Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
President Urges Renewal of Patriot Act
    #2576465 - 04/19/04 03:08 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

full article here

Yet another Swami "prediction" appears to be coming true. (Not that is is really difficult for anyone not blind to the "real" agenda.) Yes, I predicted that the Administration would renige on it's promise of a "temporary" time frame for the Patriot Act and do everything in their power to keep this suspension of our rights a permanent part of the fascist politcal-scape.

Washington -- Declaring the Patriot Act a vital tool in the war on terror, President Bush says Congress would place the nation at greater risk of attack if it fails to renew the law's wide-ranging law enforcement powers.

Key elements of the post-Sept. 11 law are set to expire next year and "some politicians in Washington act as if the threat to America will also expire on that schedule," Bush said Saturday in his weekly radio address.

"To abandon the Patriot Act would deprive law enforcement and intelligence officers of needed tools in the war on terror, and demonstrate willful blindness to a continuing threat."

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineThoughtcriminal
Stranger
Re: President Urges Renewal of Patriot Act [Re: Swami]
    #2577286 - 04/19/04 11:47 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Well, there's a signifigant divide among my friends regarding the Patriot Act 2. Some of of my friends think that the fascist police state will be implemented by the end of this year, my other friends think it'll be 2005.

Anyways, it's time to make preparations now. Personally, I'm going to use art as a tool, a catalyst to wake people up.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: President Urges Renewal of Patriot Act [Re: Thoughtcriminal]
    #2577300 - 04/19/04 11:52 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

In the wake of the 9/11 hearings and intelligence failures pre 9/11, some members of Congress are already advocating a domestic secret police.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #2577351 - 04/19/04 12:10 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

As the law stands, I don't like it. It needs modification. However, there are many vital aspects of it that need to renewed. For example, the sharing of intelligence between the CIA and FBI was illegal before it was passed. There are also many aspects that enable the intelligence community to better do it's job.

One of the biggest problems I see with it is the lessening of judicial oversight. I also don't agree with setting up special courts that only oversee the those who use it.

To dismiss it in its entirety because of fears of a police state I think over reactive, though understandable.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleTrueBrode
Stranger

#2577362 - 04/19/04 12:13 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

When did the administration promise that the Patriot Act would be completely dropped when it expired? Can you please provide a link supporting that statement?

Anyways, It's up to congress now- the vote to extend or not- depending on whether they believe it is a necessary act to ensure national security. Hopefully, they've actually read it this time, yet even so, that probably won't make a difference. Seeing that President Bush has aggravated the source of terror- through the continued support of brutal Arab regimes, the conquest of two Middle Eastern Countries now in debt to the U.S. and World Bank, and just recently the appeasement of Ariel Sharone and the sticky situation in Iraq- surely, the threat has, if anything, grown stronger. Now throw in the fact that the FBI is about to take a fall while claiming they need more of everything (money, power etc.), and I would be quite surprised if the bill, or at least most of it, wasn't renewed.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion