Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePsion
Sage
First time Penis Envy Uncut grow - hows this looking?
    #25699082 - 12/23/18 09:39 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Having (sorta) conquered my first monotub (OK FINE IT GOT TRICH ON THE THIRD FLUSH), i decided to try growing penis envy uncut for a more potent grow. i'd heard it was a slow colonizer, but id rather confirm to make sure everythings fine. I inoculated the grain jars on the first of december. i know, i know. im terrible.

after about 4-5 days i started seeing little spots of growth where i injected them...and they sorta stayed little spots. that is, they were growing, but rather slowly. i've not seen any rizomorphic growth at all, just the fluffy stuff on all my jars. after a week and a half of slowly increasing spots, from 1 grains width to about 15, i decided enough was enough and shaked em. well, for the most part. one jar the only spot of growth was actually a single grain stuck to the jar above the fill line so i had to keep tilting the rest toward it then theyd slowly fall down after a day or two. another jar fell to the floor and got another shake that way :lol:

they seem to recover fairly quickly from a shake, showing new fuzzy growth the next morning after they got shaken the night before. i took a quick whiff test of two and they smell mainly of birdseed still, with a faint whiff of... something unidentifyable. it doesn't smell sour and appley like the last batch of bacterial jars got, but i can't quite place it. i'm hoping it's just the first tiny whiffs of mycelium smell.

here's what they look like:

is everything looking ok? did i just "win" the genetic lottery with this batch? sorry for the blurry close up - my phone's not very good at it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First time Penis Envy Uncut grow - hows this looking? [Re: Psion]
    #25699171 - 12/23/18 10:42 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

"Whiff test" sounds like you just wasted a few jars. You should start with agar. You shook too early. That said if you're lucky; they're clean then they will grow. Come over to the oat side...

OfflinePsion
Sage
Re: First time Penis Envy Uncut grow - hows this looking? [Re: Failboat]
    #25700656 - 12/24/18 04:03 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

haha... i might try oats next time, or perhaps rye seed. i think there's a pet shop that sells horse stuff, though it lies outside town. might be why i never found it when i was looking to first try monotubs a couple months back. been using no cook WBS because it's easy to prepare though and doesn't smell up the house.

OfflinePsion
Sage
    #25702948 - 12/25/18 11:59 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

eh. figured that since i broke a rule, i might as well break another.  :commonsense: figured i'd take the two jars i sniff tested and spawn them since they had a risk of being contamed already anyways, and were about 85% colonized. (maybe more - this particular batch has kept digging into the grains with near invisible threads then a couple days later those grains kinda explode with mycelium like bizzare fuzzy seedlings.)

did another sniff test and they no longer smelled of grains, but healthy mycelium. :awesomenod:

mixed both with a bucket coir brick. we'll see what happens!

Offlineshroompy
StrainCollector
 User Gallery

#25703123 - 12/26/18 03:50 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

You probably want to get a couple of new jars started. Just "in case" it doesn't work

OfflinePsion
Sage
Re: First time Penis Envy Uncut grow - hows this looking? [Re: shroompy]
    #25703143 - 12/26/18 04:21 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

i still got several left, just decided i might as well use those two jars i opened already. after all, they'd already been exposed to contaminants anyways. probably.

OfflinePsion
Sage
    #25726286 - 01/06/19 12:40 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

is it ready yet? is it ready yeeeet? Q_____Q

(specifically, jars 5 and 6)

i shook jars 1-4 about 4 days ago - just to give an idea of how slow this grow has been. they're definetly showing signs of recovery, as before there wasn't even any white showing right after the shake. mainly shook them because they still had quite a bit of uneven growth. they're starting to look a lot more evenly colonized now.

also, the two jars i opened to sniff test and didn't fruit triched out. <_<; so did the jars i did fruit... they definetly weren't "ready yet." wondering if the growth is so slow because of the temp in my room... i try and keep it cozy but when im gone for work, or during the middle of the night temps tend to fall down to the low 60s to high 50s on occasion, at least on nights when outside temp falls to like 10F. hoping the closed oil system heater i ordered will help stablize the room, since it has an temperature slider beyond "fan only/low/RAWR" my ceramic coil one does. and with 10000% less RAWRING sound.

wondering if everything looks ok otherwise - i loosened the jar lids a bit for more fresh air exchange. still wondering why i haven't seen a single bit of rizomorphic growth.

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: ally known as ... Flag
    #25726313 - 01/06/19 01:01 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Ready to spawn? No! Needs to be fully colonized

Like these:

Tighten the lids back... don't want them open at all until ready to spawn... I'd be willing to bet you've got bacteria riding along... you triched out last time spawning prior to full colonization,  exposed, uncolonized grains are extremely susceptible to contamination; especially trich: especially in low fae/high humidity conditions

OfflinePsion
Sage
Re: First time Penis Envy Uncut grow - hows this looking? [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25728331 - 01/06/19 11:41 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

not sure on bacteria, but i think it might just be the cold. turned on my heater and put the timer on for a couple hours while i left for work today... and came back to the heater on and the room a toasty high 70s or so. all the jars have noticable progress from what they were this morning. i think the poor babies are just freezing :lol:

tightened the lids back up but another one caught a patch of trich on the top... i guess a loose lid is more open to contams than i thought. D: don't see anything else on the others though, so hoping they're safe. i'll avoid doing that in the future.

hoping jars 5 and 6 will be done in a few days. this waiting is killing me. @@;

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25728375 - 01/07/19 12:49 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

68-70 is good, any lower slows things down, and much higher increases the favorability of conditions for contaminants... spores are microscopic,they don't need much room to get in... colonizing grain only needs molecular gas exchange and gets plenty through the 1/4" filter in the lid

Patience is typically the first lesson the mushroom teaches you... although mushrooms are biological speed demons... try growing pot, or worse; cacti!

OfflinePsion
Sage
    #25730551 - 01/07/19 11:15 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

is it ready now? :lol:

definitely seeing improvement from warmer temps - left heater on low for the last 48 hours or so for the most part, maintaining the room at a pleasant mid 70s or so. seeing much more noticeable growth than before.

OfflineRandyFeller
EagerBeaver
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
    #25730570 - 01/07/19 11:37 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

My only experience with PEU thus far is on agar. I started MS plates at the same time as PE and Hualta. The PE and Hualta got spawned to shoe boxes on the 1st where as I'm about to do my 3rd transfer on agar of the PEU.

She's been slow as hell! Your jars look like a great accomplishment to me as far as PEU goes. :hatsoff: 

As far as if the jars are ready or not. It seems that people tend to favor letting the jars sit for another few days to a week once colonized with the PE varieties. I'm no Penis pro like some of the guy's around here, that's what I've read. Also all of my PEU plates have looked like this so far

no rhizo growth seen here yet either:shrug:

Edited by RandyFeller (01/08/19 01:14 AM)

OfflinePsion
Sage
Re: First time Penis Envy Uncut grow - hows this looking? [Re: RandyFeller]
    #25730572 - 01/07/19 11:40 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

well that's somewhat comforting to know. maybe PEU is just weird. debating on whether to bother with consolidation or not - i thought the main reason was to increase potency. which is nice, but gdi it's been 4 months and i want my shrooooooOoooms. @.@; plus  PEU is going to be more potent than previous shrooms ive grown anyways by quite a bit. with how slow it's been growing probably by a lot :rofl:

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25731017 - 01/08/19 07:31 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

No... it needs to be completely white, like these:

They look a bit bacterial and wet

OfflinePsion
Sage
    #25731890 - 01/08/19 03:25 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

i dunno... they're colonizing well with warmth, and the grains that are pressed to the glass are pretty dry looking. there's a bit of condensation in the jar though, you can see on the level above it. usually in the spots that have been colonized for a while the grains that are pressed against the glass shrink in a bit then get colonized after, at least from what i've seen.

i've had bacterial jars before, and these don't look like them yet. that said, it's multispore so bacteria is hardly out of the question. i'm more concerned about the 130830318054180510851080 trich and cobweb spores my room seems to harbor, even with a HEPA filter on my fan to try and clear the air some. D: half the time i'm worried they'll start colonizing me!

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25731923 - 01/08/19 03:44 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Problem is in your spawn, i.e. your sterile tek... or the syringe... no agar?

OfflinePsion
Sage
    #25731941 - 01/08/19 03:54 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

no agar. i have a pressure cooker and cooked these for a little over 2 hours after about 10 minutes or so venting steam. none of these triched out or anything except maaaybe bacteria. well, until i exposed a few to air, lol. had 12 jars to begin with, but broke on one accident taking them out of the pressure cooker, and another taking them to my room. <_<;;; 2 jars i spawned early to see if they'd pull though anyways (NOPE :lol:) 3 triched out, two from me doing a smell test probably, and the last from the jar lid being opened slightly. they were all fine before i tried that, and it's been over a month.

so if there's bacteria, it's from the syringe, which wouldn't surprise me... but i'm not entirely sure it is bacteria, just a cold room that hits the mid 50s a lot when my heater isn't running, due to me being at work or something. michigan is hardly a tropical paradise for shrooms in winter.  :rofl2:

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25732026 - 01/08/19 04:50 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Prepping grain too wet will cause bacteria as well

OfflinePsion
Sage
    #25736857 - 01/10/19 07:44 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

wondering if i should spawn jars 5 and 6 (second picture) now... they don't seem to be growing any more. maybe they are a bit bacterial. ;;

just got my new space heater in, so hopefully colonization for the rest of the jars will go more smoothly now. hopefully any monotubs done would colonize faster than my first failed attempt with the half finished grain :lol: preferably not with trich and cobweb. :rofl:

jars 5 and 6 are one solid mass now too. if i tilt the jar the entire thing slowly slides down, without any loose grains spilling.

if i SHOULD spawn jars 5 and 6, would it be better to do both with one coir brick in a monotub, or a jar and coir brick each in two monotubs? not sure which would be a better bet.

Edited by Psion (01/10/19 08:26 PM)

OfflineRandyFeller
EagerBeaver
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
    #25737172 - 01/10/19 10:29 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Caps McGee said:
No... it needs to be completely white, like these:

They look a bit bacterial and wet

I still agree with this post good sir..I'd give em a couple more days an see if ya get more grain coverage. Then I would spawn em to shoe boxes individually just to try and limit my losses in case 1 is bacterial. I dont know if 1qt spawn plus 2qt coir is enough for a mono or not.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder