Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNorthstarFistin
Stranger
 User Gallery
Testing syringe on BRF "agar" plate *pic*
    #25761721 - 01/22/19 09:42 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

I didn't have any agar agar, so I made some ghetto brf paste plates to test some spore syringes to see how nasty they were.

Here is the result of a drop of one of the syringes:

The pic sucks, but it shows a green patch and white mycelium. My question is, is there an opportunity here to do something? Or am I asking for trouble even opening the lid on this?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDnDRnD
Hobby cultivator

Loc: Washington Flag
Re: Testing syringe on BRF "agar" plate *pic* [Re: NorthstarFistin]
    #25761736 - 01/22/19 09:52 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Ive never used straight brf paste but i would assume you could cut a chunk out and take a transfer perhaps?

--------------------
Bods Easy AF Oat Prep Tek
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24126032

Pastywhytes No Pour Agar Tek (PastyPlates)
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19208976

Shaperdreamings Shoebox Assembly Tek
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26009662

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: Testing syringe on BRF "agar" plate *pic* [Re: DnDRnD]
    #25761744 - 01/22/19 09:56 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

The pics not clear enough to see if it's all mold, or mold and myc.

Assuming it both, you could take small transfers from the areas furthest from the mold and see what you can get.

OfflineNorthstarFistin
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Testing syringe on BRF "agar" plate *pic* [Re: LtLurker]
    #25761769 - 01/22/19 10:08 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

I'm hoping it's both mold and mycelium.

Not super clear, but here's another angle.

OfflineNorthstarFistin
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25761779 - 01/22/19 10:11 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Do I have to worry about mold spores getting everywhere when opening up a mold-filled plate as you would with a contaminated jar?

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Unites States of Dreams
    #25761793 - 01/22/19 10:17 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

NorthstarFistin said:
Do I have to worry about mold spores getting everywhere when opening up a mold-filled plate as you would with a contaminated jar?

Definitely. If you detect mold, transfer as early as you can. I'd say best to start over if this was your only spore .... jar. Sorry, cannot bring myself to call it a plate because it's not.

OfflineNorthstarFistin
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Testing syringe on BRF "agar" plate *pic* [Re: denger]
    #25761853 - 01/22/19 10:45 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

It's what my esteemed colleagues and I refer to as glad mini-rounds. It's what you graduate up to from petri dishes once you gain more experience.

Thanks. Good to know transfer is possible. Now I'm curious to see what result with more samples of the same syringe.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
    #25761875 - 01/22/19 10:52 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

I don't think that's why he doesn't want to call it a plate. Plenty people get down with pasty plates. I've used them too, until moving on To real petris.

I think it's the straight up brf paste, instead of agar or at least a pf formula puck. That's new to me, doesn't sound fun to work with.

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

#25761885 - 01/22/19 10:58 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

NorthstarFistin said:
It's what my esteemed colleagues and I refer to as glad mini-rounds. It's what you graduate up to from petri dishes once you gain more experience.

Graduate? More experience? Did you bother to check my posting history?

No device so far came close to the quality, utility and clarity of a classic petri dish, and I have seen enough attempts since my first hands-on experience with them in 1987.

OfflineNorthstarFistin
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Testing syringe on BRF "agar" plate *pic* [Re: denger]
    #25761930 - 01/22/19 11:24 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

LOL. I was just messing around with that statement about mini-rounds. I was hoping it was outrageous enough to not be taken seriously. I failed.

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

#25761954 - 01/22/19 11:42 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

NorthstarFistin said:
LOL. I was just messing around with that statement about mini-rounds. I was hoping it was outrageous enough to not be taken seriously. I failed.

You never know, I have heard people defend all kinds of outrageous things here. I totally get that you might not have the money to buy a case of petri dishes and also wanted to dive into this before you can gather the ingredients for a more reliable agar recipe, so I did not criticize you on it, merely brought up a pet peeve of mine (people calling all sorts of things "dishes" and "petri's" when they are not even close).

But back to the original question and your conclusion that a transfer can be attempted. Yes, it can be. At the same time is it likely your already fruiting contaminant will spread all over your SAB and work surface and very possibly contaminate your transfer too? Very possible. If it was me I would have transferred before it got to the green fruiting stage. But perhaps a more reliable option is to repeat what you did with the original spores in several containers, and use less of the spore solution in hopes that viable mushroom spores outnumber the contamination if it's in the syringe.

OfflineNorthstarFistin
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Testing syringe on BRF "agar" plate *pic* [Re: denger] * 1
    #25761988 - 01/23/19 12:02 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

denger said:

You never know, I have heard people defend all kinds of outrageous things here. I totally get that you might not have the money to buy a case of petri dishes and also wanted to dive into this before you can gather the ingredients for a more reliable agar recipe, so I did not criticize you on it, merely brought up a pet peeve of mine (people calling all sorts of things "dishes" and "petri's" when they are not even close).

I'm with you there. I can see how misusing terminology can border on spreading misinformation.

Quote:

denger said:
But back to the original question and your conclusion that a transfer can be attempted. Yes, it can be. At the same time is it likely your already fruiting contaminant will spread all over your SAB and work surface and very possibly contaminate your transfer too? Very possible. If it was me I would have transferred before it got to the green fruiting stage. But perhaps a more reliable option is to repeat what you did with the original spores in several containers, and use less of the spore solution in hopes that viable mushroom spores outnumber the contamination if it's in the syringe.

Great. I'm going to try that strategy out with the original spores in a few containers and probably leave this sample alone. And now I can use actual agar, since I got the packets in the mail LOL. But of course, I'm sticking to my high class mini-rounds! Thanks for your help and experience!

Offlinedenger
Mycelium keeper
Male User Gallery

#25762605 - 01/23/19 09:33 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

I wish you the very best of luck getting clean culture! Keep us updated.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started