Home | Community | Message Board

BarneysFarm.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Aquarium Heater, Autoclave, Brown Rice Flour, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinesmokeythecrazycat
First - timer

Hi everyone
    #25695223 - 12/22/18 07:21 AM (4 months, 28 days ago)

Hi everyone, just wanted to introduce myself and get some advice.

I've read through the easy AF series and watched the old school videos on youtube, and I'm nearly ready to start my adventure. I'm lucky enough to know someone (my ex) with an autoclave and I have access to sterile gloves, instruments, and basically anything sterile I want. I'm gonna make the brown rice flour and vermiculite mix in jars and sterilise the whole lot in the autoclave and maintain sterility from there on.

I haven't bought the spores yet. Any recommendations on which species to go for for a first go?

Any other advice will be appreciated as well.

I understand that there are lots of threads like this.. but I'm hoping to use this as an ongoing discussion/progress thread as well. And I'm sure there won't be many autoclave stories so that makes a bit of a difference as well.

I will post my progress in this thread over the coming weeks...

Thanks everyone.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHarry S. Shrooman
Shroominati
Male

Loc: Mushroom Kingdom
Re: Hi everyone [Re: smokeythecrazycat]
    #25695232 - 12/22/18 07:49 AM (4 months, 28 days ago)

Psilocybe Cubensis. Any strain. Penis envy can be more difficult than the rest but they all grow the same.

What’s your plans? Do you plan on fruiting cakes? Spawning to bulk? Taking your spores to agar first? A little more info will help the smarter guys lead you in the right direction and give better advice.

--------------------
Just a man with a dream and a bag of mushrooms

InvisibleJohnny Dont
500 Don'ts of Knife Safety
 User Gallery

#25695234 - 12/22/18 07:52 AM (4 months, 28 days ago)

Get p. Cubensis, any variety will do.
You said you have access to an autoclave, but I'd still recommend getting your very own pressure cooker. Make yourself a Still Air Box(SAB) and do practice runs. Get some agar and start there. Pf tek is cool, but if you'll be doing this hobby for awhile, you'll eventually get into agar work. So I'd just start there

--------------------
The sensation of the vast desert still crawled under his skin and the sound of a murmuring brook still hummed in his ears. While he though to himself, "that perhaps it had all been a dream. Perhaps he himself was just an obscure character, a stranger, in someone else's dream."

OfflineMadValley
Stranger than Most

Re: Hi everyone [Re: Johnny Dont]
    #25695659 - 12/22/18 12:29 PM (4 months, 28 days ago)

Hey, welcome from another noob. I started PF tek with GT - because they were written up as being "easy" - and PE - because they were whatever the opposite of that is. So far they've performed as described and while my GTs had 100% innoc success and 100% colonization (now 1 day short of 3 weeks) the PEs are still struggling. I got maybe 60% innoc success, but thankfully at least one hole in each jar took, and they are still at most 50% colonized. It's been educational to look at the differences and watch how the different strains grow.

Also, as is mentioned all over the place here - I used a couple of control jars. One not sterilized so I could see what contams I was dealing with and one sterilized so I could be sure that my sterilization procedure was good. I did a 2-hour steam bath and so far, so good.

Good luck with your grow.

--------------------
Go on kid, give the wheeze a squeeze.

Offlinesmokeythecrazycat
First - timer

#25695963 - 12/22/18 03:19 PM (4 months, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Harry S. Shrooman said:
Psilocybe Cubensis. Any strain. Penis envy can be more difficult than the rest but they all grow the same.

What’s your plans? Do you plan on fruiting cakes? Spawning to bulk? Taking your spores to agar first? A little more info will help the smarter guys lead you in the right direction and give better advice.

Fruiting cakes.
Quote:

Johnny Dont said:
Get p. Cubensis, any variety will do.
You said you have access to an autoclave, but I'd still recommend getting your very own pressure cooker. Make yourself a Still Air Box(SAB) and do practice runs. Get some agar and start there. Pf tek is cool, but if you'll be doing this hobby for awhile, you'll eventually get into agar work. So I'd just start there

I don't want alot, just realised I could have a go for not much money...

OfflineTheshroommeister
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Hi everyone [Re: MadValley]
    #25697360 - 12/23/18 06:19 AM (4 months, 27 days ago)

First mention of control jars I've read.

So to make sure I understand :

Jar #1 Don't do anything to it. Leave it out on a self or whatever.

Jar #2 Pressure cook it but don't inoculate

The idea being that #1 will demonstrate what a contaminated jars look like and #2 will demonstrate the success (or failure) of your pressure cook(sterilization).

Seems to me, that just doing a non inoculated sterilized jar could accomplish the same thing.

The last thing I think I'd want to do is practice growing contaminants. My fridge has plenty of those kinds of projects already. Heheheh

OfflineMadValley
Stranger than Most

Re: Hi everyone [Re: Theshroommeister]
    #25697889 - 12/23/18 12:21 PM (4 months, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Theshroommeister said:
First mention of control jars I've read.

So to make sure I understand :

Jar #1 Don't do anything to it. Leave it out on a self or whatever.

Jar #2 Pressure cook it but don't inoculate

The idea being that #1 will demonstrate what a contaminated jars look like and #2 will demonstrate the success (or failure) of your pressure cook(sterilization).

Seems to me, that just doing a non inoculated sterilized jar could accomplish the same thing.

The last thing I think I'd want to do is practice growing contaminants. My fridge has plenty of those kinds of projects already. Heheheh

Yeah, I know. But given that this was my first time I wanted to be sure I understood what was happening. The non-sterile control is to allow me to see what is actually growing in the media in my environment. This jar stays with the micropore tape in place. The sterile jar allows me to see if my steam bath was sufficient to kill whatever the fuck is growing in jar #1. If I get contam there then I screwed up the steam bath. If I get contam in my innoc jars then that's an indication that I screwed up when I inoculated and I need to refine my technique. Actually I screwed up a couple of ways but so far no contam is showing so I just got beginners luck.

That's my rational.

--------------------
Go on kid, give the wheeze a squeeze.

Offlinesmokeythecrazycat
First - timer

Re: Hi everyone [Re: MadValley]
    #25743016 - 01/14/19 07:26 AM (4 months, 5 days ago)

So I've finally got around to making my cakes in jars and covering the holes with micropore. They're gonna get autoclaved tomorrow. Should I autoclave them as is or do I need to wrap the top in aluminium foil or anything else?

Cheers guys.

InvisibleJohnny Dont
 User Gallery

#25743055 - 01/14/19 08:17 AM (4 months, 5 days ago)

Iirc the foil is to just keep water out. Autoclaves are dry heat, as opposed to pressure cooker that use steam. So I would imagine its not necessary. But I would do whatever the instructions that you are following say to do.

--------------------
The sensation of the vast desert still crawled under his skin and the sound of a murmuring brook still hummed in his ears. While he though to himself, "that perhaps it had all been a dream. Perhaps he himself was just an obscure character, a stranger, in someone else's dream."

Offlinenotdumasilook
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: NC
    #25743480 - 01/14/19 01:39 PM (4 months, 5 days ago)

Caution!!. I read in her that the microspore tape could survive the temps in my PC.... Not true... at least with the brand (3M) I used. The tape stuck fine but it melted thru right over the hole. I found also that there are 2 dif base materials used in the tape.. so its possible 1  can handle temps and other can not. I'm not familar with an autoclave or the temps it reaches so might not matter. Crossing fingers for u.
Next cook will use the  polyfill method in one central whole (3/8 inch) so I dont waste time. Good luck on your adventure. I just recently decided to to the  BRF thing and it is coming along nicely.. with inoculation on the 9th of this month I am already seeing growth of mycelium. Im a happy camper so far. Keep me posted on your grow. I'm really a rookie at this but if I can help you with my "mistakes" I'm glad to do it.

Offlinesmokeythecrazycat
First - timer

Re: Hi everyone [Re: notdumasilook]
    #25748780 - 01/17/19 06:33 AM (4 months, 2 days ago)

Autoclaves do use steam. Steam at above boiling point at high pressure. So I guess I should cover the top with foil.

Offline5deadlyvenoms
just reading
    #25752110 - 01/18/19 08:04 PM (4 months, 1 day ago)

Good luck, I am trying to absorb as much info as possible as I am new as well. Just want to get it right and keep refining and learning if possible. Glad I found this place.

Offlinesmokeythecrazycat
First - timer

Re: Hi everyone [Re: 5deadlyvenoms]
    #25811834 - 02/14/19 08:33 AM (3 months, 5 days ago)

Update:

Inoculated 4 jars with B+ 2 weeks ago, and they're starting to look good now. 3 out of 4 are doing better. It's been cold here, so the average temperature in the living room where they are is 14-20 celcius.

Inoculated another 2 jars today with Amazonas

They look a bit dry so I may inject a few mls of sterile water into 1 or 2 of them if they don't pick up speed.

The autoclave was too small for the jars to go in standing, so they went in sideways, which means they look like messy cakes, but I'm sure it will be fine once they are fully colonised.

InvisibleJohnny Dont
 User Gallery

#25811840 - 02/14/19 08:35 AM (3 months, 5 days ago)

Don't mess with the jars, they should of been good to go before you inoculated them. Adding water now is just another way for it to go wrong.

--------------------

Onlinenewtomyc
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: here there and everywhere
    #25812084 - 02/14/19 10:25 AM (3 months, 5 days ago)

I would learn Agar, if I was you. It's really not that hard, lots of great info on this site about it, and you will save a lot of time and materials.

I wish you nothing but success on your experiments!!!! Good luck!!!

Edit: best advise I received from here on Pf Tek is be patient and don't handle your jars. Leave them alone for 3weeks to a month. Handling them often can disturb verm layer and bring contamination.

--------------------
JJ

Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you.... WSP

Edited by newtomyc (02/14/19 10:28 AM)

Offlinesmokeythecrazycat
First - timer

Re: Hi everyone [Re: newtomyc]
    #25834172 - 02/24/19 10:53 AM (2 months, 26 days ago)

Update: inoculated the other 2 jars, and all 6 are looking good now. Probably a couple more weeks to fully colonize and then I can get onto the next step.

Offlinesmokeythecrazycat
First - timer

#25847071 - 03/02/19 07:17 AM (2 months, 20 days ago)

So things are going along but a bit slow. Room temperature in the living room where they are is about 15-21c (60-70f) depending on the time of day. I remembered I've got an aquarium heater and I checked and it still works. I'm gonna put a couple of jars in a water bath at 24c (75f) and see if they colonise faster. 100W heater so it can do like 90 gallons (400l) but I'm just popping em in a pyrex dish with water up to about 75% of the jar height.

InvisibleJohnny Dont
 User Gallery

#25847109 - 03/02/19 08:06 AM (2 months, 20 days ago)

Heat the room not the jars. Incubators are notorious for favoring bactria. If you can't heat the room, I'd say its better to just accept the slower colonization.

--------------------

Offlinesmokeythecrazycat
First - timer

#25847122 - 03/02/19 08:23 AM (2 months, 20 days ago)

I can't keep the room at that temperature. But it's only a few celcius warmer than they already are so it shouldn't be too warm in the jars.

Invisiblenube424
Male

#25847131 - 03/02/19 08:29 AM (2 months, 20 days ago)

Room temp is fine. If it's comfortable for u it's comfortable for ur shrooms.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Aquarium Heater, Autoclave, Brown Rice Flour, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started