Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Hot Plate, Magic Flight Launch Box, Malt Extract, Parafilm, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Vaporizer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblestaytrippy420

Loc: Canada Flag
What do I need to get started from agar? (trusted cultivators)
    #25822653 - 02/19/19 02:10 PM (2 years, 11 days ago)

Ok so I've been reading all these teks and watching vids on how I should get started from scratch and its been a little overwhelming..

I came across Bods tek on getting started. It states that I should start with agar, and I understand why this is the way togo, but I'm lost on the steps and what supplies I will need. This thread will help me keep everything in order (shopping list, steps, etc)  I don't have lots of money to throw at this hobby so I'm trying todo this as cheap as possible. I understand somethings are going to cost money theres no way around that. This is the plan I've got so far:

1. build a SAB (tote, coffee can)
2. get some lab supplies (alcohol, agar, light malt extract, nutritional yeast, petri dishes, scalpel, inoculation loop, gloves, media bottles, torch, cling wrap)
3. mix agar & nutrients (pyrex media bottles) 
4. sterilize agar in media bottles (pressure cooker)
5. pour agar into dishes & inoculate (spore prints)

Am I missing anything? I won't be moving forward into preparing grains until I get all this mastered. Any tips or advice from trusted cultivators, or people who have experience with agar, would be much appreciated. Please, unless you have been successful with agar don't reply to this thread as I am only looking for accurate information that will be useful. Thank you

--------------------
Tek's I use

LAGM2020

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: What do I need to get started from agar? (trusted cultivators) [Re: staytrippy420]
    #25822705 - 02/19/19 02:50 PM (2 years, 11 days ago)

I think you have everything listed there. There are a few alternatives that may be cheaper I can throw at you.

Innoc loop. For most uses you can replace it with some wire or paper clip. Basically a blunt metal tool that can be flame sterilized is fine for scraping prints. Bend wire into a loop if you want to spread out a syringe drop like the tek shows.

Petri's & Pyrex Bottle. I really think these plates are the most comfortable to work with so I'm not trying to steer you away from pouring petris. There's an alternative Tek where you mix up agar and sterilize it in individual tupperware "plates". These plates are re-usable and would cut out the cost of a Pyrex flask and additional plates.
Pasty Plates
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19208976

Since cost is a concern, you could make these substitutions to get started and add more professional pour plates & tools later.

/e Maybe worth noting as well, petris cost much less if you get them by the box(500) instead of by the sleeve(10-20). It makes a lot of sense to me to use Pasty Plates to learn & save up for a box of plates.

Edited by LtLurker (02/19/19 02:54 PM)

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
Re: What do I need to get started from agar? (trusted cultivators) [Re: LtLurker] * 1
    #25822728 - 02/19/19 03:01 PM (2 years, 11 days ago)

You can also save some money by using Quart jars like you would for grain for making agar. The Pyrex media bottles are very nice and much easier to work with but they are $20-40 ea.

OfflineDnDRnD
Hobby cultivator

Loc: Washington Flag
Re: What do I need to get started from agar? (trusted cultivators) [Re: denger]
    #25822766 - 02/19/19 03:28 PM (2 years, 11 days ago)

If you have 1/2 pint mason jars laying around you can do those using a no pour agar tek, they can be steam sterilized as well

--------------------
Bods Easy AF Oat Prep Tek
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24126032

Pastywhytes No Pour Agar Tek (PastyPlates)
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19208976

Shaperdreamings Shoebox Assembly Tek
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26009662

InvisibleFeasoghorm

Re: What do I need to get started from agar? (trusted cultivators) [Re: staytrippy420]
    #25822862 - 02/19/19 04:18 PM (2 years, 11 days ago)

I'm justa peasant. This is jst my 2 cents.
I thnk i started my first succesful cultures in 1/2pt masons. They're kind of a pain to work with in my opinion. Pasty plates dnt work for me either. Before i got a PC my agar work was frought with contamination. Without a PC i cud only sucessfully do cakes. Steam sterilization was iffy for me.

With a PC i use pre-mixed MEA, add water, boil, pour into old everclear bottle with 1/4" hole in cap stuffed with polyfill covered with a little foil, PC that shit for 45min, let it cool enough to work with, pour a sleeve of petris in my sab, let it solidify/cool, inoculate, wrap with some kinda clingy plastic wrap shit...done. Never used a loop. Only have an exacto knife. For myself this is the easiest agar path.

I also never use gloves, yeast, or iso alcohol. Only lysol wipes and fire. It's rad shit! You'll find your way after playing a bit.

OfflineFireneeb
Stranger
Re: What do I need to get started from agar? (trusted cultivators) [Re: Feasoghorm]
    #25823482 - 02/19/19 09:12 PM (2 years, 11 days ago)

Agar is deff the way to start. My first jars contaminated on me a couple months ago, I learned agar and it’s been a lot smoother since. I bought:
1. Media bottle 500 ml
2. Agar powder
3. Light malt extract
4. Disposable Petri dishes
5. 3 Xacto knives
6. Parafilm
7. SAB
8. Cookie racks for inside my SAB
9. Infrared thermometer
10. A new pot solely used for boiling agar
11. A pressure cooker
12. Vape wire for an innoc loop

Can’t think of anything else I’ve needed

Invisiblestaytrippy420

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: What do I need to get started from agar? (trusted cultivators) [Re: DnDRnD]
    #25823690 - 02/19/19 10:40 PM (2 years, 11 days ago)

Thanks guys!! All very useful information!! Keep it coming..

I live in a remote area so I have to wait till I go to town to buy things, or get them shipped out.
I will start with building a SAB then determine what direction I want to go with the agar.

Again, Thanks a lot. I will be posting updates as I go and if anyone els has any useful info that could help me along the way, let me know!

Edited by staytrippy420 (02/19/19 10:58 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Hot Plate, Magic Flight Launch Box, Malt Extract, Parafilm, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Vaporizer

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started