Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Papaver Somniferum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
All the dogs had suddenly stopped barking...
    #2580465 - 04/20/04 12:48 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"... Then the day after we arrived, in a bizarre replay of the first TV show ever broadcast to Panape, prisoners escaped from a jail, broke into the radio station, and murdered the DJ. Then they went off on a rampage through the jungle, armed with lawnmower blades. In all, four people were murdered in cold blood. Detectives, flown in from Guam to investigate, swarmed everywhere. At night we stayed in our cottages, listening out into the jungle.

Finally, the local chief decided to hold a ceremony for the murder victims. The artist Marina Brownovich and I went, as representatives of our group, to film it. The ceremony was held in a large thatched lean-to and most of the ceremony involved cooking beans in pits and brewing a dark drink from roots. The smell was overwhelming. Dogs were running around barking. And everybody seemed to be having a fairly good time, as funerals go.

After a few hours Marina and I were presented to the chief, who was sitting on a raised platform above the pits. We'd been told we couldn't turn our backs on the chief at any time or ever be higher than he was. So we scrambled up onto the platform with our film equipment and sort of duck-waddled up backwards to the chief.

As a present, I brought one of those Fred Flintstone cameras, the kind where the film canister is also the body of the camera, and I presented it to the chief. He seemed delighted and began to click off pictures. He wasn't advancing the film between shots, but since we were told we shouldn't speak unless spoken to, I wasn't able to inform him that he wasn't going to get twelve pictures, but only one, very, very complicated one.

After a couple more hours the chief lifted his hand, and there was absolute silence. All the dogs had suddenly stopped barking. We looked around and saw the dogs. All their throats had been simultaneously cut, and their bodies, still breathing, pierced with rods, were turning over the pits. The chief insisted we join in the meal but Marina had turned green and I asked if we could just have ours to go. They carefully wrapped the dogs in leaves, and we carried their bodies away."

--Laurie Anderson

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
Re: All the dogs had suddenly stopped barking... [Re: Papaver]
    #2580576 - 04/20/04 01:08 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

You didnt forget the doggie bag before ya left?...I fucking hate it when i leave the leftovers :nonono:It pisses me off to no end

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: All the dogs had suddenly stopped barking... [Re: OldSpice]
    #2580761 - 04/20/04 01:34 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Just something I was listening to while doing some chores earlier...

"Now the book is called Stories from the Nerve Bible and what I mean by the Nerve Bible is the body. And parts of the body appear and disappear throughout the book, adding up to a kind of self-portrait although not a very naturalistic one.

And I used the word Bible in the title of this book because the first really strange stories I remember hearing were Bible stories. And these stories were completely amazing: about parting oceans, and talking snakes. And people really seemed to believe these stories. And I'm talking about adults.

Adults, who mainly just did the most mundane things imaginable: mowing their lawns and throwing potluck parties; they all believed in these wild stories. And they would sit around and discuss them in the most matter-of-fact way.

So in a way I was introduced to a special local form of surrealism at an early age, and so there was always a question in my mind about what's actually true and what is just another art form.

Now I've always been interested in trying to define what makes up the late twentieth century American for example, and so, as an artist, I've always thought my main job was to be a spy, to use my eyes and ears, and find some of the answers.

For example, I like to hang around the banks of phones in airports, one of my favorite listening posts, and eavesdrop on conversations. Now, I usually travel on the same schedule as salesmen, and after lunch these guys call into the main office, and I just stand there at the phones, listening in and taking notes for my portrait of the American salesmen.

'Oh Frank?'
'Listen, Frank.'
'You know, I hate to say this about Brad.'
'I mean we both know he's got a heck of a job.'
'Ya, ya. Oh you're so right.'
'But you know, we both know that Brad isn't pulling his weight.'
'You know what I mean?'
'And I'm not saying this just because we're both up for the same Safeway account.'

So this book is really a collection of voices and stories as well as portraits of people that I've met along the way."

--Laurie Anderson

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1M
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: All the dogs had suddenly stopped barking... [Re: Papaver]
    #2580812 - 04/20/04 01:44 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Papaver said:
[i prisoners escaped from a jail, broke into the radio station, and murdered the DJ.

it wasnt me...

Laurie Anderson does some interesting stuff...she almost frightens me...

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: All the dogs had suddenly stopped barking... [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #2581273 - 04/20/04 03:35 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, she is really amazing live! I saw her in Berkeley, CA, for the Sharkey's Day tour. I think that was back in '81 or something. It was an amazing show! :cool:

I guess her and Lou Reed got married back in the early nineties. I thought that was cool. Talk about your New York, avant guard, power couple...

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Papaver Somniferum

Community >> The Pub