Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Senator says US may need draft to boost Iraq force
    #2584196 - 04/20/04 07:04 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I know its been said earlier, but it was said again today.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20040420/pl_afp/us_iraq_military_draft_040420163408
Quote:

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A senior Republican lawmaker said that deteriorating security in Iraq (news - web sites) may force the United States to reintroduce the military draft.

"There's not an American ... that doesn't understand what we are engaged in today and what the prospects are for the future," Senator Chuck Hagel told a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing on post-occupation Iraq.

"Why shouldn't we ask all of our citizens to bear some responsibility and pay some price?" Hagel said, arguing that restoring compulsory military service would force "our citizens to understand the intensity and depth of challenges we face."

The Nebraska Republican added that a draft, which was ended in the early 1970s, would spread the burden of military service in Iraq more equitably among various social strata.

"Those who are serving today and dying today are the middle class and lower middle class," he observed.

The call to consider a imposing a draft comes just days after the Pentagon (news - web sites) moved to extend the missions of some 20,000 of the 135,000 US troops in Iraq.

Some critics of the US-led occupation complain that military planners used too few troops to subdue Iraq, and insist that more military muscle will be needed to restore order.

The US-led military coalition was put under further strain by the announcement this week by coalition members Spain and Honduras that they would withdraw their military contingents from Iraq.

Meanwhile, witnesses at the hearing, including academics and former US officials, expressed concern about ongoing flareups of violence in Iraq this month -- the bloodiest yet for US troops.

"I think it's clear that pressures in Iraq have reached the boiling point," said Samuel Berger, national security adviser during the Bill Clinton (news - web sites) administration, who called for an increase in troops there, and a "genuine, non-grudging effort to internationalize the enterprise in Iraq, both military and civilian."

"We've got to be prepared to give up our hammerlock on decision making in exchange for genuine burden sharing."

Richard Perle, a former White House adviser who currently serves as a fellow at a conservative think tank, advised against adding troops or extending the date of handover of Iraqi sovereignty beyond the currently-set June 30 date.

"It is essential that we not delay the handover of sovereignty set for the end of June, even if there is continuing violence by those who know they have no place in a decent, democratic Iraq," he said.

Perle also warned against entrusting the United Nations (news - web sites) with the post-occupation administration of Iraq, saying UN involvement should be kept at "an absolute minimum."

"A large UN contingent in Iraq ... would do more harm than good," Perle said.

"It would discourage the assumption of sovereignty by Iraqis themselves. It would drain resources urgently needed for the development of Iraq's economy," Perle said.

A senior Democrat meanwhile, lashed out at the White House for failing to send a top administration official to appear before the panel.

"I think it is outrageous that the administration has not provided every witness we've asked for," said Senator Joseph Biden, the highest-ranking Democrat on the committee.

"The fact that they are not prepared to send a witness means that they are either totally incompetent and they don't have anything to tell us ... or they're refusing to allow us to fulfill our constitutional responsibility" of congressional oversight, Biden said.

The committee's Republican chairman, Richard Lugar, also slammed the White House for "inadequate planning and communication related to Iraq."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Senator says US may need draft to boost Iraq force [Re: daussaulit]
    #2584227 - 04/20/04 07:12 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I'd love to see a draft.

it would surely mean the end of the current regime.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Senator says US may need draft to boost Iraq force [Re: afoaf]
    #2584381 - 04/20/04 07:53 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

afoaf said:
I'd love to see a draft.

it would surely mean the end of the current regime.

And the lives of Americans that don't want to be in the military. Fuck that shit.

No one should be in favor of the draft unless they are willing to send their own children out to Iraq to die for nothing.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

InvisibleTrueBrode
Stranger

Re: Senator says US may need draft to boost Iraq force [Re: Learyfan]
    #2584406 - 04/20/04 07:59 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

their own children out to Iraq to die for nothing.

Disposing of the Anti-Christ isn't exactly nothing.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: Senator says US may need draft to boost Iraq force [Re: afoaf]
    #2584412 - 04/20/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

A draft is never necessary when the people truly support a war; otherwise they must become involuntary killing machines. How that jives with any sort of "freedom" is beyond me.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Senator says US may need draft to boost Iraq force [Re: Learyfan]
    #2587168 - 04/21/04 01:59 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

the point is if they even tried to instantiate it, it
would get squashed and the bush posse run out
of office quicker than you can say 'bush lied'.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Anonymous

#2587222 - 04/21/04 02:18 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

less than 10% of our armed forces are in iraq and about 2/3 are still in the united states. i highly doubt that there will be conscription in the near future.

http://www.dior.whs.mil/mmid/M05/hst0309.pdf

InvisibleTrueBrode
Stranger

Re: Senator says US may need draft to boost Iraq force [Re: ]
    #2587407 - 04/21/04 03:23 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

No, you forgot about congressmen like Charlie Rengel. There's still a chance with people like him about.

Anonymous

Re: Senator says US may need draft to boost Iraq force [Re: TrueBrode]
    #2587966 - 04/21/04 06:45 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

there are always going to be people who believe that mandatory military service service simply for the sake of mandatory military service is a good idea, even in times of peace and when our volunteer armed forces are entirely sufficient. fortunately i don't think the idea is too politically popular, and it would probably take a major conflict and shortage of troops to get people to support the draft.

personally, i will never allow myself to be conscripted. if an urgent need to defend this country cannot be met without more troops, i will volunteer to fight, but i will not be drafted to fight in some undeclared war in a foreign land.

"Amendment XIII

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation."

no one has ever successfully challenged conscription on the grounds of the 13th amendment, but why not?

Anonymous

#2588755 - 04/21/04 09:26 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I really doubt the draft will happen. But I'm not too worried if it does. I am now allowed in the military because I'm schizo.  :nut:

Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
    #2588914 - 04/21/04 09:49 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

If the draft happens, it shouln't be because of some hyped threat. The theory that taking men that don't want to fight and putting them in front of an enemy that it shooting at them, thus causing them to fight, is against all that I believe America to be for. I think that if a foreign invader truely was sweeping up through America a la Red Dawn, every man, woman and child would do what they could to protect 'our homeland'. Drafting is not a good idea. Geez, the other day the military, or a contractor thereof, did the first live flight and bomb release of an UAV that was not "flown" real time. The coordinates (GPS, WAAS, leading to altitude, bearing, speed, and latitude / longitude calculation) were programmed into the UAV and it took off, flew the proper pattern, dropped the ordanance correctly and accurately, flew back and landed. Why do we need more people?

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #2589110 - 04/21/04 10:26 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
no one has ever successfully challenged conscription on the grounds of the 13th amendment, but why not?

Most likely because people who get drafted also get paid. Not that that makes it right. I would most certainly not allow myself to be drafted. If anyone even tried to draft me I would head straight to Canada.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order