Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
Outlook on life...
    #2573206 - 04/18/04 06:46 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I don't really have a reason to write this. I just feel like getting my thoughts in order and trying to explain them to someone else.

It seems like I'm going nowhere with my life. I don't mean with school, a job, or any of that kind of stuff. Those things aren't necessarily important. I'm talking about finding meaning in life. When I was younger I used to beleive in God (The Bible) because my parents raised me that way. I never questioned God's existence. About the time that I started highschool, though, things weren't so clear. I realized the ignorance of devoting my life to a religion that I didn't even know. I'd never even read The Bible. I'd never tried to come to conclusions for myself. They were forced upon me by circumstance. That's one of the reasons I stopped beleiving. Another is that it just seems like the idea behind Christianity is wrong. What if I was born retarded or brain dead and couldn't think cognitively? How could I truly beleive in God then? What if I died as a child and never got the chance to beleive anything. Would I just be screwed and not go to heaven? What if I was born somewhere else where another religion was popular and I beleived in that one instead? Would I go to hell because of my parents decision on how to raise me? That doesn't seem right.

That left a big question - what's the point of living without religion? It would be the ultimate crock if we only lived for 80 years and then ceased to exist in any form. But as far as I know, that's a possibility. There's no way I can be sure about what I beleive will happen to me after I die. We could just be organisms that happened to evolve on this planet, feeding off of it until we die off or earth isn't capable of sustaining life. Maybe Hindus have it right, maybe Muslims, maybe nobody. Who knows. Even if I live a good life, it might all be for nothing in the end because I never chose to follow one of the thousands of possible choices of religions. Maybe it could be like chinacat says, where everyone and everything eventually becomes one and we achieve ultimate peace. I can't comprehend that, though. How can you comprehend it without experiencing it? I would have to be one of the very small percentage of people to ever do a thumbprint to judge for myself, whether his beleifs are correct or not. That will never happen. And it's the same with trying to study every other beleif as well. I could read The Bible from front to back and try to understand every part of it to see if it would fit me. Then I could read the Quran to see if that fits me. But that would just be like shopping for a set of beleifs. What's the point? I would never be able to study every religion/beleif system.

I'm sure you get my point. I don't know what to think. All I know is that I can't be sure of anything. I'm not depressed about that, though. Maybe I'm ignorant, but it seems like there's no reason to be depressed about it. I'll never find THE correct answer. I might find an answer that fits me, but in the end it could be wrong.

Like I said in the beggining, I don't have a reason for writing this. I just wanted to see if anyone else feels the same way. Plus it's nice to write something every now and then. Thanks for reading.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: Outlook on life... [Re: The_Hobbit]
    #2573510 - 04/18/04 12:05 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I might find an answer that fits me, but in the end it could be wrong.
How could an answer that fits you be wrong? For spiritual and philosophical inquiries, consider stopping by the S&P board. It's full of questions, curiosities, and perspectives (much like your own).

--------------------
"...yet another in a long series of diversions an attempt to avoid responsibility."

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
    #2573539 - 04/18/04 12:18 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I liked reading that. It shows you have a critical personality which will inevedibally find the right away instead of the type of person who goes with whatever they are born with and brought up to believe. Start finding out answers for yourself, read about differant religions, find your own truth, think about religion through your trips... the answer is within you, you just have to investigate it and unleash it.

Confusion is the first step to understanding.

You're life's purpose is exactly that, to create your own purpose and find out things for yourself. Most people who dont really believe in a specific religion, but do believe in something usually come to more or less the same TYPE of philosophy... so as a result of self research (both within yourself and outwards) truth will be revealed, inevidabally.

I was once like you (except for the christian heritage), and now I have my beliefs which I cant really describe and put into words thouroughly... but I have them and I'm sure I've found the truth.

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

Offlinecastaway
Isanybodyreallyhome?
Male User Gallery
    #2573580 - 04/18/04 12:35 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I like writing stuff too; and most often it's not what everyone else seems to be into, but then it is our differences that make us unique as someone pointed out to me.

I was raised in the Christian faith but questioned what I was expected to accept but have since come to the conclusion that there is something to it all but not what they give you at face value.

There is a lot of info on the web concerning spiritualism and I try searching up old texts on religious personalities such as st. Anthony, or other historical accounts of spiritual possesion such as Joan of Arc (st. Joan now). Mohammed appears to have undergone a legitamate experience of some import and altho subsequent ideology may have clouded the issue I believe Jesus did too; In fact I believe a lot of people thru the ages have been affected by something extraordinary and i don't think adherance to any one belief system has anything to do with going to hell or not. There is a lot we don't know and a lot of brandishing hell and damnation if one isn't a loyal supporter of one's home team but I guess that is natural enough 'cause I'm basicaly a Ford man and will defend the superior characteristics of the ford transmission over the chevy, but they're both conveyances that can adapt to the innovations of the other.

Spirituality has been influential in my own quest for 'reason-for-being' and I think religion fills that void in peoples lives, it fills a need. It's too bad they're always at odds with each other but I guess that's the old competitive spirit at work and the rooting for the home team, and I guess that is natural enough too.

So all in all my recomendation is not to fret about whether one religion is right and another not, but to find the similarities between them and see where some may exploit public sympathies rather than adhere to the characteristics of a core belief which has similarities with other religions no matter which one we may adopt for our own.

As for the question as to whether we existed in any form befor this life I believe we did and will so after we're gone; but as to why we're here I don't know for sure and I guess 'Why' is the big question for me...the question I'm probably not equipped to understand the answer to...so i'll just amble along and try to appreciate the sights and sounds of this wonderfull experience we call Life.

Offlinefilthysock
puresoul

Loc: Bergen, Norway
Re: Outlook on life... [Re: castaway]
    #2573651 - 04/18/04 01:10 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Good read. I have had a good deal of contact with spirits through my life looking for answers, but for a good book if you're looking for answers you might try to find the book "a course in miracles", by (believe it or not) Jesus Christ. Some person (medium or whatevr) contacted Jesus through channeling and Jesus wrote a whole book throgh the medium correcting the mistakes and misunderstandings of the bible and adding other interesting things. I've only read the article about it, but I'm defiantely getting that book. From the article I've read the book seems very believable, I dont thnk there is any bogus here...

--------------------
Magic mushrooms are not addictive, the shroomery is!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being