Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Petri Dish, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineforest_found
Stranger
First Timer Progress Photos and questions
    #25801631 - 02/09/19 02:59 PM (2 years, 21 days ago)

Hi Again!

Thanks for the feedback I got on my first post! Since then I've inoculated some agar and am eagerly awaiting that and my first round of 4 MS shoeboxes. Excited to clone some fruit. :smile:

So I initially started with 8 PF Tek jars and then made a batch of Rye and made MS Grain jars(I know this is bad, but I wanted to try it) 3 days after getting the PF Tek going. Luckily besides some not so well mixed BRF and verm in two of the PK Tek jars everything germinated and colonized well with no contams. I saw immediately why grain is better, it colonized way faster and with shaking even faster still.

So next then I chose to do shoeboxes to be able to keep things separate and it just seemed smarter to go that route when I'm doing MS and not sure how things are going to pan out. I was planning on going monotub, but that will be for after I get a good clone and am not working with MS spawn.

I used Bod's Bucket Tek and did ~1qt spawn to 2-2.5 qts coir. I have one shoebox with broken up PK Tek cakes. Another box with grain that I experimented doing a g2g transfer from my fully colonized MS jars that weren't totally colonized(prob 50%). And finally two boxes with the MS grain jars that seemed perfect and were fully colonized. I didn't do a liner as BOD indicated packing the sides a bit before leveling would stop side-pinning.

As an aside, OMG the smell was so good breaking up the grain jars and making those shoeboxes, I never knew it was going to smell so good. wow...

Anyway I made these on Weds so here is are photos from one of the MS grain boxes from 3 days after making it. I have them colonizing at 80 degrees in the dark. It seems like colonizing and then going to FC makes sense, but BOD seems to think it's not needed. I think next time I'll try one each way. Anyway here's some shots seems good to me but I don't really know.

Looking good for 3 days into colonization?

So I'm debating my next steps and wondered what folks thought about making a monotub and putting the shoeboxes in it for fruiting? I want to have a monotub(or 10) anyway and thought it would work well.

Is micropore tape fine for the FAE holes or is polyfill really the way to go? SFD are really only used for jars right?

Does anyone use an ultrassonic fogger for keeping humidity up instead of misting? I bought one and humidity sensor/PID. I want to use it in the monotub and thought it would also help with FAE. Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Forest

Edited by forest_found (02/09/19 03:42 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMiracleMike
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: First Timer Progress Photos and questions [Re: forest_found]
    #25801783 - 02/09/19 04:14 PM (2 years, 21 days ago)

Looks pretty good!

I think according to Bodhisatta you don't need any tape at all at this stage. Once I mixed grain jars with coco coir I haven't use any. Just holes (about 4-5mm) and slightly opened lid. Again, according to Bodhisatta you don't even need any holes in box -- slightly opened lid is enough.

Though I had some issues with humidity. The surface starts to dry out and I saw bruises all over the myc, yet additional misting created small ponds on the surface. Solve this by applying spare coir as a casing layer and mist it as it starts to dry. Bod says that casing is the waste of time, yet it serves it's purpose in my case.

Also, I tried to put SBs in MT. For SBs it helped to avoid drying problems, but then I just moved toward the casing, cause I had to spawn more jars in MT.

Haven't use USfogger.

--------------------
Technically alcohol is a solution

Offlineforest_found
Stranger
Re: First Timer Progress Photos and questions [Re: MiracleMike]
    #25801900 - 02/09/19 05:27 PM (2 years, 20 days ago)

Thanks for the reply Mike!

Are there any visual guides on colonization progress in shoeboxes?

Now I just wait for full colonization and then move to lower temp, up the FAE, and light em up!?

So with the MS launching point that these come from will my SBs have some areas that don't pin and others that thrive? Have people had MS grows produce well despite the odds or should I have really low expectations until I clone a good fruit?

Thanks again!

InvisibleXnMe
Somth'n of a Somth'n
 User Gallery

#25801944 - 02/09/19 05:52 PM (2 years, 20 days ago)

Dude at 80° your helping mold grow.
Mycelium generates it's own heat so your tub is getting way hotter than it should be and that hurts the myc.
Quote:

forest_found said:

I experimented doing a g2g transfer from my fully colonized MS jars that weren't totally colonized(prob 50%).

Wut??^

I use Mico tape on my monos, like in pasty's mono Tek.

I have shoe boxes and other novelty tubs going in a huge mono, it's alright, but they will be fine in the shoe box with a plastic grocery bag with holes poked in it over it. No need for a FC.

You don't need a fogger or a humidity reader.
Just get your C.V.G. mix right and you shouldn't have to mist but a couple times if not any on the first flush

Click the link in my signature, it's all there.

Edited by XnMe (02/09/19 05:56 PM)

Offlineforest_found
Stranger
Re: First Timer Progress Photos and questions [Re: XnMe]
    #25801972 - 02/09/19 06:07 PM (2 years, 20 days ago)

Thanks XnMe!

So 80 degrees is not good? It just gets really cold here and I thought that colonization was helped by heat. I can turn it down. Thankfully no contams yet in any of the approaches I've done

Quote:

XnMe said:

Wut??^

LOL yeah that's a jumbled sentence. Basically I tried doing a little g2g(just trying to get my techniques down) from my colonized MS rye into some more sterilized rye. I just did a quart and a pint. Then my PF Tek and the other rye all were ready to rock and the g2g jars hadn't fully colonized by then so I decided to try them in their own SB without being fully colonized.

I figured my agar transfers and clones will be rolling soon and would rather focus on that then babysit those last two jars. If that SB goes belly up it's not the end of the world.

Offlineforest_found
Stranger
    #25801976 - 02/09/19 06:09 PM (2 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

XnMe said:
Just get your C.V.G. mix right and you shouldn't have to mist but a couple times if not any on the first flush

So straight Coir is not the one stop shop? I've read that folks tried without verm or gyp and that it didn't seem to matter. Not your experience?

InvisibleMiracleMike
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25802001 - 02/09/19 06:28 PM (2 years, 20 days ago)

I agree with XnMe on temp. My temperature was 20-22 night; 24-26 day (Celsius). I tried to lower the night temperature, and the day temperature was my regular room temp. And don't bother about keeping boxes in the dark.

I always used MS cultures. On first look it seems like one areas pinning better than the others, but I never worried about it since a couple of days later pins will be everywhere. Just pick the mushrooms when their veil cracks or just right before it. In my case it usually took about 2-4 days to harvest whole flush. Or you can just wait until all veils are cracked and harvest them all at one time.

Watch the surface. Bruises means low FAE or dehydration. Watch for contamination, but I've never had any on grains+coir. Also grains+coir cake will shrink over the time -- that is ok. And just grains+coir is totally fine. You may add some verm, gyp or whatever, but there's no need to. It's ok as is.

--------------------

Offlineforest_found
Stranger
    #25802057 - 02/09/19 07:00 PM (2 years, 20 days ago)

Quote:

MiracleMike said:
I always used MS cultures. On first look it seems like one areas pinning better than the others, but I never worried about it since a couple of days later pins will be everywhere.

So you never did a mono-culture from clone? I'd love to see a side by side comparison of MS and MC from the same starting spores.

Thanks again for your input! This site is really great. I would post on the Facebook group but it seems a lot riskier privacy wise than forums.

InvisibleMiracleMike
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25804105 - 02/10/19 06:32 PM (2 years, 19 days ago)

I'm ok with what I have from MS cultures. My MS B+ looks like the other average B+ mushrooms from reports. And even after a year they still much more potent than my fresh GT strain. It's like 3g GT = 2g B+. Maybe it's because genetic of that specific GT is just weaker, than genetics of this specific B+, who knows? But feel free to try!

I haven't go for MC because I desperately was in need of shrooms and I waned to get them as fast as it possible, so I skip the petri stuff. After I harvest my first flush for more than a kilogram I was like "Fuck this! I have more than enough to mess with MC". It's a year has passed since then and I still have enough shrooms for another one year. I'm not a dealer and these mushrooms only for me, so I won't grow more until I done with these.

--------------------

Offlineforest_found
Stranger
    #25805191 - 02/11/19 09:52 AM (2 years, 19 days ago)

Thank Mike,

Good to know! I will be doing this for personal use only as well, though I really love having it around and can go through about an ounce a month or so, with most doses falling slightly below the threshold for "tripping" and everything just is more focused and amazing. :smile:

So why not take the a clone and store it? It's my understanding that any inoculation done with mycelial matter speeds up the whole process immensely over doing MS and waiting for germination etc... But I guess if you've got enough and have the time MS is easier or atleast cuts out agar. Do you let some of your crop spore out and use that or just keep your syringes going?

Thanks for your replies! This community seems really cool.

Forest

InvisibleMiracleMike
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #25805360 - 02/11/19 11:13 AM (2 years, 19 days ago)

Beside spore prints I saved from last batch I have some rice grains with B+ in the fridge for next projects, but I'm not sure if it survive for another one year or so. Also, if you planning to save tissues for cloning, save more than one sample cause over time mycelium will get old and will produce mutated shrooms. I mean you can save a lot of tissue from, lets say, Generation 1 and clone them to whatever number of boxes you want, but these will be Generation 2 and if you'll save their tissues you may still have good Generation 3, but Generation 4 is likely will have mutations and other sort of degradation because this is still the first mycelium which have lived a long life and it is time for it to die. Yet the very first saved G1 mycelium is still young and healthy. I've never tried this myself, I read a reports on shroomery (BTW there is a lot of different science stuff here), but you can try. I think maybe one day I'll have some small size projects as a hobby, just to check all sorts of statements I found on shroomery. This is fun.

--------------------

Offlineforest_found
Stranger
    #25807610 - 02/12/19 12:20 PM (2 years, 18 days ago)

I'm pretty excited for seeing the genetics play out over generations and clones. So much to learn!

I feel like the mycelium are talking to me. lol

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Petri Dish, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started