Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinesycodelix
Honorable Golden Shellback
Male

Loc: Spokane, Washington
Can Weed Cause Paranoia?
    #25823810 - 02/19/19 09:51 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Uhhh... no shit!
https://hightimes.com/health/can-weed-cause-paranoia/

Can Weed Cause Paranoia?
Here’s everything you need to know.

Published 16 hours ago on February 19, 2019 By Nick Lindsey
Can Weed Cause Paranoia? Tero Vesalainen/ Shutterstock
SHARE TWEET
One of the interesting and sometimes strange things about marijuana is that in some cases it helps people feel less stressed, anxious, and worried, and in other cases it seems to make people feel ultra stressed out to the point of extreme paranoia.

It’s actually pretty common to experience both ends of this spectrum. And as anyone who’s experienced the paranoid side of things knows, weed paranoia can be very intense.

So what’s the deal with weed and paranoia? What causes weed paranoia? And what can you do to deal with paranoia from weed? Here’s everything you need to know.

Effects of Weed on Paranoia
As with most things related to cannabis, research into weed and paranoia is fairly limited. Research exists, but because of prohibition laws, it’s not as thoroughly researched as it should be.

But from what we do know, it appears that marijuana can certainly be a contributing factor to feelings of paranoia.

In 2014, a group of scientists at Oxford studied paranoia from weed. In the experiment, they gave 121 adults between the ages of 21 and 50 an injection of either real THC or a placebo. The THC dose was the same as an average joint.

After all participants were injected, they answered a series of questions about their experiences and feelings. At the conclusion of the study, researchers found that 50% of those with THC reported feelings of paranoia. Meanwhile, only 30% of those with the placebo had feelings of paranoia.

Interestingly, researchers did not conclude that cannabis causes paranoia outright. Instead, they said that weed probably produces a range of other experiences that could add to a heightened sense of paranoia.

For example, they said that when people are high and they experience sensory changes, those changes can make some people feel nervous, uneasy, and in some cases, paranoid.

So weed paranoia does seem to exist—kind of. But only in the sense that the experience of an altered state of mind tends to freak some people out.

Does Weed Make Paranoia Worse?
In many ways, it’s more accurate to describe the relationship between weed and paranoia as one in which weed exacerbates what’s already there.

To be more clear, if you’re already prone to feelings of anxiety and paranoia, you may be more likely to feel even more paranoid when you’re high.

And, as evidenced in the above study, the same is true of how much a person enjoys the experience of being high. If a temporarily altered state of mind is enjoyable to you, then you probably won’t feel paranoid.

But if that altered state of mind makes you feel weird or scared, you might feel paranoia from weed. Simply put, the connection between weed and paranoia differs based on a number of variables. These include:

personality
genetic predisposition
your body’s endocannabinoid system
potency of weed
how much THC you consume
the full spectrum of cannabinoids you consume
whether or not you enjoy the sensation of being high
how often you get high
THC tolerance levels
How to Deal with Paranoia When You’re High
Since there are so many factors that impact whether or not you feel weed paranoia, it’s likely that you could experience it at some point or another.

Even if you usually don’t feel paranoia from weed, we’ve all found ourselves in those situations where you just get way too high. When that happens, you might start feeling paranoid.

Since weed and paranoia can hit anyone, you should know how to deal with it. Here are some good ways to deal with paranoia from weed:

Force yourself to relax. Breath deep. Sit down and take it easy. And remind yourself that is literally impossible to overdose and die from cannabis.
Drink some soothing lemon tea. Squeeze lemon into hot water. Maybe add some fresh ginger root and honey. Drink it slowly and try to calm yourself down.
Pepper contains terpenes that tend to have soothing effects. Try crushing a few peppercorns and gently smelling it.
Take a warm shower and focus on calming yourself down.
Take a nap and sleep it off.
Of course, another approach is trying to avoid getting to the point where you’re experiencing weed paranoia. Here are some tips to avoid getting paranoid:

Take smaller doses of THC.
If you can, try smoking or vaping. It’s easier to dose than edibles or oils.
Consume strains with more CBD, since CBD counteracts the psychoactive effects of THC. If you’re prone to paranoia, CBD could hep smooth out your experience.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesycodelix
Honorable Golden Shellback
Male

Loc: Spokane, Washington
Re: Can Weed Cause Paranoia? [Re: sycodelix]
    #25823817 - 02/19/19 09:56 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

They mention injection of thc, same amount as a joint...

How does the affect result injected directly in blood stream?

If like edibles that amount could blast off way stronger than a joint...

It can take me 5-10 minutes to smoke a jay by myself,  i doubt that injection was timed to administer it over time,  i bet they plunged it and bam! Full strength all at once... yeap! That might make me a bit paranoid for sure, especially with squares in lab coats judging me!

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Can Weed Cause Paranoia? [Re: sycodelix]
    #25824038 - 02/20/19 04:02 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Set and setting.  Social injustice is a huge part.  Family got ya down, weed could out up a wall.  People also project a lot of terror onto others.  Claiming their paranoia is yours.

Also lol at pure thc injections.  What a dumb idea.

--------------------
"in sterquiliniis invenitur in stercore invenitur"

In filth it will be found in dung it will be found

Invisibletrvptamine
P-Mx$$
Male

Re: Can Weed Cause Paranoia? [Re: Morel Guy]
    #25824410 - 02/20/19 09:16 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

If injecting pure THC is anything like injecting other pure drugs then its completely understandable that people would get paranoid from it. Ive always joked with friends about what it might be like to inject THC. They always say it would be awesome, but Ive always thought it would be horrible and paranoid. Maybe thats because im just normally prone to getting paranoid from strong doses of THC.

--------------------

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Can Weed Cause Paranoia? [Re: trvptamine]
    #25824419 - 02/20/19 09:18 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

There is a tolerance factor that makes it easier to enjoy that.  I still liked to smoke with a brownie.  But I know when I've had too much or 'enough'.

Too much is real easy and what a lot of people prefer.  There is a timing all the same, with the come down.  So you can blaze on a country road and be fairly ready for busy roads once in town.

It's not like booze...where once you hit that spot...your fucked for a long time.

--------------------

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25824463 - 02/20/19 09:39 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

It's respect (paranoia).  We learn that hard ways.

--------------------

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
    #25824699 - 02/20/19 11:30 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I've actually smoked some pure THC crystals and was surprised how smooth/mellow it was, though I never took huge dabs of it since they are super expensive.

THC diamonds they are called:

Thought it was meth or something the first time I saw it :lol:

Though if I were to take a joints worth of THC in one massive dab let alone injection it would probably make me really paranoid :uhoh:

I liked mixing the THC crystals with terpenes + cbd crystals, as the pure THC tastes kind of funky. Definitely helped balance the effects out even more, though the THC alone was still surprisingly pleasant.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

InvisibleEminence
Male

Loc: Richmond, VA Flag
Re: Can Weed Cause Paranoia? [Re: musiclover420]
    #25824773 - 02/20/19 11:56 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Ew, something about THC crystals just seems gross and wrong to me.

--------------------

Offlinemusiclover420
psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Can Weed Cause Paranoia? [Re: Eminence]
    #25824821 - 02/20/19 12:12 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Eminence said:
Ew, something about THC crystals just seems gross and wrong to me.

They are definitely made using some harsh chemicals to get such high purity.

Though you can also get some similar products by processing already very pure rosin or so I've heard.

It's still sort of a novelty with the high price, I'd never pay for them but got to try some for free and enjoyed it. Hopefully over time the price drops similiar to CBD, I'd totally buy some THC for 20$/g or less in bulk.

The part that excites me is eventually more and more cannabinoids will be available in their pure forms and the price will drop. So before long you'll be able to experiment with custom mixtures of cannabinoids/terpenes at a reasonable price, you already can really but it's harder to find sources for stuff like CBN and all those other variations, they are out there already though. Found one site that has a few but they only do bulk sales.

--------------------
Don't worry about me, I've got all that I need. And I'm singing my song to the sky

You know how it feels, With the breeze of the sun in your eyes. Not minding that time's passing by

I've got all and more, My smile, just as before. Is all that I carry with me

I talk to myself, I need nobody else. I'm lost and I'm mine, yes I'm free

Invisibleellomello
XP
 User Gallery

Loc: babilonUSA
Re: Can Weed Cause Paranoia? [Re: musiclover420] * 1
    #25825033 - 02/20/19 01:27 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

i think it's more the threat
of your whole life being destroyed,
and being locked up with violent killers and rapist,
1,000s in fines, years of probation, etc. for having some cannabis. is what causes the paranoia.

--------------------
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN get back to the garden

some came singing, some come to play, some come for keeping the dark away

Invisibletrvptamine
P-Mx$$
Male

Re: Can Weed Cause Paranoia? [Re: musiclover420]
    #25825074 - 02/20/19 01:43 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

BTW Im sure you all know this, but pure THC cant be a crystal at room temperature. The crystals are pure THC-A. It becomes THC when vaporized (or dabbed).
Just some nerd knowledge for anyone who cares...

--------------------

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
    #25825763 - 02/20/19 05:37 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

It's just like psychedelics... It can trigger underlying issues in one prone. That said my use of marinol led to a really irritable state.

Also apparently put a butane extract in the freezer in a closed container after evaporating most of the solvent away and THC crystals will form. I haven't tried it only heard of it.

Edit: Don't spout things you don't know.. THC-A just like any cannabinoid can be crystallized. At HIGH temps past 200 f the THCA covers into THC, but that's WAY past room temperature.

Edit 2: pure THC is also not made with "harsh chemicals," but very light solvents and temperature adjustment. It's ignorance like that which causes cops and lawmakers to jump to bad conclusions.

Edited by tacodude (02/20/19 05:44 PM)

Invisibletrvptamine
P-Mx$$
Male

Re: Can Weed Cause Paranoia? [Re: tacodude]
    #25827196 - 02/21/19 08:59 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Are you talking to me?

You could just do a little reasearch and realize im right.
Pure THC is an oil at room temperature and THC-A is a crystal/powder. When heated to a certain point (vaporized) THC-A turns into active THC.
Thats exactly what I said above.

--------------------

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
    #25828094 - 02/21/19 03:30 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Oh yeah my bad... Didn't notice you specified thc from THCA. You're definitely on point

Invisibletrvptamine
P-Mx$$
Male

#25828207 - 02/21/19 04:13 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

No worries. IDK why I always have to correct people. My bad. Im an asshole know it all.

--------------------

OfflineOfTheVoid46
Timeless
Male

Loc: USA
    #25830005 - 02/22/19 12:46 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not sure why people pretend on here that it can't make you paranoid or needs to be injected.
Before it was becoming legal and people felt like the truth needed to be hidden it was common knowledge.

If I go a little while without consuming THC, it will make me paranoid in any form. I live in a legal state and have no reason to worry. It's simply a side effect.

I've had many friends experience the same. Derp. It's weed. Yes it can make you paranoid.

--------------------

Invisibletrvptamine
P-Mx$$
Male

Re: Can Weed Cause Paranoia? [Re: OfTheVoid46]
    #25830009 - 02/22/19 12:50 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Certain strains pretty much make me paranoid no matter what,

--------------------

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25830072 - 02/22/19 01:20 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Paranoia can be real or a projection of the imagination.  It's complex how the human brain has to imagine possible scenerios of what could go wrong.  If you find yourself daydreaming too much then it can become complicated; with what you do or do not see coming.

That is the basics of addiction as well.  We see sobriety as such a bad thing that we ignore real danger for a basic response.  Sooner or later the drugs build up a tolerance that we can no longer ignore our real fear.

--------------------

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
    #25830260 - 02/22/19 02:30 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

It has a lot to do with the alkaloids mainly THC/V + CBN/CBD. There's also the aromatherapy aspect too.

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25830265 - 02/22/19 02:32 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Needing cannabis makes me paranoid but cannabis itself makes be super cool and dumb.  I need dumb moments for a reality check.

Humans just aren't smart and that gets manipulated by people that think they are smart.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale