Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Microdosing reduces depression and mind wandering but increases neuroticism
    #25817832 - 02/16/19 10:54 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

https://www.psypost.org/2019/02/microdosing-reduces-depression-and-mind-wandering-but-increases-neuroticism-according-to-first-of-its-kind-study-53131?fbclid=IwAR0tudzuS2-Ne-mxL9Z4r4PUGQ80ZDUebTGZ0zCFPXtBCHt-8rKiyFXejkc

Microdosing reduces depression and mind wandering but increases neuroticism, according to first-of-its-kind study

By ERIC W. DOLAN  February 13, 2019

A new exploratory study has attempted to systematically measure the psychological changes produced by microdosing — or taking very small amounts of psychedelic substances on a regular basis. The findings, which appear in PLOS One, suggest that microdosing can improve several aspects of psychological functioning — but the effects are not necessarily what people expect.

“Over the last few years there has been intense media interest in microdosing. There are thousands of news stories and personal accounts online that describe a wide range of benefits associated with microdosing but there is very little scientific evidence on the topic. We wanted to see whether these claims were justified or whether the effects of microdosing could be explained by expectations or placebo,” said study author Vince Polito, a research fellow at Macquarie University.

The researchers recruited 98 microdosers, who provided daily ratings of their psychological functioning over a six week period. The participants, who microdosed LSD, psilocybin and mescaline, also completed a comprehensive questionnaire at the start and end of the six week period.

There were several positive short-term effects. The participants reported heightened levels of connectedness, contemplation, creativity, focus, happiness, productiveness, and wellbeing on days they microdosed.

The researchers also observed some long-term effects. Depression decreased and attention increased during the six week period, but neuroticism slightly increased as well. People with high levels of neuroticism are more likely to experience negative emotions. There were no significant changes in mindfulness, mystical experience, positive personality traits, creativity, sense of agency or overall quality of life from the beginning to the end of the study.

“This was very preliminary research, so our findings need to be taken cautiously. But we found indications that microdosing had a range of effects. We found reductions in depression, stress and mind wandering; and also increases in focused attention. We also found an increase in the experience of unpleasant emotions so the effects of microdosing appear to mixed,” Polito told PsyPost.

The researchers conducted an additional study with 263 participants to compare microdosers’ expectations to the actual effects experienced by participants in the main study.

“We also looked at people’s beliefs around microdosing and found that although people did have strong predictions about what they thought would happen, these beliefs did not match the actual psychological changes we saw when we tracked the experience of microdosers. This indicates that it was not just expectations that explain our results,” Polito said.

In particular, the participants expected that neuroticism would decrease rather than increase. They also expected that creativity, wellbeing, and mindfulness would increase.

“Because microdosing is illegal in most parts of the world we had to adapt our study design. This was not a direct, lab-based experimental investigation of microdosing. Instead we systematically tracked the experiences of people already microdosing using an anonymous online system,” Polito explained.

“This means that our results rely on the accuracy and honesty of participants’ reports. As such these results highlight some important possible effects of microdosing but more careful follow up research is needed to confirm these findings.”

The study, “A systematic study of microdosing psychedelics“, was authored by Vince Polito and Richard J. Stevenson.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZiran
The Hero of Time
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Temple of Time
Re: Microdosing reduces depression and mind wandering but increases neuroticism [Re: motaman]
    #25817929 - 02/17/19 12:18 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

feelings as anxiety, worry, fear, anger, frustration, envy, jealousy, guilt, depressed mood, and loneliness.

Aren't these just normal things that everyone experiences?

--------------------
Song Of Healing
:super: Updated Pf Tek Guide :super:
Ziran's Teks
AMU Q&A Thread
The Chinese word for nature is zìrán and it means that of which is of itself.

Offlineshroomguy087
Peace Warrior
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: Microdosing reduces depression and mind wandering but increases neuroticism [Re: Ziran]
    #25817978 - 02/17/19 01:19 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Anxiety, worry, fear, anger, frustration, envy, jealousy, guilt, depressed mood & loneliness are normal things that everyone experiences but neuroticism is a fundamental personality trait to experience these emotions more often than the average societal consensus reality. Using the best synonym I can think of, neuroticism is akin to being sensitive & having a propensity to feel such a way as opposed to predominantly being chill or cool. In my experiences with microdosing hundreds of times over varying frequencies the last four or so years, it is more likely to feel radical changes in your emotional depth. For example, when feeling a certain way I am really behind the feeling before it flips to being a different strong emotion rather than a slow gradual shift in between them, sort of like bouncing back & forth instead of wavering in between. Hope this helps, have an awesome week & enjoy your dosing!!

--------------------
:grin::mushroom2::stoned::mushroom2::grin:

~ Love All For Being ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DGnWzr5hXc

OfflineMikeTesserect
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Microdosing reduces depression and mind wandering but increases neuroticism [Re: motaman]
    #25818040 - 02/17/19 04:00 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I hate to sound like my 3rd grade drug and alcohol counselor but its going to take work and psychological effort to achieve these positive states they are seeking! U cant be too reliant on drugs. I did it for years and it got me nowhere. Their ego is the main problem. good luck with that lol

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Microdosing reduces depression and mind wandering but increases neuroticism [Re: MikeTesserect]
    #25818105 - 02/17/19 05:32 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Swedenborg said something to the effect of 'the bigger the ego the better it can be'

It is the ego has a lot of capability.  It's repressed.  States of ecstasy are very neurotic.  It's all about getting the ego high, while respecting your vulnerability.

--------------------
"in sterquiliniis invenitur in stercore invenitur"

In filth it will be found in dung it will be found

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Microdosing reduces depression and mind wandering but increases neuroticism [Re: Morel Guy]
    #25818447 - 02/17/19 09:00 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

“This means that our results rely on the accuracy and honesty of participants’ reports. As such these results highlight some important possible effects of microdosing but more careful follow up research is needed to confirm these findings.”

So basically, its just a survey it seems. They could list possible effects all they want but from what im reading doesnt seem like a good study.

That aside, i wouldnt doubt that microdosing any tryptamine could increase neurosis/anxiety. Especially when administered daily.

When i tripped every weekend, though, i think i was less neurotic and probably more happy. But this too isnt evidence of anything. There could be many other reasons for this.

Eventually i will say tripping did get to me and i did start getting anxious, so i cut down a whole lot. For a while didnt really trip at all (mostly lsd and mda back then)

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Microdosing reduces depression and mind wandering but increases neuroticism [Re: Fractal420]
    #25818493 - 02/17/19 09:27 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Dolan wrote this article
Interesting people in the dolan clan.  One is into UFO's.  Another works or worked for marine corp intel.

Nuerotic psychosis is a effect from tripping.  Weed helped me come down.  Suppose that could take awhile for really bad trips.

So many drugs are so different and the bioavailabilty can be screwy and delayed.  Micro dosing trichs was good stuff.  Not much purpose in going very deep into a trip but I feel that should be a freedom.

--------------------

Offlinegandalfe
Gandalfe
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
    #25818699 - 02/17/19 11:44 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Everyone does psychedelics for varying reasons.Most people normally dose, for the best overall effect.The "micro dosers,' are often younger upward mobile, people looking to make something of themselves.Different reasons, and different people, that normally take these drugs.They are looking to achieve the effects of meditation, through psychedelics.Both are psychedelic in nature, but meditation is much more powerful.It is also a lot harder to achieve and requires more focus,energy, and a daily practice.In my opinion, taking tiny doses of psychedelics is like meditating for 15 seconds a day, and expecting enlightenment.T. Mckenna said to take "mega doses" and that is the ,great mind, that I will continue to listen to.Taking a tiny dose is like putting on your "G string," and then go to work.

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
    #25818751 - 02/17/19 12:08 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Probably why it is common practice for microdosers to take time off, like 6 weeks/few weeks off, 1month/1month, or one day on/one day off. Whatever regime they have tailored for themselves. From my limited experience with micro-dosing, and much larger experience with psychedelics at large, I could easily imagine something along these lines occurring. Especially with more stimulating or longer lasting compounds like LSD and psychedelic phenethylamines or if the tryptamine dose is too high.(not saying this is accurate, just more easily imagined)

My personal theory is much of the positive effects of micro-dosing(and psychedelics in general) occur through allostasis, but push it too far for too long and you start getting negative effects.

Edited by Holybullshit (02/17/19 12:17 PM)

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Microdosing reduces depression and mind wandering but increases neuroticism [Re: Holybullshit]
    #25819058 - 02/17/19 02:45 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I didnt have a bad trip, i did it too often and did alot of 2ce so when i was 19 at some point i started having some unwanted post trip visuals. It wasnt really any kind of "psychosis". Just no surface seemed 100% static/still. When i looked at a carpet and asked myself "is there any movement?" I usually couldnt say "no, not at all."

Even more interesting, i noticed that certain emotions would bring out the visuals. For example, when i got really angry, suddenly boom say my computer screen starts moving. Had this happen once because of lsd @ like 300ug weekly. That was gone after a month of no tripping, and it happened again after i did 2ce weekly for a bit. When i stopped using it, i still would get visuals for maybe 2-3 months. Then it stopped completely after i stopped tripping so damn often.

I dont think MDA caused anything like that, though. Just the full-on psychs, especially 2ce.

So, yeah. Life lesson. This was like 15 years ago. Now i trip once in a blue moon. And usually just on mushrooms. Occassionally L and even more rarely rolling

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Microdosing reduces depression and mind wandering but increases neuroticism [Re: Fractal420]
    #25819253 - 02/17/19 04:17 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I don't know much about most of the drugs.  Seems people get a sample and go wild with it.

I never did have tested pressed pills.  They can be quite a surprise not knowing.  That was back when I had a social life.

Now sobriety is a hard drug.  The hardest!

--------------------

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
Re: Microdosing reduces depression and mind wandering but increases neuroticism [Re: Morel Guy]
    #25819399 - 02/17/19 05:28 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I wrote a paper on this stuff

it did cure OCD and alcohol
but yeah negative people really don't change that much

OfflineCountHTML
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Loc: Maine
Re: Microdosing reduces depression and mind wandering but increases neuroticism [Re: Konyap]
    #25819701 - 02/17/19 07:40 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

A marginal increase in neuroticism is not necessarily a bad thing, or at least entirely a bad thing. Though, it is something most of us would try to avoid. Interesting “side effect.” I’d guess it has to do with the psychological amplifier aspect, but who knows.

OfflineLiquidVisions
Consumes Psychoactive Material
 User Gallery

Re: Microdosing reduces depression and mind wandering but increases neuroticism [Re: CountHTML]
    #25819914 - 02/17/19 09:11 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

It makes sense to me, It always seemed like psychedelics allow me to experience negative emotions created by the environment I'm in. Most of the time sober, I feel as if my mood is shaped by my environment, so It makes sense, with a perception that's been widened aren't you susceptible to picking up more information, and/or vibes if you will? and doesn't this make you more susceptible to picking up negative input from your environment, provoking fear, anxiety, etc..

--------------------
Step 1: Stare at this for 30 seconds

Step 2: Look at this after following step one

Step 3: Enjoy the mini trip :trippinbawelz:

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
    #25819955 - 02/17/19 09:44 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:
I didnt have a bad trip, i did it too often and did alot of 2ce so when i was 19 at some point i started having some unwanted post trip visuals. It wasnt really any kind of "psychosis". Just no surface seemed 100% static/still. When i looked at a carpet and asked myself "is there any movement?" I usually couldnt say "no, not at all."

I had the exact same thing happen to me, maybe not as frequently/consistently. But even after many years of not tripping at all I could still look at wood grain, tiles, or the right pattern and make it start swimming by not focusing too hard. Eventually it went away completely, I kind of missed it.

Like you I only ingest sparingly nowadays, but every time I take a large dose it brings it back for a couple weeks. Although I never had it where I couldn't concentrate to make it stop, or it always make every start pattern melting.

Seemed to really kick in every time I would sit down to take a shit.

Never worried me though for some reason, although I see why it should have.

Edited by Holybullshit (02/17/19 09:47 PM)

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Microdosing reduces depression and mind wandering but increases neuroticism [Re: Holybullshit]
    #25820133 - 02/18/19 02:08 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I think that sort of thing just happens with hallucinogens. Its not HPPD, its more like just being too used to the effects of tripping often, and when you finally learn to control visuals to an extent i guess it takes a bit to "turn off".

It doesnt happen to me anymore really. I just tripped too much when i was 18-19. After 2-3 months it all went back to normal. As long as i moderate my use, that shit doesnt happen. I really do think it was mostly the 2ce too. LSD wasnt too bad with the post trip visuals. That would be more like a bit the next day, i dont think lsd post trip visuals ever lasted too long.

But ive never messing with 2ce again. That stuff is so insanely visual, and i guess it has some lasting effects

Its funny that for you the trigger was going to the bathroom. For me it was when i suddenly got angry for one reason or another. Perhaps just strain/stress in general makes it happen

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder