Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblewoofwoof
such mushrooms!
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elemantary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: nube424]
    #25743324 - 01/14/19 09:58 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks, i couldnt read between the lines i suppose. Thanks for clarifying

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenube424
Male

Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elemantary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: woofwoof]
    #25743327 - 01/14/19 10:01 AM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Well put it this way, 3 bricks is about enough for 3 full sized monos. U figure u'll put 5 in each mono. So 15 if u do it that way. :thumbup:

Offlinexhooliganx
Munky
Male User Gallery

Loc: reno, nevada
Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elemantary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: woofwoof]
    #25750283 - 01/17/19 08:56 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

velvetmagician1 said:
The 3 coir bricks will go with how much grain spawn? 10 quarts?

1 brick of coir is roughly 10 qts when hydrated.  So 3 to 10 quarts spawn per brick.

--------------------

Offlineqiffrox
Stranger
Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elemantary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: xhooliganx]
    #25761143 - 01/22/19 03:17 PM (5 years, 2 months ago)

omg thanks

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elemantary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: qiffrox]
    #25773985 - 01/28/19 05:28 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Damn i use way less spawn usually. 1:3 is pretty common tho. But i prefer 1:1 or 1:2, usually the latter, but i like me a fast spawn run

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Offlinerubiks.cubensis
citizen
Male

Loc: PNW
    #25794748 - 02/06/19 10:06 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Tried the BOD's Easy AF bucket tek and all seems to be going well (also trying the Easy AF shoe box method).  I have a question, though, regarding leftover pasteurized coir.  I made way too much for the two shoe boxes (probably enough left for two more)...should I toss this or can it be used later? I'm wondering if once it is pasteurized it has a short shelf life or if can be repasteurized?  Just thought I'd ask--no point in wasting it if it's useable down the road.  Thanks

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elemantary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: rubiks.cubensis]
    #25796090 - 02/06/19 08:48 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

if you keep it sealed in a bucket or cooler it will keep for a month easy without needing to adjust moisture content or re "pasteurizing" cus coir doesnt get properly pasteurized to begin with, its more of a heat treatment.  keep it covered and it keeps well.

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

OfflineEnDelfisE
Rider On The Storm
Loc: Temple of Demetra
Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elemantary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: rubiks.cubensis]
    #25796497 - 02/07/19 02:56 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I just put it in the freezer bro, in a bag :smile:

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elemantary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: EnDelfisE]
    #25796592 - 02/07/19 05:31 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I dont use wet coir after its been a while. I always see heat treated coir develop mold by about a month in. Fridge would prolly keep it good for a while.

Other people will prolly say you can use 4 month old wet coir thats just been sitting around, but that hasnt been my experience. If i wanna get past like 3 flushes, i pasteurize the annoying way with quart bottles and 160 F and everything.

Altho i noticed the myc seems to like munching the heat treated coir more, sometimes i see better spawn run growth with just hot water

I think heat treatment maybe gives a shorter window. I think pasteurization prolly cleans the water more :shrug: idk

What do you mean "coir doesnt get properly pasteurized to begin with?" With bucket tek, no, it doesnt.

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elemantary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: Fractal420]
    #25796599 - 02/07/19 05:39 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

No point in pasteurizing coir there's no microbes to shift a balance of in it. Pasteurizing coir is just like complicated less heat heat treatment

Offlineteladi
FUNKSOULBROTHER

Loc: South Africa Flag
Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elemantary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: EnDelfisE]
    #25796696 - 02/07/19 06:40 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

I got annoyed with having too much excess coir, so I created a spreadsheet for calculation which I converted to javascript.

https://mushroomteladi.github.io/calculators/shroomery/bod-coir/index.html

These factors need to be adjusted as per your coir, but are pretty standard. Gypsum density is an estimate, and final mass is calculated on substrate volume. The coir expansion factor is an estimate, and one that I could determine experimentally, but I'm too lazy to. Reduce that number based on overages. Increase based on underages.

I don't always use gypsum. I sometimes throw in 1/100th - 1/1000th of the final volume of diatomaceous earth for insect control, especially for tubs that go outside.

The desired final volume input is passed through an eval(), so it can be a calculation. For example, if I have 2 monotubs that hold 13 litres, and 12 minitubs that hold 2.6 litres. I can input 2*13+(2.6*12) as my desired volume.

Please can someone with an eye for that kind of thing check over that the figures look ok, and I haven't screwed the pooch. Does that shit make sense?

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elemantary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25796705 - 02/07/19 06:44 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:
What do you mean "coir doesnt get properly pasteurized to begin with?" With bucket tek, no, it doesnt.

thats exactly what I mean.  :super:

bucket tek is not pasteurization. coir substrates are almost exclusively bucket tek prep every time because... 
Quote:

bodhisatta said:
No point in pasteurizing coir there's no microbes to shift a balance of in it. Pasteurizing coir is just like complicated less heat heat treatment

:bonghit2:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Offlinerubiks.cubensis
citizen
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elemantary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: 13shrooms]
    #25796870 - 02/07/19 08:41 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

great stuff--thanks for the input!!!  I think I understand a bit better now pasteurized vs heat treated (easy for me to get lost in the vocabulary of all this).  the bucket process with the coir seems to be working out well--the growth in the shoeboxes looks really impressive to me so far (I'm going to post a thread with pics when I hit 48 hours later today).  Ok, thanks for the help with he coir...much appreciated

OfflineThedillestpickle
cultured
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
    #25800434 - 02/08/19 11:33 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

For what it's worth I'll add some of my experiences with coir here. 

I've tried prepper coir with just plain cold tap water and letting it soak.  That gave me mold.  So heat is important. 

I've let prepped coir sit in bucket for over 2 weeks.  found very weak looking whitish mold fluff on the top surface when I opened the bucket.  I decided to just spawn it anyways and see what happens...  Had a really good flush from that and no sign of mold.  So whatever mold it was didn't seem to proliferate well on the colonized grain and got overrun by cube myc. 

If you hydrate the coir on a dry side of field capacity it will not develop the smelly rotten eggs smell nearly as fast.  If you go too far into the wet side of field capacity it will get the smell a lot faster and will primarily come from the coir sitting in a stagnant water at the bottom of the bucket.  I have found that I still get a good flush even if the coir goes smelly from sitting too long. 

One thing I really like about using the insulated cooler bucket is it sort of caramelizes the coir and it gives off a really nice sweet smell that you don't get if just using a regular bucket.  That being said I have completely stopped using the cooler method because I prep 4 buckets of coir at a time and I don't have 4 massive coolers to use.  plus they don't stack.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

#25800603 - 02/09/19 02:36 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

doughboy72 said:
great stuff--thanks for the input!!!  I think I understand a bit better now pasteurized vs heat treated (easy for me to get lost in the vocabulary of all this).  the bucket process with the coir seems to be working out well--the growth in the shoeboxes looks really impressive to me so far (I'm going to post a thread with pics when I hit 48 hours later today).  Ok, thanks for the help with he coir...much appreciated

It works well but no one believes me that you only get about a month window and then boom contam after like 3rd flush. I am not sure Why, but if you past for an hour at 140-150 it can do flush after flush till it just gets old, but still not contammed

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineThedillestpickle
cultured
Male

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elemantary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: Fractal420]
    #25801036 - 02/09/19 09:02 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:
Quote:

doughboy72 said:

It works well but no one believes me that you only get about a month window and then boom contam after like 3rd flush. I am not sure Why, but if you past for an hour at 140-150 it can do flush after flush till it just gets old, but still not contammed

Interesting.  I never tried properly pasteurizing the coir like that, but that sounds like a lot of work to do with quart jars.  very time consuming compared to bucket tek. 

I imagine it's been covered somewhere in this thread but I wonder if BOD's method with the cooler does or does not hit at least 160 throughout the cooler for at least an hour?  My guess is it is achieving proper pasteurization.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elemantary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: Thedillestpickle]
    #25801049 - 02/09/19 09:10 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

There's no microbes in coir so pasteurization is absolutely pointless. Its just over complicated heat treatment with less heat. You may as well just cook the fuck out of it. The temp in the bucket is still above 170 after an hour. 170F is over pasteurization temps

Offlinethewiseguywithaj
Head Fungus
Male

Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elementary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: bodhisatta]
    #25819659 - 02/17/19 07:26 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

whats the ratio of spawn to coir?

Invisiblenube424
Male

Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elementary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: thewiseguywithaj]
    #25819662 - 02/17/19 07:28 PM (5 years, 1 month ago)

1:1 up to 1:4. I personally like 1:2

Offlinesmokeythecrazycat
First - timer

Re: BOD's Bucket TEK for Coir substrate (an adaptation of the elementary coir tek by Damion5050) [Re: nube424]
    #25860301 - 03/08/19 08:03 AM (5 years, 22 days ago)

First off thanks for all the threads and info, great afternoon's education.

I've got 6 BRF jars, nearly fully colonised, so looking for my next step. I've got lots of vermiculite and perlite, and can easily buy some coco coir. I've got a couple of medium sized plastic tubs/boxes like the ones that you use.

My question is, should I go some straight coco coir and mix in like you show, or should I mix in vermiculite with the coco coir and use that as a substrate?

My other question is what do you aim for with regards to humidty? I've got a hygrometer and an aquarium air pump available to keep things monitored and moving as well.

Thanks again...

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate