Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Does a casing layer affect yield in this situation?
    #2576111 - 04/18/04 11:26 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Ok now i know this is sort of basic...but i dont know if anyone has had this situation...

A person has a grow chamber that keeps humidity at 95-99%rh constant with constant air exchange, now casings create a microclimate for pin formation because they keep rh around pins at 95-99%...if the chamber already does that, is a casing layer nessecary? and even if they "will" grow without a casing layer, does a casing layer increase yield somehow? I cant see how it would..and stamets says cubes dont require casing layers to fruit. So whats the deal? I posted this here because i wanted an answer from someone who has some experience with fruiting cased/non cased substrates. The person in question is spawing to poo/straw with wbs. Thanks alot ppl.

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSemilanceata
No god, no boss

Loc: República Federal Íbera
Re: Does a casing layer affect yield in this situation? [Re: GregHimself]
    #2576977 - 04/19/04 07:21 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

All I know is that theory is one thing and practice is another. IME, the difference in yield of a substrate cased vs an uncased substrate is like comparing my mother with a hot blond chick, you know!?. Also, if you add a casing layer, the need to care about the right environmental conditions requires less effort than having a big fat cake fruiting in a chamber. Just take a look at nature, do you see any mycellium fruiting without a layer of soil, or leaves or grass or something?

--------------------
Sr_Setahongo

OfflineOrangeCat
Plays well withself
Loc: NE US
Re: Does a casing layer affect yield in this situation? [Re: Semilanceata]
    #2577235 - 04/19/04 09:27 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

"Also, if you add a casing layer, the need to care about the right environmental conditions requires less effort..."

You don't need to worry as much about high RH, but contams are a bigger concern. Gotta make sure there's plenty of air exchange.

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
    #2579668 - 04/19/04 08:26 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

BUMP

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

Invisibletoad857
President of theUnited States

#2579726 - 04/19/04 08:35 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

if you're going to case anyway i wouldnt recommend keeping the chamber at high humidity. it's just inviting bacteria into your shroom house.

Offlinedaywalker
Do you dream in color?

Loc: in my skin
    #2579786 - 04/19/04 08:43 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Well, anyone who has fruited cakes successfully has experience with fruting on non-cased substrates. I have had substantial yields from PF cakes as well as from cased PF cakes and cased grain.

The casing layer does provide extra moisture to the fruit body. Increase yield as in quantity? not necessarily, but could produce bigger fruits.

I guess what you are asking is if a casing layer isn't correlated to an increase of yield and isn't required for fruiting cubes, then why bother... good question. :smile:

--------------------
"I suggest we ... learn to love our ... selves before it ... becomes illegal."

Offlinefuzygrowth
 User Gallery

#2589090 - 04/21/04 10:22 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Dude......... i'll tell you what. If your going to spawn onto straw/poo don't even bother casing. You will have a plentifull harvest. If you ask me all the casing layer really does is invite contams and make picking the mushroom a big mess. I used to always case... ALWAYS. untill one day my straw/poo pinned before i got the chance to case it. well, it was the best accident that ever happend to me. it was the first time i had 5 flushs with no contams whats so ever. And once my cat jumped right inside of it... steped ona bunch of mushies.. no probs. Do yourself a favor, save your self the time/money/effort and enjoy your mushies...........

Ps..... This is Chain by the way

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds