Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOrganic_Magic
Medicine Man
Male

Loc: Everywhere
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: ShaperDreaming]
    #25672207 - 12/11/18 11:34 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

:obamafrown:

I know you said those black spots are spores and I really want to believe you buuuut.......

Ima have to wait to see how this turns out.

--------------------
:pipesmoke:Its all fun and games until mushrooms make you gay:pipesmoke:

click and learn.

Bod's simplified cultivation methods
Got side pins?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomspective
Looking into the void
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Far Far Away
    #25672271 - 12/11/18 12:05 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ShaperDreaming said:
I felt like I could wing this recipe

That's not quite how agar works..you need to base it on requirements..Potato water is fine to use, about 150g of potato boiled, or 4.5g flakes, in a little water, filtered and the made up to 500ml, but you'd only want to add about 1g of simple sugar, such as honey to that

Good luck tho:thumbup:

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Shroomspective]
    #25672373 - 12/11/18 01:00 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Organic_Magic said:

I know you said those black spots are spores and I really want to believe you buuuut.......

It was in a syringe that came like this, and the big glob shot out suddenly too quickly to do shit about it. I have a lot of syringe experience (not mycology) so I wasn't expecting it to be able to... do that:

Quote:

Shroomspective said:That's not quite how agar works..you need to base it on requirements..Potato water is fine to use, about 150g of potato boiled, or 4.5g flakes, in a little water, filtered and the made up to 500ml, but you'd only want to add about 1g of simple sugar, such as honey to that

Thanks! I think it's doing the trick for now. Also, this is why I only poured 5 plates :wink: The recipe I looked at seemed equivalent to this, but called for corn syrup, and this was best I could do in the moment.

Just looking to isolate a solid strain of PE so I can move it over to grains. I know these guys are slow in a lot of ways, so I thought science would get me there.

Edited by ShaperDreaming (12/11/18 01:03 PM)

Offlineyamo25000
Fish Dinner

Loc: Northern East Coast, USA
    #25672494 - 12/11/18 02:11 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I have a few questions about agar. I've read lots of teks and I've worked with it a bit myself, but I feel like I may be doing things wrong.

I've never had a petri dish be successful. Every time it gets bacteria or mold. I prepared PDA, pc'd it, and poured it in a SAB, but I didn't wrap them after pouring them, and would often shake them to get moisture off the lid. Could that have been my issue?

Another question regarding the sterilization of agar: If it's possible to sterilize glass petri dishes, is it not possible to sterilize pre-poured plates in glass petri dishes? I've seen a tek that shows how to sterilize the glass dish, but only before agar is poured onto it.

When people use petri dishes for agar, is it common practice to wrap them in plastic, or put them in baggies to eliminate airflow?

--------------------
"If I am my foot, I am the sun." -Alan Watts

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Loc: ally known as ... Flag
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: yamo25000]
    #25672513 - 12/11/18 02:18 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ShaperDreaming said:
Quote:

Organic_Magic said:

It was in a syringe that came like this, and the big glob shot out suddenly too quickly to do shit about it. I have a lot of syringe experience (not mycology) so I wasn't expecting it to be able to... do that:

Quote:

Shroomspective said:That's not quite how agar works..you need to base it on requirements..Potato water is fine to use, about 150g of potato boiled, or 4.5g flakes, in a little water, filtered and the made up to 500ml, but you'd only want to add about 1g of simple sugar, such as honey to that

Thanks! I think it's doing the trick for now. Also, this is why I only poured 5 plates :wink: The recipe I looked at seemed equivalent to this, but called for corn syrup, and this was best I could do in the moment.

Just looking to isolate a solid strain of PE so I can move it over to grains. I know these guys are slow in a lot of ways, so I thought science would get me there.

Always shake your syringe well before flame sterilizing...
Quote:

yamo25000 said:
I have a few questions about agar. I've read lots of teks and I've worked with it a bit myself, but I feel like I may be doing things wrong.

I've never had a petri dish be successful. Every time it gets bacteria or mold. I prepared PDA, pc'd it, and poured it in a SAB, but I didn't wrap them after pouring them, and would often shake them to get moisture off the lid. Could that have been my issue?

Another question regarding the sterilization of agar: If it's possible to sterilize glass petri dishes, is it not possible to sterilize pre-poured plates in glass petri dishes? I've seen a tek that shows how to sterilize the glass dish, but only before agar is poured onto it.

When people use petri dishes for agar, is it common practice to wrap them in plastic, or put them in baggies to eliminate airflow?

Not a possibility, a high probability that that's your issue... I'm sure you could pour then sterilize, just allow them to cool(solidify) overnight... also, wanna wrap stacks of dishes well in tinfoil, so you can get them from pc to SAB without comtaminating... I cut saran wrap into inch thick rolls and wrap dishes that way... I keep them in 12/12 lighting on a closet shelf... not trying to eliminate air flow, as saran wrap is permeable and allows molecular gas exchange... just keeps out the nasties

Offlineyamo25000
Fish Dinner

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25672532 - 12/11/18 02:28 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the quick answer! In that case I'll definitely try again with petri dishes, and this time I'll wrap them :grin:

--------------------

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Caps McGee]
    #25672553 - 12/11/18 02:38 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Caps McGee said:
Always shake your syringe well before flame sterilizing...

I did... not going to mention where they came from, but reports all indicate that this type of "black spore glob" is common from this vendor. :frown: I guess I'll see what grows.

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#25672555 - 12/11/18 02:39 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

:goodluck:

InvisibleJohnny Dont
500 Don'ts of Knife Safety

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: yamo25000] * 1
    #25672573 - 12/11/18 02:46 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I let my plates cool and set in my SAB before wrapping with plastic wrap. I don't shake them, as I'm sure rough handling or holding them by anything other than the rim would create air to flow in and out of them

Also with the glass perti dishes, I would think that if you poured the agar before the PC cycle, that the agar would boil out. But I've never tried it so :shrug:

--------------------
I have left life and loves behind me, to be blown about as the sea desires, to have the freedom of the open air, and to be witness to the making of the world.

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Johnny Dont]
    #25672591 - 12/11/18 02:55 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Give it a shot and let us know!

Offlinekerberus
 User Gallery

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Mike O.Rrhizal]
    #25672816 - 12/11/18 04:38 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Mike O.Rrhizal said:

Heres some of my first B+ transfers. Ive got some that look good but these plates had a lot of condensation that has settled on the edge. Can I use these on grain or do you think they will contaminate?

What is the white spot at 8oclock in this pic? The first looks good. Condensation that ends up on the agar can move contaminants around your plate but if the plates and culture are clean it shouldn't be a problem.

OfflineMike O.Rrhizal
Tree
I'm a teapot

Loc: Native Soil Flag
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: kerberus]
    #25672906 - 12/11/18 05:15 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

The mycelium looked healthy I was just worried because it changed colour when it touched the condensation at the end. The spot at 8oclock is just part of the lid, nothing on the plate there.

I ended up using it anyway because I didn't have enough ready plates. So far its bounced back well.

--------------------

Offlinezxcv101
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: SW
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Mike O.Rrhizal]
    #25673055 - 12/11/18 06:32 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I've been playing with agar about a month. I'm trying to isolate some different Pan prints I got. Most of these dishes are on there 4th or 5th transfer. I threw away most of the contaminated ones. I also was testing my shiitake LC.

Offlineyamo25000
Fish Dinner

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: zxcv101]
    #25673860 - 12/12/18 07:33 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I will test out multiple methods and let you guys know the results.

--------------------

InvisibleTXBD
StrangerthanFiction

Loc: Tejas
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: yamo25000]
    #25678882 - 12/14/18 12:15 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

My first clone. From a 2 headed mutant. It's rather spikey! #rebelyell

APE progression

Some AA+ action

:rabble:

--------------------
I overdo everything and nothing at the same time. Every time, All the time, and some times too.. :bigjoint:

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: TXBD]
    #25678949 - 12/14/18 12:39 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Uh... so anyone looking for media bottles at a stupid cheap price, the 500ml ones from Cadamada are only $15 for 3 at amazon right now!

OfflineDuhrwood Stevens
Gauche Chemoorganoheterotroph
Male

Loc: Allupin Sideya
    #25678991 - 12/14/18 01:06 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks man!!! :hi5:
I'd been looking on ebay @ $8.10 each.

--------------------
Last seen 12/2/2020

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Duhrwood Stevens]
    #25679016 - 12/14/18 01:21 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Duhrwood Stevens said:
Thanks man!!! :hi5:
I'd been looking on ebay @ $8.10 each.

Yeah, just bought one for $11 last week and thought that was a steal, but I guess things get better! Jumped on these as backups because... who can have too many media bottles?!

They also have 2 1000ml media jars for $15 and a set of 4 100ml bottles for $12... it was hard not to just throw money at them.

Offlinemushroomnate
Pstranger
 User Gallery

#25679020 - 12/14/18 01:23 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ShaperDreaming said:
Uh... so anyone looking for media bottles at a stupid cheap price, the 500ml ones from Cadamada are only $15 for 3 at amazon right now!

Thanks!
I was just looking for a couple of these.:super:

--------------------

BRF to bulk/Cakes as spawn

InvisibleTXBD
StrangerthanFiction

Loc: Tejas
    #25679052 - 12/14/18 01:36 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ShaperDreaming said:

Yoink! :thumbup:

--------------------
I overdo everything and nothing at the same time. Every time, All the time, and some times too.. :bigjoint:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale