Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMadValley
Stranger than Most

Loc: An island in the PNW Flag
What do I do? UPDATE: They don't call them magic for nothin'
    #25687163 - 12/18/18 11:36 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Or just say screw it? This is the backstory. Update with pics a few posts below.

A few months ago - before I was aware of the Shroomery and its rich populace of people smarter than I - I stumbled across some mushrooms in the woods. They were growing along side a riding trail in a reasonably fresh horse shit.

Dope that I am, I didn't take a picture. But, when squeezed, they bruised blue. Sort of a light blue-ish grey color maybe 4 - 5 cm (+/-2") tall. The blue bruising and the "gee, these look weird" response I had  inspired me to take them home. Upon retrieval of the dung (helped by an unused dog-poo bag) I took them home and put them in the shade where they promptly withered and died.

Like I said, this was before I knew about you all and looking back I was dumb as shit.

But, stupid as I may be, I am not tidy so I still have the now dessicated horse apples.

So my question is: Is there any way to try and resurrect these things and maybe get a new flush or at least one or two I could get a spore print from? Would it be better to treat them as a colonized substrate ready to fruit or send them back in time to try and inoculate a new substrate?

Thanks!

--------------------
How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Edited by MadValley (12/20/18 11:14 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTuxedoCat
Stranger

Re: What do I do? [Re: MadValley]
    #25687194 - 12/18/18 12:10 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Hmmm...well for one you have no idea what they are and its probably a bit late for an accurate identification. Just because they bruise blue does not mean they are edible and or active.

When describing a length measurements its best to stick to one system of measurement. Even with converting metric to standard your desription is still a bit confusing. 4-5cm, plus or minus 2 inches...do you mean they were between -1 and 10cm? Im assuming not.

And im confused as to whether you harvested the poop or the fruits. My advice would be to throw whatever it is you have out and if you are serious about producing your own mushrooms then do your homework and make a serious attempt. Many people struggle even when trying to follow a tek let alone trying to "ressurect dessicated horse apples".

Good luck.

OfflineMadValley
Stranger than Most

Re: What do I do? [Re: TuxedoCat]
    #25687414 - 12/18/18 02:05 PM (2 years, 2 months ago)

That should have been 4 - 5cm (approximately 2" or a bit less to those who don't understand metric or parenthetical remarks) :rolleyes:

I grabbed it all.

These were just something that caught my eye. The blue bruising triggered a memory about that might mean something. Alas, when I plucked one of the mushrooms to take to somebody who might know better, it only lasted about 20min and then was just gone, all shriveled up. So, my dessicated horse apples still hold some interest. I'll keep them and see what I can come up with.

Thanks.

--------------------

OfflineMadValley
Stranger than Most

Re: What do I do? UPDATE: They don't call them magic for nothin' [Re: MadValley]
    #25691272 - 12/20/18 11:25 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

Okay...

My thought was that since the dessicated horse apples had already fruited that the mycellia were in place and I should treat them as ready to fruit but in this case fruit again.

I cobbled together a humdity chamber along the lines of Mateah's tek, put the tasty tidbits of equine digestion inside, and slowly rehydrated them with a water spray every few hours. By this morning... pins!

Granted, as of now I don't know if these are the same species as was growing when I snatched the poo from the woods and, as of right now the example pictured is the only Trigger-nugget which has pinned (although there are indications some of the others might soon) but sheee-it these things are tough. Hopefully they'll survive to maturity so I can impose upon you for some help identifying.

--------------------

OfflineSubfinder
Wildlife enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: What do I do? UPDATE: They don't call them magic for nothin' [Re: MadValley]
    #25691296 - 12/20/18 11:33 AM (2 years, 2 months ago)

I recognize those shrooms. I find them growing out of horse poo all the time. They are like a really small version of shaggy mane if they are the same as what I find.

Not active. You can still learn something by growing them I suppose.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation