Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
The Madness of President George
    #2567292 - 04/16/04 12:27 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

THE MADNESS OF PRESIDENT GEORGE
by Llewellyn H. Rockwell, Jr. - April 16, 2004

Bush should hold more press conferences, to provide us with ever more windows into the mind of one of the most dangerous men ever to occupy the White House.

Why must we watch? We don't want to end up like pathetic George ? blind to reality, muttering clich?s, oblivious to the wreckage and evil for which he is responsible. We need to know the truth, and the truth that this man is dangerous came out in spades in his press conference.

Why is he dangerous? He is willfully ignorant of what is going on in Iraq but cocksure that not only is he doing the right thing, but that God is blessing and directing his every decision, even to the point that he imagines himself to be infallible (or, rather, if he is not infallible, he cannot generate any evidence of fallibility when asked).

Why is he one of the most dangerous? Because he autocratically heads the most powerful and well-armed state in the history of the world. He not only has his finger on the button. He has access to many thousands of weapons of mass destruction, and has shown himself to be willing to use them against anyone he regards as a foe. By comparison to his predecessor in the White House, Bush is alarming, the kind of president who seems capable of blowing up the world and calling it good.

(I know that articles like this are supposed to be dispassionate in order to be more persuasive. I am supposed to recite the facts without rhetoric to provide a kind of slowly burning buildup in order to convert those who think George is nothing but a godly man heading the free world?s efforts to protect itself against barbaric enemies. But the situation in which we live is so desperate, it seems to call forth more frank talk. People who are still defending George don't need patient argument; they need shock therapy.)

If you doubt that what I say here is true, see the transcript. In much of what he says, he gets the truth exactly backwards in ways that anyone who reads the news can discern. He admits (for the first time?) that the US is militarily occupying Iraq but claims that those who resist are rejecting "freedom" and "self government." This is like the rapist giving sermons on the need to respect the physical integrity and dignity of his victims.

The occupier who announces to the people through a bullhorn "Submit or Die!" has some chutzpah claiming to be a liberator. This is beyond Orwell. It's evil, crazy, or both. The general who said this ought to have his stars ripped off. The president who ignores this ought to be impeached. The politicians who are ablaze in the face of it ought to be voted out of office. Websites that reviewed that speech the way they review a movie or play (yes, that's you NRO) ought to suffer everlasting disgrace.

We must first deal with the problem that George seems genuinely mad. There was a riddle in nearly every sentence. He spoke like someone dramatically out of touch with what everyone else knows. The whole scene was a bit wacky, as if the uncle who everyone knows is crazy came to the family reunion and was humored because he is family. People were going easy on George just because he seemed like he was speaking about another planet.

Now, here we have a "war" that has proven to be a complete calamity in every conceivable way. The blood and violence are ghastly. It started as a war for democracy and American values and it is ending in body bags, a radicalized population, hundreds of billions wasted, and an emboldened horde of terrorists from all countries. The original rationales for the war are proven hoaxes. The soldiers hate it. The Iraqis hate the soldiers. US trained Iraqis are AWOL. We are talking here about a war disaster of historic proportions, even for the aggressor state.

The press, though, seemed somehow reluctant to point this out, as if George had his finger on a button he could push that would blow them all up. Instead, the press, very gingerly, put him on the couch. What mistakes had he made? Are there things he would do differently? Just asking, George. Not hinting at a thing. Don't take this wrong. Just a normal sort of question every president is asked. Do you think there have been any judgment errors at all? Everyone makes mistakes, you know; nothing to be ashamed of.

Nope, said George, nothing he can think of. It was almost cartoonish. But in real life, it is extremely scary. The press was evidently confused by the whole scene, their eyes darting back and forth to each other in bemusement. The efforts to report on the event the next day were similarly strained. The headlines could have run: "President Bush Has Gone Off the Rails." But since press etiquette demands he be treated with great deference, the stories were all variations of: "George Bush today pledged to continue the offensive in Iraq, while denying his administration has made errors in judgment?"

George isn't the first and certainly won?t be the last crazy president. Power tends to do this to people. The sin of mass murder also does it. It makes them callous, nuts, dangerous. The answer is not to replace him with Kerry, or Clinton, or Carter, or some other person who seems more peaceful in some way. Bush also seemed rather peaceful during the election.

The urgent moral priority of our time is to dismantle the warfare state, disarm the nukes, roll back the empire from every corner of the globe. We want to live in a country even a crazy man can head and not have it be dangerous for us or the world. If George or his successors want to play violent games, someone could just bring them a set of plastic army men and they could have at it all day in the West Wing. Let them live out their fantasies of death and dominion with toys rather than the real world.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
The Madness of Lew Rockwell [Re: Evolving]
    #2568362 - 04/16/04 05:27 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Dang. I've heard of this Lew Rockwell guy, and I've followed various links posted here to some of his articles. But if this is a representative example of his usual work, I'm sure not going to drop by his site any more often than I have to.

There's just so much weirdness in this piece I am unsure I have time to point it all out before the next power failure hits my humble abode. But I'll at least make a start:

He has access to many thousands of weapons of mass destruction, and has shown himself to be willing to use them against anyone he regards as a foe.

He has? When has Bush used a nuclear, biological, or chemical weapon? Upon whom? When has he "shown himself willing" to use them against anyone?

He admits (for the first time?) that the US is militarily occupying Iraq but claims that those who resist are rejecting "freedom" and "self government." This is like the rapist giving sermons on the need to respect the physical integrity and dignity of his victims.

Umm... no, it's not. The US troops aren't raping Iraq, they are providing those Iraqis who desire a better form of government than they have had to date the breathing room to create a constitution, organize political parties, repair infrastructure, and more. Does Lew believe it was better for all the troops to have left on April 30, 2003?

The occupier who announces to the people through a bullhorn "Submit or Die!" has some chutzpah claiming to be a liberator.

What in the world is this loony old coot yammering about? Does he actually oppose the concept of surrender?

This is beyond Orwell. It's evil, crazy, or both. The general who said this ought to have his stars ripped off. The president who ignores this ought to be impeached. The politicians who are ablaze in the face of it ought to be voted out of office.

I'm speechless. What a tempest in a teapot. First of all, the General he refers isn't a General, he is a Lt. Colonel. Secondly, he didn't ride around in a Bradley through Fallujah shouting "submit or die" through a bullhorn. He said to reporters at a press conference, "Given the virulent nature of the enemy, the prospect of some city father walking in and getting Joe Jihadi to give himself up is pretty slim ? That?s fine, because they?ll get whipped up, come out fighting again and get mowed down ... Their only choices are to submit or die.? Thirdly, even if he were to make such an announcement to combatants, it is at least the kind of rhetoric they understand.

We must first deal with the problem that George seems genuinely mad.

Well, Lew... that's not my take on Bush, but I'm certainly not going to be standing anywhere near you if there are sharp objects in the same room.

Now, here we have a "war" that has proven to be a complete calamity in every conceivable way.

"Proven"? Uh huh.

The blood and violence are ghastly.

Well, duh! And which "non-calamitous" war lacked ghastly blood and violence, Lew?

It started as a war for democracy and American values and it is ending in body bags...

And this is different from any other war exactly how?

... a radicalized population...

If by this he means not all Iraqis were thrilled to see Hussein deposed, he should remember that not all Germans were happy to see Hitler deposed. How is this a "complete calamity"? Clearly Lew hasn't bothered to read many (maybe not even any) of the Iraqi blogs springing up in the wake of Hussein's deposition.

...hundreds of billions wasted...

And this is different from any other war exactly how?

... and an emboldened horde of terrorists from all countries.

Who are getting mowed down at a much more rapid rate than they could accomplish on their own through blowing themselves up on schoolbuses.

The original rationales for the war are proven hoaxes.

"Proven hoaxes"? Bullshit.

The soldiers hate it.

Some do, yes.

The Iraqis hate the soldiers.

Some do, yes. More love them.

US trained Iraqis are AWOL.

Some are, yes.

We are talking here about a war disaster of historic proportions...

"Historic proportions"? Oh, please. Not even close. Take a reality pill, Lew.

...even for the aggressor state.

The aggressor state ceased to exist over a year ago, Lew. The head of that state is now scratching marks on the wall of his jail cell to keep track of the days.

Instead, the press, very gingerly, put him on the couch.

What kind of Bizarro world are you living in, dude? There was nothing "gingerly" about the questions asked during that press conference.

The sin of mass murder also does it.

"Mass murder"? Sorry, Lew, it's you who are off the rails here.

The urgent moral priority of our time is to dismantle the warfare state, disarm the nukes...

Just America's nukes, Lew?

... roll back the empire from every corner of the globe.

Ummm, what empire might that be? Would it be enough if the US were to give Hawaii back to whoever it was the US got it from in the first place? Sell Alaska back to the Russians? Ask France if they'd be willing to buy back Louisianna at an excellent price?

We want to live in a country even a crazy man can head and not have it be dangerous for us or the world.

If that's your goal, Lew, you might want to move to France.

I find it ironic that I've come straight from a thread claiming Ann Coulter is a nut case to this over the top example of bombast. At least Ann normally gets her facts straight. Methinks Lew's rant against insanity illustrates quite nicely the phenomenon psychologists label "projection". I can honestly say I have seen more reasoned discourse and less hyperbole in the majority of the (admittedly few) Ann Coulter columns I've bothered to read, and that's really saying something. It's tragic to witness the degeneration of what was once reputed to be a fine mind.

pinky

--------------------

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park, Space Hunter

Re: The Madness of Lew Rockwell [Re: Phred]
    #2569011 - 04/16/04 08:16 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

You're just mad cause he said you need shock therapy. Haw haw.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Re: The Madness of President George [Re: Evolving]
    #2573270 - 04/18/04 08:08 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

After reading articles like this one and yours, I reckon he'd be a candidate for psychopathy

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #2573317 - 04/18/04 09:28 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Who saw the buffoon stumbling over his answers? It was totally cringe worthy. Im just glad that no one with that level of intelligence would ever be able to become prime minister in the UK. Blair may be an evil, lying piece of shit but at least he is intelligent. You can almost see the strings on George.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
    #2573756 - 04/18/04 01:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Shows what enough money will buy from an Ivy league shit mill.
My 11 year old daughter hears him speak and asks me if he is "retarted". I have to answer honestly and say I am not sure if that is it or if he is incredibly inarticulate(my daughter knows what inarticulate means, I wonder if george does?)
To all continuing in the defense of this American nepotistic despot, I submit that self delusion will not improve the performance of the greatest embarassment to the philosophy of democracy and this democratic republic in it's history. Continuing to believe the lies and be blinded by callous obfusications will lead this once great nation down a irreversable slope tword Fascism and the Corporate state.
Sig Heil Halliburton!
Are you with them or against them?
WR :rasta:

--------------------
To old for this place

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion