Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineencryptor
 User Gallery
is peyote hard to grow
    #2570980 - 04/17/04 12:23 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

is peyote hard to grow. my friend had some seeds and i think he's trying to grow them. is it hard to access these seeds or graphings. tell me more. i want to talk to the cultivators.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: is peyote hard to grow [Re: encryptor]
    #2571100 - 04/17/04 01:02 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

It takes a long time.

Grow peyote to preserve this very endangered species, not to get the mescaline from it.

If you want to grow a cactus that contains mescaline, look into san pedro.

Just what I've got to say :grin:

--------------------

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
Re: is peyote hard to grow [Re: Krishna]
    #2571673 - 04/17/04 05:25 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I understand that it may just be your personal beliefs, but please explain why you cannot both grow peyote to preserve the species and grow peyote as a mescaline source.

It'd be easy to grow far more peyote than one could manage, once you get grafting skills down pat.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: is peyote hard to grow [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2571699 - 04/17/04 05:33 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

It takes six to 8 years for a peyote cacti to mature

Yet a San Pedro planted in Southern California can attain a one ton weight within twenty years if no one makes cuttings of it.
mj

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Re: is peyote hard to grow [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2571723 - 04/17/04 05:42 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I'm talking about grafting peyote onto t.pachanoi, t.peruvianus, or some other fast growing cactus in order to speed up growth. It wouldn't take long to grow many many peyote buttons in this way. This totally negates the issue of it being a slow growing endangered species because 1) You are not relying on any unethically harvested specimens, and 2) You are increasing the rate of growth so as to make it's use more economical and practical.

The only reason I can think of why you would choose not to use your home grown grafted peyote is for spiritual/religious reasons. I don't share any of those reasons so therefore I don't have to worry. I believe that the gift of peyote is given freely and I will accept it as such.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #2573350 - 04/18/04 08:14 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

San pedro is used in grafting other cacti which would nor survive outside of their natural habitats.

Peyote can survive and grow outside of its habitat in flower pots. Thus there is no reason to graft it on top of a san pedro unless it is for visual gratification that one did it.

Here is such an image from my house years ago.

And yes you can graft peyote onto san pedro but the peyote still takes as long to mature.

It is the San Pedro which will grow at its normal rate.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (04/18/04 08:19 AM)

OfflineNewdude1
Stranger
    #2573396 - 04/18/04 08:39 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

What about grafting them onto Pereskiopsis, then to san p, then on its own?

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
Re: is peyote hard to grow [Re: encryptor]
    #2573445 - 04/18/04 09:25 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

First, in the intrest of answering his question, peyote takes care of itself just fine. Easy to grow if you can just manage not to pamper it to death. Second, I agree with Krishna. Not only because I think its sacred, but with creative grafting, you'll have plenty eventually, its just stupid to eat all your buttons for a single trip. I would look into growing pedro from seed as well.

Good Luck Man

InvisibleVoodoo
Stranger

#2573644 - 04/18/04 11:07 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mjshroomer said:
Thus there is no reason to graft it on top of a san pedro unless it is for visual gratification that one did it.

Not exactly MJ. Grafting peyote increases the rate of growth. With plenty of water and good conditions, grafting will also force pupping. So, if you just wanted a LOT of peyote in a relatively short period of time, grafting would be the way to go. :wink:

--------------------
http://www.nramembership.org/

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: is peyote hard to grow [Re: Voodoo]
    #2573658 - 04/18/04 11:12 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mjshroomer said:
Thus there is no reason to graft it on top of a san pedro unless it is for visual gratification that one did it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not exactly MJ. Grafting peyote increases the rate of growth. With plenty of water and good conditions, grafting will also force pupping. So, if you just wanted a LOT of peyote in a relatively short period of time, grafting would be the way to go.

When i read that i assumed "visual gratification" included faster growth as in a visually "older"/larger looking specimen.

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Loc: 613 Flag
    #2578697 - 04/19/04 04:20 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mjshroomer said:
And yes you can graft peyote onto san pedro but the peyote still takes as long to mature.

It is the San Pedro which will grow at its normal rate.

MJ, check out this thread for some extreme examples of accelerated peyote growth due to grafting. Una gets some peyotes to grow to sizes that would nomally take many years in a matter of a few months from seed. The effect isn't as pronounced with San pedro, but it's still much faster than growing the peyote on its own roots.

OfflineNewdude1
Stranger
Re: is peyote hard to grow [Re: psi]
    #2579236 - 04/19/04 06:46 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I heard growing them that fast just produces big sacks of bloated mush, prone to diceice and rott, with diluted active content, and taste way worse.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#2579545 - 04/19/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Again, size doesn't reflect maturity.

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Re: is peyote hard to grow [Re: neuro]
    #2580096 - 04/19/04 09:28 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

neuro said:
Again, size doesn't reflect maturity.

I can accept that size is not the sole determinant of maturity, but it's not as if the two are unrelated. Also MJ referred specifically to rates of growth: "It is the San Pedro which will grow at its normal rate." This would seem to imply that the rate of growth of the scion is unaffected, which clearly isn't the case. I may well be misinterpeting the statement though.

How are you defining maturity? Size affects ability to flower, which many would consider to be an indicator of a plant's physical maturity. If you're talking about alkaloid content, while grafted plants haven't had time to build up alkaloids and thus have lower percentages by weight of alkaloids, they're still producing alkaloids at a greater rate than smaller, non-grafted plants of the same age. (If they're not, why not?) The three-month old grafted peyote on the other thread appeared to be tens or hundreds of times greater in volume than non-grafted plants of the same age, which would suggest to me that it has a greater capacity for alkaloid production.

Grafted plants are not initially going to have the same levels of alkaloids as a plant of the same size that was grown on its own roots for its whole life, but why wouldn't the alkaloid levels of a grafted plant eventually catch up to those of a much older plant of the same size if it was allowed to grow on its own roots?

As far as the original question goes, I'd say that peyote is easy to grow unless you kill it by over-watering, over-fertilizing, or sunburn. In my experience most problems can be solved by just not watering the plant for a while.

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#2580231 - 04/19/04 09:55 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I can accept that size is not the sole determinant of maturity, but it's not as if the two are unrelated. Also MJ referred specifically to rates of growth: "It is the San Pedro which will grow at its normal rate." This would seem to imply that the rate of growth of the scion is unaffected, which clearly isn't the case. I may well be misinterpeting the statement though.

I interpretted it as both growing, i didn't see it the way you proposed.

Quote:

How are you defining maturity? Size affects ability to flower, which many would consider to be an indicator of a plant's physical maturity. If you're talking about alkaloid content, while grafted plants haven't had time to build up alkaloids and thus have lower percentages by weight of alkaloids, they're still producing alkaloids at a greater rate than smaller, non-grafted plants of the same age. (If they're not, why not?) The three-month old grafted peyote on the other thread appeared to be tens or hundreds of times greater in volume than non-grafted plants of the same age, which would suggest to me that it has a greater capacity for alkaloid production.

Maturity as in age. It seems to be genreally accepted that grafted peyotes are not equal in regard to alkaloid content of a similar size ungrafted peyote. I've seen a few proposed mechanism of this action but nothing concrete. If this is true then mescaline is the product of a slower secondary metabolism going on in the cactus.

As for the rest of your statements i've though about them from time to time in the past too and haven't come up with any solid answers nor had the will to carry out the experiment. Or resources for quantifying content.

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Re: is peyote hard to grow [Re: neuro]
    #2580525 - 04/19/04 10:58 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

My point was just that although a grafted plant may have less alkaloids than a non-grafted plant of the same size, it probably has more alkaloids than a non-grafted plant of the same age, meaning that it's more mature alkaloid-wise and size-wise than it would otherwise have been without grafting.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2581270 - 04/20/04 01:34 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Well, eventually, after it was left to grow on its own again, wouldn't it start to build up the alkaloids, and wouldn't it gain them faster since it was at a bigger size?

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Re: is peyote hard to grow [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2582616 - 04/20/04 12:07 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Well, eventually, after it was left to grow on its own again, wouldn't it start to build up the alkaloids, and wouldn't it gain them faster since it was at a bigger size?

Right. This is something that I have beeen thinking about since the beginning. Two or three seed grown peyotes could be grafted onto a faster growing root stock in order to speed up growth considerably. Then, after a couple of years, buttons could be cut to graft again and the now much larger peyote could be made to grow it's own roots once again. You could easily produce a large farm of peyote this way and I believe that in a short time could have many very potent specimens.

--------------------

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

#2582877 - 04/20/04 12:57 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I just checked at Nansnook to see what their answer would be. It seems that they have explained the issue of potency of grafted peyote a long while ago. While initial growing grafts of lophophora williamsii might have lower than usual mescaline content due to the rapidity of growth(compared to a peyote of similar size which has grown on it's own roots), once it reaches it's maximum size and starts to produce pups instead of growing larger, the grafted peyote will increase in potency.

Besides all of that long sentence I just authored, it is noted that due to peyote genetics, a grafted peyote will still produce more alkaloids pound for pound than any other mescaline producing cactus.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies