Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: What kind of money do pharmacists make and How much college? [Re: chinacat72]
    #2565824 - 04/15/04 08:48 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Chinacat know anything more to the tune of obtaining a degree in pharmaceutical chemistry and the following jobs one would get?

Any of those friends you know obtain a degree and end up working for a pharmaceutical company?

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin Station
Re: What kind of money do pharmacists make and How much college? [Re: d33p]
    #2565857 - 04/15/04 08:58 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

You need a PhD which requires 8 years. Biochemist's and psychopharmocolgist's all work closley together. Purdue is one of the top schools fo that whole pharmacology/neuroscience field. First you need to get a BS then work your way through grad school. If your interested I would suggest to start talking to people in the field and checking out schools. It is very important to do very well in your undergrad BS degree. You need to stand out as a very good student to get into a PhD program. I had to work my ass off to get into one. You need a very high GPA, plus research assistant experiance, plus internship experiance and any other perks that make you stand out.

If your interested go for it. The whole psychology/pharmacology/neuroscience field is exploding. The human mind is mans final frontier. :sun:

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: What kind of money do pharmacists make and How much college? [Re: chinacat72]
    #2565888 - 04/15/04 09:07 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Chinacat what do you think about University of the Sciences in Philadelphia if you know anything and how it compares with purdue?

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
Re: What kind of money do pharmacists make and How much coll [Re: bert]
    #2565903 - 04/15/04 09:16 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Bert-
You should be fine if you apply to a decent number of schools.
With a good solid GRE score, that is.

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Re: What kind of money do pharmacists make and How much college? [Re: bert]
    #2566050 - 04/15/04 10:09 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

As stated above just apply to as many schools as possible. Counsling masters are usually one of the easier graduate programs to get into becuase of the need for counslers. They realize that you'll be stoping at your masters. Plus there is alot more masters programs overall since counsling is a big part of psychology. Apply everywere you can. If you don't get accepted you can find out what you need to do to increae your chances. Alot of times you can start taking graduate level courses without being in a graduate program. If you do that and do well you'll get accepted. Also if you work or do a internship at a mental health clinic it helps.

You'll be fine, just keep at it. :thumbup: :smile:

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #2566209 - 04/15/04 11:12 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm going to talk to my advisor tomorrow and try to sign up for a lab assistant position in the fall. I need to get cracking if I want to make this happen.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

OfflineTomatadunothing
Stranger

#2566538 - 04/16/04 02:44 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Damn, Indiana has alot going for it.  Eli-Lilly is based there.  Before there was an EPA, all of downtown smelt like paint thinner.  But even with all that acid being made there, Owsley blue was the most common in southern Indiana. 

I knew Purdue had a good engineering program, but I didn't know that about their pharm program.  Oh, and go Hoosiers!  Sorry China, but with a basketball coach like Bobby Knight, how can you not like IU?  Plus, that movie cutters is cool.  Boilermakers are OK, I guess :tongue:

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Re: What kind of money do pharmacists make and How much college? [Re: Tomatadunothing]
    #2566746 - 04/16/04 06:11 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I'm no longer in Indiana. I just wanted to go to Purdue so I was there during my undergrad years. As for the Eli Lilly acid I can almost cry thinking about how they destoyed it. For those that don't know in the 50-60's the CIA contracted Eli Lilly to learn away to make LSD for their biological programs. Eli Lilly made tns of LSD crystal. Probably more then ever made in the rest of the world combined times 3. It was all destoyed years later. Pound after pound of LSD crystal destoyed.

Yes Purdue is famous for engineering and pharmacology. Some of NASA's top scientists are Purdue grads in engineering. There pharmacology department is very impressive. I went there becuase I wanted to study under Dr. Nichols who has a full research lab working on the neurophysiology of psychedelics.

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

Invisiblechinacat72
eyes of theworld
 User Gallery

Re: What kind of money do pharmacists make and How much college? [Re: bert]
    #2566752 - 04/16/04 06:21 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

bert said:
Thanks for the encouraging words.  I'm going to talk to my advisor tomorrow and try to sign up for a lab assistant position in the fall.  I need to get cracking if I want to make this happen.

Smart man. I thought you already graduated. Yes if you can get into research thats a huge bonus.HUGE!!. When I was getting into a PhD program they were more interested in our research experiance and all the other little things we did that made us stand out. I had a 3.6GPA, but my research Assistant experiance helped me just as much.

Alot of times your research will be boring becuase you'll be a assistant. You'll complille data and do statistics. Run experiments over, and over. But it pays off.
Best of luck. :smile:

--------------------
Some rise
Some fall
Some climb
To get to Terrapin!!!

OfflinePhychotron
Crazy Mofo
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In A Forest Of Colossal F...
Re: What kind of money do pharmacists make and How much coll [Re: Live406]
    #2568351 - 04/16/04 03:24 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

about a year ago when i was checking out jobs on the internet, they had quite a few openings for pharmacist at the grocery store, theier starting salary was 70k. and it got me thinking "hey, i could do that" so then i looked up how much schooling and whatnot, and it was hella expensive.

some of the pharmasist that work for hospitals have to do all the research on the pills and recomend to the dr's what to try, and basicaly do thier own studies on people. and they really have to deal with all the BS drug dealers that try to bring thier shit to the hospital...

--------------------
On a mission to prove that the truth gets you no where.
They tried the truth, It didn't work. Then they wrote the bible. 

Only the foolish fear the inevitable.

InvisiblePhencyclidine
Molecule

Re: What kind of money do pharmacists make and How much college? [Re: d33p]
    #2569182 - 04/16/04 07:28 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

d33p said:
Chinacat know anything more to the tune of obtaining a degree in pharmaceutical chemistry and the following jobs one would get?

Any of those friends you know obtain a degree and end up working for a pharmaceutical company?

I have a chemistry degree and I'm currently finishing my honours in medicinal/pharmaceutical chemistry. I'm consider going to graduate school to study pharmacology, pharmacy or toxicology.

Getting a job in pharm chem, if you had a masters, would probably get you a job for a pharm company. If you have an undergrad degree, from what I understand, most pharm chems aren't interested. For a pharmaceutical chemist there are a lot of options.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates