Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinematt66
Loc: Connecticut
slowing down growth cycle
    #2569359 - 04/16/04 10:22 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hi there!

My second go at casing from pf style cakes. Here are some of the variables: cakes innoculated with FSR Allen print spores, colonized SLOW cause (1)they weren't in an incubator, (2)I was in no rush, and (3)there was too much water in the substrate mix and (4)I was using the old 2:1 verm to brf formula, not the 140ml to 40ml the new tek calls for). I also tapped the jars down hard, so the substrate was packed a bit tight. Damn I'm a friggin' expert!

Fully colonized after two months (mhm), still barely pinning after three months. (OK, so timing is probably a factor, but I would think that simply slowing down the process wouldn't drastically change the lifecycle, but rather that the mycelium would have time to build a very solid network). Anyway, finally cold shocked and birthed in decent terarium, room temp, plenty of misting and fanning. The one cake is doing ok. good little half inch pins that seem to be growing much slower than I remember from previous fruiting experience, but...

Now the other colonized cake I crumbled in a plastic bag. Sterilized some verm, lay down a 1/2 inch layer, misted it well, spread out the crumbles, and added another 1/2-1 inch layer of vermiculite, misted it to the specs put forth in the simple casing tek and closed up the tupperware casing container.

Now, when this cake I decided to case (which WAS fully colonized)crumbled in the bag initially, the pieces were whitish, but not that healthy bright white which by now was growing on the outer surface of the cake I birthed without casing. I still don't suspect contams, but here's what I see, almost three days into the casing attempt (sorry, no camera): a few of the chunks i buried in the top layer of verm are now resting on top of the top verm layer haphazardly.

These little chunk-balls are a brownish verm color, and when I crumble them between sterile fingers, there's some dull white inside, but mostly just compacted verm. Nothing like the bright white, fluffy tufts of mycelium that have been surrounding the intact cake, giving contours to the rounded surface and seeming to grow very healthy and fast. Since both jars were treated exactly the same throughout, I must be fucking up my casing process. How do I get that healthy looking bright white myc to start spreading like wildfire over the casing?

For the sake of argument, let's assume that I got to the birthing stage, albeit pathetically slow, with all my marbles still intact, that I've been sterile, and that temp, water/misting/fanning/humidity haven't been ideal, but have been in at least the proper range, since birthing. What do you suspect is going on? I really don't suspect a contam (smells great, no odd colors, and the little balls have very dull white, I'd say, NOT grey little clusters).

My other question, I've asked before- what is the myc supposed to grow on in a verm/water/crumbled cake mixture? Doesn't it need a nutritive element to spread? (I've seen healthy, wispy, bright white myc just take over a piece of shit virtually overnight one time at a friends' house in what I think may have resembled what the bigtimers call rhizomorphic growth, when the myc networks look like rays of light bursting from a cenral bulb (like when the colonization process inside a jar starts to really kick in), and my intuition told me, "THAT's the fucking way it's supposed to happen"- (It was the only time I've ever seen myc colonize anything other than a pf cake). So what now? I'll try a shit casing tek, but I'd like to at least understand the process better and get the basics right before moving forward.

Now what I've done just now is crumble some of the pellets even more, and "reburied" them under the top verm layer, and misted down water as specs provide. If nothing "positive" seems to happen in the next, say three to five days, what to do then? And when, oh when will this post end?

Now.

--------------------
Truth is the daughter of time, time doesn't exist...
Truth cannot exist within the human convention of time- The Goat Hath Spoken

Edited by matt66 (04/17/04 10:43 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinematt66
Loc: Connecticut
Re: slowing down growth cycle [Re: matt66]
    #2570510 - 04/17/04 10:45 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

any signs of life?.....

--------------------
Truth is the daughter of time, time doesn't exist...
Truth cannot exist within the human convention of time- The Goat Hath Spoken

Anonymous

Re: slowing down growth cycle [Re: matt66]
    #2570559 - 04/17/04 11:19 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

well, you would def. slow things down doing what you did. as for the myc. growing through the verm. it does it, just in whispy style of growth- just an extension of the mycelia network i guess. it doesn't really colonize it if that is what you're asking.
oh by the way, i'm from where you're from...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation