hoaxes - a flurry of accusations and innuendo, followed by blackout when the story of the day falls flat. If the Ivanka payment is the worst thing the NYT investigation has uncovered they should be very disappointed. If even this story is a hoax they are a joke.

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
    #26960478 - 09/29/20 02:43 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

Enlil said:
As an employee, Trump would have to pay payroll taxes.  As a consultant, he wouldn't.

But she has to pay for that tax, I don't see the avoidance. At best, one could say he's making her pay for his tax burden.

And that's not fraud?

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#26960487 - 09/29/20 02:50 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

Enlil said:

Now there is probable cause for a number of criminal investigations. That’s what trump has been trying to avoid by keeping his taxes hidden.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Re: TRUMP 2020 [Re: koods]
    #26960494 - 09/29/20 02:54 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

was in a similar bind when I first heard the Stormy Daniels story. I thought that very clearly this was an undeclared election expense for which he would go down. T

And he would have gone down if not for his immunity

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineMetoo
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26960503 - 09/29/20 02:57 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Is it really going to matter? trump is going to be in history’s dumpster in three months

Imagine if trump has just released his taxes like he promised instead of desperately hiding them for years. Whether a crime was committed or not, he acts like a criminal and a “billionaire” paying $750 in tax is offensive to a majority of tax paying citizens.

From what I remember Trump said he would not release them because he is under audit. The NYC "bombshell" report confirmed that he is, indeed, under audit. A tax lawyer on CNN wrote that it is not illegal to release one's tax returns while one is under audit but tax lawyers (including herself) routinely recommend this approach to their clients.

As to the perception I agree with you - it made him look like a crook and I personally assumed that he was just delaying it to buy another term of immunity. It was totally against the political norms of this country but that is part of Trump brand. What matters more to me is whether he is a legal fraud and with the NYT report the needle has ticked closer to NO.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#26960517 - 09/29/20 03:03 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Taking his refusal to have his returns released to NY state investigators has nothing to do with looking bad. Those returns would not have seen the light of day unless there was an indictment. He is desperate to keep them hidden because he’s a criminal. There’s no other way to look at it.

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineMetoo
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26960528 - 09/29/20 03:10 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/29/politics/donald-trump-taxes-new-york-times/index.html

For those who do not follow CNN Chris Cilizza is a reliable provider of anti-Trump commentary and relentless in his attacks. Check out his latest linked piece - the *real* story is now that:

"Instead, he is someone who took advantage of that most American of traits: Celebrity (and fame) worship. Trump's buildings -- from Trump Tower on down -- and his golf courses (and his braggadocio about his buildings and his golf courses) are simply vehicles he used for his true money-making proposition: Slapping his name on things. Or more specifically, licensing his name, image and brand to companies who wanted to be adjacent to what he represented to the American public: Unapologetic, over-the-top wealth and excess."

OfflineMetoo
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: TRUMP 2020 [Re: koods] * 1
    #26960554 - 09/29/20 03:24 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Taking his refusal to have his returns released to NY state investigators has nothing to do with looking bad. Those returns would not have seen the light of day unless there was an indictment. He is desperate to keep them hidden because he’s a criminal. There’s no other way to look at it.

Not sure what you are saying here but his refusal to voluntarily release the tax returns did make him look like a crook to me. The other way to look at it is that he has not released them because this is exactly what tax lawyers routinely recommend to their clients when they are under audit.

Offlineqman
Stranger

#26960569 - 09/29/20 03:34 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Quote:

qman said:
Quote:

Enlil said:

And that's not fraud?

If she agrees to the transaction and the tax burden, I don't know if the IRS will call it tax fraud. Time will tell.

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
    #26960572 - 09/29/20 03:35 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Then it's not fraud.  It's just illegal.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineMetoo
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26960646 - 09/29/20 04:17 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

The other thing I picked up from Scott is that a President is absolutely within his/her rights to use the power of the office to increase their re-election chances - as long as the actions they take benefit the country. This may sound like a banana republic setup but consider the alternative i.e. a President who refrains from acting in the best interest of the country because doing so would improve his ballot situation. So Obama was perfectly allowed to push through Obamacare in 2010 even though this benefitted his re-election chances. Trump was completely above board when he sponsored the First Step Act even though some people will vote for him because he did.

Which brings us to the Ukrainian  saga. In my view investigating Hunter's dealing was absolutely in the best interest of the US and, if anything, the recently revealed payments from the Russians and Chinese further support this conclusion. Not saying he is crook but only that pushing for an investigation was justified. I did not see it in those terms until it was pointed out to me so not the brightest bulb I guess

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
    #26960657 - 09/29/20 04:22 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

It depends on what you mean by "the best interest of the country".  Our military industrial complex would argue it's in our country's best interest to blame everything on Russia to help ensure we keep our defense as big and strong as possible.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26960682 - 09/29/20 04:42 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Metoo said:
a President is absolutely within his/her rights to use the power of the office to increase their re-election chances - as long as the actions they take benefit the country.

So, if a president sincerely believes that their re-election is in the best interest of their country, would they be correct in having political opponents executed to increase their chances of re-election?

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#26960688 - 09/29/20 04:47 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Metoo said:
Quote:

koods said:

Not sure what you are saying here but his refusal to voluntarily release the tax returns did make him look like a crook to me. The other way to look at it is that he has not released them because this is exactly what tax lawyers routinely recommend to their clients when they are under audit.

It wasn’t voluntary. He went to the Supreme Court to squash a subpoena

--------------------
NotSheekle said

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

#26960690 - 09/29/20 04:47 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Metoo said:
The other thing I picked up from Scott is that a President is absolutely within his/her rights to use the power of the office to increase their re-election chances - as long as the actions they take benefit the country. This may sound like a banana republic setup but consider the alternative i.e. a President who refrains from acting in the best interest of the country because doing so would improve his ballot situation. So Obama was perfectly allowed to push through Obamacare in 2010 even though this benefitted his re-election chances. Trump was completely above board when he sponsored the First Step Act even though some people will vote for him because he did.

Which brings us to the Ukrainian  saga. In my view investigating Hunter's dealing was absolutely in the best interest of the US and, if anything, the recently revealed payments from the Russians and Chinese further support this conclusion. Not saying he is crook but only that pushing for an investigation was justified. I did not see it in those terms until it was pointed out to me so not the brightest bulb I guess

Scott who?

--------------------
NotSheekle said

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26960694 - 09/29/20 04:49 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

The dilbert guy. He's a MAGA hat now, and spends his time alternatively praising Trump and reading dilbert comics out loud on youtube.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
    #26960699 - 09/29/20 04:53 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

OfflineMetoo
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: TRUMP 2020 [Re: Kryptos]
    #26960708 - 09/29/20 05:03 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Kryptos said:
Quote:

Metoo said:
a President is absolutely within his/her rights to use the power of the office to increase their re-election chances - as long as the actions they take benefit the country.

So, if a president sincerely believes that their re-election is in the best interest of their country, would they be correct in having political opponents executed to increase their chances of re-election?

I think there are laws in the US preventing the execution of the political opponents so the answer is no

Edited by Metoo (09/29/20 05:40 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 473 | 474 | 475 | 476 | 477 | 478 | 479 | 480 | 481 | 482 | 483 | 484 | 485 | 486 | 487 | 488 | 489 | 490 | 491 | 492 | 493 | Next > | Last >

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder