Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Laminar Flow Hood, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineimme420
Junkie

cofee filters
    #2584591 - 04/20/04 10:37 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

So i started my BRF jars yesterday and im already seeing some growth! woo hoo! so heres my question, Ive noticed alot of people puting coffee filters on the tops of their jars. First im wondering why they do this? another thing im not quite sure if im right but it seems that they still have the lids of the jars on them, now if the coffee filter is suposed to keep out bacteria (what i think it supposed to do) would it not be wise to take the lids off to maximize air excange?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBruce3
Stranger

Loc: some where over the rainb...
Re: cofee filters [Re: imme420]
    #2584614 - 04/20/04 10:42 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

dont worry about air exchange just yet you should wait until your jars are at least 70% done sooner you would be risking contamination.

Offlineimme420
Junkie

#2584634 - 04/20/04 10:46 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Im not worried about it. its just its been on my mind cuz i cant see why people do it, and why they dont have JUST the filter as a lid. or maybe they do? ive tried searching and still havent found any answers.

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

#2584641 - 04/20/04 10:48 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I think the answer to your question is that coffee filters are not 100% effective. I know people who use 5 filters and a small 1/4 in. hole in the top of the lid. That is all the air you need. The CO2 content is suppose to be higher during the colonization stage than in the fruiting stage. That's when you need a whole lot of air exchange. Plus if you take off the lid and just use the filter, your jar may dry out quick if the humidity in your incubator is low.

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2584672 - 04/20/04 10:58 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Wow! Growth in just one day! That is excellent ,just make sure that what you are seeing isnt a contam like cobwb mold. Here is the scoop on coffee filters on your BRF jars.

The filters are there,just as you figured,to keep out unwanted bad guys from invading your little mushy colony. It is generally a bad idea to remove the lid any time during the colonization period. You will most certainly ger contamination unless it is in front of a flow hood. To this I must add that it is also not the slightest bit necessary. Air exchange is an important part of myc colonizing the jar,but too much of it can dry out your substrate and stop growth completely. So anyway here is my advice to you on what you should do... I would leave the tin foil over the jar until you are somewhere around 50% colonized and then remove it and place a couple of coffee filters over each jar and secure it with a rubber band.(remove any tape,if any that you have over the inocculation points before adding filters.) Although,in my opinion,the dry verm layer is quite sufficient by itself I guess one cant go wrong being cautious. A friend of mine always puts a cut out coffee filter over the dry verm layer before he puts the lid on and putts them into the pc. This seems to work well for him and he has never had a contam problem.

Beyond that I suggest that you regularly tip the jars to release the co2 which is heavier than air and you will get a faster colonization rate.

Well Good Luck
MYKEY

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Laminar Flow Hood, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation