Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Stuntzii Habitat. Looking for tips on outdoor patch placement * 1
    #25772331 - 01/27/19 03:55 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

I'm trying to decide where to put a Stuntzii patch, so I've come to the subforum where people are likely to be familiar with their natural habitat. They seem like one of the less picky species but I figure its worth asking, maybe I'll get some tips.

Where to plant them: Just anywhere well drained with wood and/or manure and/or grass? Do they like shade? Being a lawn mushroom they might not care so much about the shade.

I noticed in psilcybin mushrooms of the world (but not other sources so far) that stamets says they tend to fruit close to the coast. I think the figure was within 90 kilometers of the coast. Thoughts on this?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineHamra
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Stuntzii Habitat. Looking for tips on outdoor patch placement [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #25772833 - 01/27/19 07:29 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Woodchips and shade is good. Curious why you picked stunzii to start a patch of. They are far weaker than cyans or allenii or azures, which grow in the same climates and conditions. Also curious how you plan to start this patch? From spores? Theres a process to start from spores, and if youre gonna go to that trouble, pick a more potent species IMO

OfflineDuggstarM
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
Trusted Identifier
Re: Stuntzii Habitat. Looking for tips on outdoor patch placement [Re: Hamra] * 1
    #25772975 - 01/27/19 08:27 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Hamra said:
Woodchips and shade is good. Curious why you picked stunzii to start a patch of.

I read on Wikipedia that these actually like to grow on bark mulch, which is what everyone uses around my neck of the woods, you can't even buy regular woodchips here, even at the biggest garden stores. Whereas P. cyanescens don't like bark mulch. So this has got me thinking, maybe P. stuntzii would be a good candidate to spread around my neighbourhood?

--------------------
How to add a picture to a post

OfflineTheDuder
Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: Stuntzii Habitat. Looking for tips on outdoor patch placement [Re: Duggstar] * 1
    #25773469 - 01/28/19 12:05 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

All woodlovers like bark mulch. Cyanescens, stuntzii and many others like ovoideocystidiata, allenii, azurescens etc. will do just fine on bark mulch.
As long as there wood youre good dude. :awesomenod:

--------------------

|-------------------[Ps. Azurescens]------------------------------------------[Ps. Semilanceata]--------------------------------------------[Ps. Allenii]------------------------|

|--------------[Ps. Ovoideocystidiata]------------------------------------------[Ps. Stuntzii]--------------------------------------------[Ps. Baeocystis]----------------------|

OfflineSk8nshram
pigskin footballs
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: Stuntzii Habitat. Looking for tips on outdoor patch placement [Re: TheDuder] * 2
    #25774243 - 01/28/19 10:41 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TheDuder said:
All woodlovers like bark mulch. Cyanescens, stuntzii and many others like ovoideocystidiata, allenii, azurescens etc. will do just fine on bark mulch.

I'm fairly certain they mean just the bark, which is devoid of any rich sources of nutrients the primary decomposers want. They still can get going but not near as well as on the actual wood underneath the bark.

Stunzii want well decayed wood. They are a secondary decomposer. Not sure how they would do on just bark mulch. Only one way to find out...

OfflineAstoriensis
Saprobe
Re: Stuntzii Habitat. Looking for tips on outdoor patch placement [Re: Sk8nshram] * 1
    #25774376 - 01/28/19 12:10 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

P stuntzii I've come across growing in wood debris and consumed are way stronger than given credit. I was not expecting them to be that strong. I've never found them in the grass yet.

I also have a culture of them and have started outdoor patches. Like P baeocystis, P stuntzii produce a very weak, fragile mycelium on grain. Best results using Brf, rhizo growth observed. I've found well aged wood chips are best like sk8 mentioned above. Scott's EarthGro brown mulch works well right out of the bag.

OfflineDuggstarM
 User Gallery

Loc: Ireland
Trusted Identifier
Re: Stuntzii Habitat. Looking for tips on outdoor patch placement [Re: Sk8nshram]
    #25774754 - 01/28/19 03:27 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Sk8nshram said:
Quote:

TheDuder said:

I'm fairly certain they mean just the bark, which is devoid of any rich sources of nutrients the primary decomposers want. They still can get going but not near as well as on the actual wood underneath the bark.

Stunzii want well decayed wood. They are a secondary decomposer. Not sure how they would do on just bark mulch. Only one way to find out...

The stuff I'm talking about is just labelled 'Bark mulch', but looking at it I can see some wood chips in it but I'm not sure what percentage. I'm pretty sure I read RR had said something about this, and it depends on the ratio of wood chip to bark, but I can't find it now.

TheDuder, do you have a source to back that up?

--------------------
How to add a picture to a post

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Stuntzii Habitat. Looking for tips on outdoor patch placement [Re: Hamra]
    #25774868 - 01/28/19 04:37 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Astoriensis said:
P stuntzii I've come across growing in wood debris and consumed are way stronger than given credit. I was not expecting them to be that strong. I've never found them in the grass yet.

I also have a culture of them and have started outdoor patches. Like P baeocystis, P stuntzii produce a very weak, fragile mycelium on grain. Best results using Brf, rhizo growth observed. I've found well aged wood chips are best like sk8 mentioned above. Scott's EarthGro brown mulch works well right out of the bag.

excellent :takingnotes:

Thanks a bunch for all the replies everyone, I didn't expect to get that many.

Quote:

Duggstar said:
Quote:

Hamra said:
Woodchips and shade is good. Curious why you picked stunzii to start a patch of.

I read on Wikipedia that these actually like to grow on bark mulch, which is what everyone uses around my neck of the woods, you can't even buy regular woodchips here, even at the biggest garden stores. Whereas P. cyanescens don't like bark mulch. So this has got me thinking, maybe P. stuntzii would be a good candidate to spread around my neighbourhood?

ahh yes, I like the way you think. That had not occurred to me.

Quote:

Hamra said:
Woodchips and shade is good. Curious why you picked stunzii to start a patch of. They are far weaker than cyans or allenii or azures, which grow in the same climates and conditions. Also curious how you plan to start this patch? From spores? Theres a process to start from spores, and if youre gonna go to that trouble, pick a more potent species IMO

By that logic nobody should grow anything but azurescens. Potency is not even on my priority list.

Since its all going outside anyway I haven't been bothering with agar. I'm just taking all my woodlovers to brf/sawdust cakes. Went very well with azures. allennii and cyans are just germinating, ovoids and stuntzii not far behind.

Now that I see that brf cakes knocked with wild spore syringes work just fine I wonder why most people even bother cleaning these species on agar.

This brings up another question I had. Once the mycelium is outside can I just keep superspawning it to more wood over and over again? Or at least a few times. You guys ever hit the senesence roof in your experience?

InvisibleMr Piggy
I'm fine.
Other User Gallery

Re: Stuntzii Habitat. Looking for tips on outdoor patch placement [Re: Psilosopherr] * 1
    #25776232 - 01/29/19 10:19 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Wood chips mixed with soil and grass seed sprinkled on top and allowed to grow.  That's the environment I've found most Stuntzii in.

I have never found woodlovers in bark mulch unless there are woodchips mixed in or underneath.  I don't even bother looking in bark mulch anymore, it's not worth it.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Stuntzii Habitat. Looking for tips on outdoor patch placement [Re: Mr Piggy]
    #25776991 - 01/29/19 05:03 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

thanks!

Forgot about that chip drop service in your sig. Might have to do that sometime, my only concern is my bridge might not accommodate the truck. You happen to know what size of trucks we're talkin?

InvisibleMr Piggy
I'm fine.
Other User Gallery

Re: Stuntzii Habitat. Looking for tips on outdoor patch placement [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #25777405 - 01/29/19 07:58 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Anything from a pickup to a large box truck.

If you fill out the form and put in the notes that your bridge can only accommodate X-big truck, that'll help weed em out.

Be aware, the average load is 6-10 yards.  That's a lot.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Stuntzii Habitat. Looking for tips on outdoor patch placement [Re: Mr Piggy]
    #25779936 - 01/30/19 09:17 PM (2 years, 30 days ago)

yeah I decided that would be way too much for the time being, maybe next year. Good to know about the truck though for sure

InvisibleMr Piggy
I'm fine.
Other User Gallery

#25780899 - 01/31/19 11:23 AM (2 years, 30 days ago)

It's not too much, dooooo it.

:hellfire:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Amazon Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification