Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Petri Dish, Potato Dextrose, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHelloeoj
Mom Dissapointer
I'm a teapot

Loc: Usa
I need Agar help! (I used the search option, no luck)
    #25837404 - 02/25/19 08:20 PM (2 years, 5 days ago)

Hey there everyone, I have a rather annoying Agar problem that Im struggling to fix. I followed Pastey's Agar tek down to the T, and made 23 Agar MiniRounds.

It's day 4 now, ALL 23 "Plates" of Agar are showing no signs of any sort of growth. No contams, no nothing.

I inoculated using a Blue Meanie Spore Syringe, sterilized with a torch between every innoc, and have my sterilized room set to roughly 70*F.

Yes I made sure my needle was cool before innoculating, and yes I did push waer through it to clear out and burned spores and contams first.

I put exactly 1 drop of spores on each plate, and did a zig zag pattern with my sterilized (and cooled) inoculation loop.

My agar isn't too soft or too hard from what I can tell, and i've made multiple batches, each more soft than the last.

Ive been using the search option for 2 entire days now, literally all day, and the best i could find was "Use Brown Rice Agar instead of normal Agar Agar".

Im thinking the brown rice agar substitute may work better for MS Syringes, but I honestly have no clue. all of my knowledge is based off of other people notes, jumbled together to the best of my comprehension. any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated

I've put a lot of work into building a lab in my house, and this agar problem is starting to worry me.

I still have several syringes with other strains, and a back up blue meanie syringe just incase something like this were to happen, but i need to see some resolve before i can go busting them out.

If anyone could help me out, i would appreciate it greatly.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTstone
St.of Circumstance
 User Gallery

Loc: This Planet
Re: I need Agar help! (I used the search option, no luck) [Re: Helloeoj]
    #25837428 - 02/25/19 08:27 PM (2 years, 5 days ago)

4 days is nothing, I find spores on agar take a bit longer to germ. My average time is 8-10 days. When I was getting started, I inoculated rye, 5-7 days to germ. Be patient, 23 plates? Something will show. Temps good?

--------------------
Wake now, discover that you are the song that morning brings, but the heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own"

Offlinenewtomyc
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: here there and everywhere
    #25837442 - 02/25/19 08:31 PM (2 years, 5 days ago)

It can take a while for growth to show. I used PDA premix on my first plates. I think my PE6 took like 10 days before I saw something. As long as you don't have contaiments, just give it a few more days. I'm sure you did fine.

I'm not an expert, so someone else hopefully chime in and reassure you.

Wish you the best!

--------------------
JJ

Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you.... WSP

OfflineHelloeoj
Mom Dissapointer
I'm a teapot

Re: I need Agar help! (I used the search option, no luck) [Re: newtomyc]
    #25837866 - 02/25/19 11:12 PM (2 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Tstone said:
Be patient, 23 plates? Something will show. Temps good?

I'm thinking about adding a light into my area to produce a little more heat, withut driving up my electric bill. I'll aim for 75*F for now and see if anything improves.

Would light have any factor in my Mycelium growth?

InvisibleFeasoghorm

#25838001 - 02/26/19 12:23 AM (2 years, 5 days ago)

It's generally accepted now adays that a 6500k light on a 12/12 is beneficial for all stages of growth. I wudnt go ham with the intensity though.

OfflineHelloeoj
Mom Dissapointer
I'm a teapot

Re: I need Agar help! (I used the search option, no luck) [Re: Feasoghorm]
    #25838496 - 02/26/19 09:58 AM (2 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

Timboslice said:
It's generally accepted now adays that a 6500k light on a 12/12 is beneficial for all stages of growth. I wudnt go ham with the intensity though.

I was thinking more aong the lines of a UVB reptile light on an adjustable intensity switch. I'm aiming to just increase the heat with it by about 5 degrees, though I may just use my flourecent light bars now, if its beneficial for growth.

Also, I looked last night, and one of the 23 plates had A SPEC of Mycelium around one of the spores. A secondary problem I could possibly be having ( again, I have no clue, I'm just a first time grower) I think my Agar seperated from my Potato flakes when settling, causing the nutrient to be stuck under a casing of Agar. But at the same time, i'd figure nutrients could make their way through the agar regardless, but its worth a mention.

OfflineHelloeoj
Mom Dissapointer
I'm a teapot

#25838711 - 02/26/19 11:48 AM (2 years, 4 days ago)

I've added a 2700K Lamp until I can get the correct fluorescents in. Its raised the temperature ever so mildly, but I'd say its a good 73 in there now

Will be buying reptile Thermometers and hydrometers today to get a better measurement over this wall thermometer

InvisibleFeasoghorm

#25838747 - 02/26/19 12:05 PM (2 years, 4 days ago)

Oh you mean the sediment at the bottom of your plate? I believe that's common and not a concern.

I dnt knw about the specifics of using other light, and i dnt mess with heating other than keeping my house at 70F which keeps most everything in it EVENLY heated at 65F or above.

Everytime i try to mess with another heat source specifically for the myc i run into an uneven heat gradient across each jar.

However, it sounds like your dialing in your shiz nicely. 73F is tits.

OfflineHelloeoj
Mom Dissapointer
I'm a teapot

#25838778 - 02/26/19 12:25 PM (2 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

Timboslice said:

i dnt mess with heating other than keeping my house at 70F which keeps most everything in it EVENLY heated at 65F or above.

See, I would have gone with this option, but my situation is a little weird. My house IS set to 75, but my closet turned sterile lab is technically under the staircase, in the hallway. Not my hallway. I'm in a converted house turned apartment, and we can ony heat our house, not the hallway, so it runs slightly colder, and I have a feeling at night the temperature drops, but I'm not exactly awake to check. And when I'm in the closet, the temperature rises from my body heat (yes, its that small)

So Im figuring, I'll have the light on starting at 9 or 10 at night, on a 12 hour cycle. thus keeping it warm at night.

As for the uneven heat distribution, I think my growing space is too small for it to matter. My SAB takes up 60% of my lab, lol.

And again, thank you very much for all the help! I listen to every piece of advice everyone has to offer, regardless if I'm going to personally use it or not (though I will be personally using the advice given to me on this post)

OfflineHelloeoj
Mom Dissapointer
I'm a teapot

#25838803 - 02/26/19 12:42 PM (2 years, 4 days ago)

I'm seeing slight growth on 7 plates now, and 2 other plates with questionable growth (im not sure if it is growth, or a bump of uneven agar from inoculation)

InvisibleFeasoghorm

#25839008 - 02/26/19 02:40 PM (2 years, 4 days ago)

Nyyiiccceee!

:jennajameson:

OfflineHelloeoj
Mom Dissapointer
I'm a teapot

#25841059 - 02/27/19 12:50 PM (2 years, 3 days ago)

Update*

I now have 11 containers with growth, I feel like the light was a very good choice, even though its not the recommended kind. the 2700K seems to be doing some good

I need to wait another day or so, but im starting to think a few of my plates have some cobweb mold on it, unless its just very fluffy Mycelium. which, its probably mold.

Ill keep posting updates so I can share my progress with anyone else who is having the same concerns as myself.

OfflineHelloeoj
Mom Dissapointer
I'm a teapot

#25844515 - 02/28/19 09:34 PM (2 years, 2 days ago)

I've added a 6000k light, it was the best i could find locally :/ but i was able to grab some pictures! Ive updated them into the post!

*Update*

Cant add pictures to my post?

https://imgur.com/a/kiPVE2k

Edited by Helloeoj (02/28/19 09:40 PM)

OfflineFireneeb
Stranger
    #25847398 - 03/02/19 12:02 PM (2 years, 15 hours ago)

I had problems with MS to pasty plates aswell. Switched to pour agar method with petri and spore prints and haven’t looked back

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Petri Dish, Potato Dextrose, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started