Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebrshroomer
Moss bear hunter
Male User Gallery

agaricus subrufescens, confirmation wanted
    #25819429 - 02/17/19 05:42 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Habitat:
found growing on soil in a grassy field, in Sao Paulo state, Brazil (south america, ocurrence of A. subrufescens is documented).

collected after rainy week, we are in late summer here.

Gills:

salmon pink when collected, reaching deep brown during printing, detached from the stipe, somewhat blotchy with off white when seen with the mushroom sliced in half lengthwise.

Stem:
aprox. 10mm diameter and 10 to 15cm long, white, with veil apparent but otherwise smooth, meaty but with a hollow developing in the lower part of it.

Cap:

aprox. 10cm in diameter, convex shaped, white flesh with scaly golden brown spots in the top, more densely located at the center, fringed white edges from the veil being detached.

Spore print color:

dark brown to coffee brown.

Bruising:

not any bruising apparent at the cap, blushed very very slightly pink at the very base of the stipe.

Other information:

no distinctive smell besides pleasantly mushroomy at collection, however when cooked it became very sweet smelling (i can kinda see almond like just as the description, but the sweet smell after cooked was confirmed by other impartial observers haha)

when cooked it also acquired a very sweet taste, almost like candied almonds(i've never had a mushroom that actually tasted sweet as this one does). and it definitely had the same texture as champignon mushrooms and some reminescent taste of it.

must add that i only ate a small portion just to appease people that say its irresponsible to eat mushrooms without proper identification

--------------------

trade list & wanted list

pinning triggers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDuggstarMDiscord
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
Trusted Identifier
Re: agaricus subrufescens, confirmation wanted [Re: brshroomer]
    #25819758 - 02/17/19 08:00 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Your ID seems spot on to me, but wait for a TI to confirm.

Quote:

must add that i only ate a small portion just to appease people that say its irresponsible to eat mushrooms without proper identification

Once you've established that it is an Agaricus species, it is not necessary to determine the exact species to know that it is edible. If it doesn't stain bright yellow, and doesn't have an unpleasant chemical smell like Indian ink or iodine, but has a pleasant mushroomy smell with hints of almond or anise, then it is edible.

InvisibleTangich

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: agaricus subrufescens, confirmation wanted [Re: Duggstar]
    #25820180 - 02/18/19 03:14 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I'm not sure this is A. subrufescens. It looks similar, but lacks the floccose stipe and veil. I've tried to grow this species once many years ago, never got it to fruit, but the mycelium had the strongest and most amazing smell of almonds! You'd definitely notice it if it was subrufescens. So I think this is another Agaricus species. Still a great find tho! :super:

Offlinebrshroomer
Moss bear hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: agaricus subrufescens, confirmation wanted [Re: Tangich]
    #25821481 - 02/18/19 05:46 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

thank you both for the input.

tangich - my sniffer might be defective...cooked they did have a noticeable almondy smell, but i guess i'll have to plate it and see if the mycelium smells like it should.

i'm not far away from the location of the first described sighting of this species in Brazil (the municipality of Piedade, in Sao Paulo)...maybe a 100 miles.

not the first time i saw one of these either...i'm making some cultures now but if they don't take i should be able to collect a few more specimens in the next days...it's been raining a bit.

--------------------

trade list & wanted list

pinning triggers

Offlinebrshroomer
Moss bear hunter
Male User Gallery

#25822042 - 02/19/19 02:46 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

So...had some insomnia this night and at 6am had that 'feeling' and decided to take a walk to the place where i found the first specimen.(its pretty close by)

found this little boy at the same spot, plucked it from the grass and gave a whiff to the base of the stipe. immediately got overwhelmed with the almondy sweet smell. couldn't stop smiling. the other one must have been a little older and somehow less 'potent'

PLUS - this time i can clearly see the fibrose silk like filaments covering the stem that is described in literature, and the veil still attached and definitely somewhat floccose near the attachment point to the cap in the veil.

what do you guys think?

--------------------

trade list & wanted list

pinning triggers

InvisibleTangich

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #25822044 - 02/19/19 02:54 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

That's awesome! :super: I can't tell you for sure if that is subrufescens or a closely related species, I have enough trouble identifying our local Agaricus. But most signs point to it being Agaricus subrufescens. Definitely clone that beauty!

Offlinebrshroomer
Moss bear hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: agaricus subrufescens, confirmation wanted [Re: Tangich] * 1
    #25822288 - 02/19/19 07:23 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

looks pretty when cut...gills are pale (also as described in literature) , bruising pinkish. the rest of the mushroom does not seem to show bruising. If it does it is a veeery pale pink or off white

the half section is a bit torn because its after the tissue samples were taken. two from gills, two from cap, two from stipe.

the agar looks a bit messy...it's an oat meal agar and its my first time working with it, found it recommended in a published paper for this species.

--------------------

trade list & wanted list

pinning triggers

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck