Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineglobejs
lollygagger
 User Gallery

My microscope showed up! * 1
    #25668118 - 12/09/18 02:40 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

My nikon alphaphot 2 scope showed up yesterday! The slides, cover slips, and immersion oil I ordered all showed up too so I got to play around right away.

I got a big bonus with the scope too, a phase contrast condenser! Looking up other nikon phase contrast condensers online is crazy. Someone is selling this exact one on eBay for $379

Now to find a reticle and calibration slide!

--------------------

NEWT TESTED, NEWT APPROVED.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Trusted Identifier
Re: My microscope showed up! [Re: globejs]
    #25668341 - 12/09/18 04:42 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Looks nice.

If you need a tutorial there's one floating around somewhere. Let me know.

--------------------

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #25668358 - 12/09/18 04:51 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Looks like someone will be busy playing with their new toy, I hope it brings you lots of enjoyment.

I love having a microscope, there is so much to look at, whether it's mushrooms, bugs or biological fluids.

It can be used without a power source by using a mirror or flashlight. If the specimens are really dense,  such as a rock, you can use a flashlight to illuminate the surface and use it like a stereoscope, just be careful to not touch the objective to whatever you're looking at. I'm excited for you and look forward to seeing some micrographs through the eye piece.

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Offlineglobejs
lollygagger
 User Gallery

Re: My microscope showed up! [Re: Doc9151]
    #25669587 - 12/10/18 09:07 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

A tutorial would be very helpful! I've already been checking out my hair, my pets hairs, and some spores and a "tooth" from a hedgehog mushroom I found. The phase contrast setting definitely makes for better viewing. Objective progression on a the piece of hedgehog "tooth". Saw my first basidium!

--------------------

Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #25670646 - 12/10/18 05:01 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Good start!

I'm having trouble uploading to here. If you have facebook then you might be able to use this link>>>Microscopy tutorial

--------------------

OfflineAnglerfishM
hearing things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Norvegr Flag
Trusted Identifier
Re: My microscope showed up! [Re: karode13]
    #25671302 - 12/11/18 12:39 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

karode13 said:
you might be able to use this link>>>Microscopy tutorial

This link appears to be dead, and has been so for years I believe. Too bad, it was a good tutorial.

--------------------

Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: My microscope showed up! [Re: Anglerfish]
    #25671602 - 12/11/18 06:19 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I thought that might happen as it's uploaded in a private group. I'll put it on the list of things to do as I'm about to sleep.

We should have it uploaded here. Alan has it, maybe he is able to post it.

--------------------

OfflineAnglerfishM
hearing things
Male User Gallery

Loc: Norvegr Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #25671678 - 12/11/18 07:12 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

karode13 said:
I thought that might happen as it's uploaded in a private group. I'll put it on the list of things to do as I'm about to sleep.

We should have it uploaded here. Alan has it, maybe he is able to post it.

I don't think the guide is available anywhere online, and the user who originally posted it hasn't been around for over three years.

This one should be helpful enough, though:

https://www.mushroomexpert.com/microscope.html

--------------------

Edited by Anglerfish (12/11/18 07:19 AM)

Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: My microscope showed up! [Re: Anglerfish]
    #25672676 - 12/11/18 03:42 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

We have a pdf version ripped from the web. I'll get onto it as I'm now awake.:goodmorning:

--------------------

Offlineglobejs
lollygagger
 User Gallery

#25673131 - 12/11/18 07:20 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Is there any way to differentiate different types of mycellium under a microscope? I'm hoping it's agarikon, but it could be a couple different things based on what I've collected cultures from. It's looking like this after about 2 weeks. Soft leading edges, near the inoculation point there are tiny, slightly whiter dots of mycellium evenly spaced.
Maybe I should take a piece out and do a smell/ taste test. Not sure how much different mycellium resembles the scent and flavor of its fruiting body, but I know cubes are nearly identical. I know what agarikon tastes and smells like. One of the cleanest, medicinal, potent fungi scents I've experienced.

--------------------

Offlineglobejs
lollygagger
 User Gallery

#25673183 - 12/11/18 07:46 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Also is there any discernable characteristics of cubensis spores and psilocybe cyanescens that could be used to distinguish the two from eachother? I have 30 prints. Putting them all together in a move was not my finest moment nor was forgetting to use any indicating marking or label. Possibly the overall size of the print or density could help me separate some of them apart

--------------------

OfflineDoc9151M
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gulf Coast USA Flag
Trusted Identifier
    #25675360 - 12/12/18 07:04 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

You have to look at more than just the spores when using microtaxonomy to help you identify your mushrooms, it is a combination of macro and microscopic characteristics. Type, shape and size of basidia, cystidia, as well as the type of cystidia that is or isn't present, their color, fluid contents if any and its color.

This is just a small piece of the puzzle,  start with learning how to identify the taxonomic structures, making quality slides and taking measurements, then move on to the next level.

Take your time, it's easy to become overwhelmed with information, look at as many species as possible and read the descriptions of each one, taking the time to look at it under the microscope and finding each structure in the description.  This can be a very rewarding hobby, to me anything learned is a valuable asset  and mycology will definitely provide a lifetime of learning.

Wishing you the best,

Doc

--------------------

Psilocybe cubensis data collection thread. please help with this project if you hunt wild cubensis.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=26513593&page=0&vc=1#26513593

Offlineglobejs
lollygagger
 User Gallery

Re: My microscope showed up! [Re: Doc9151]
    #25675818 - 12/12/18 11:08 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Oh Yes I plan to use this as a tool  for identifying specimens I find out foraging, but the situations I have before me are that I have an "unlabeled slant and 30 spore prints of 2 mushroom species.

I wasn't sure if the two species I mentioned in my earlier post had characteristics that were not shared between the two species at the spore level in order to tell them apart as growing out each print to produce fruits to identify would be quite a long and laborious process, but maybe that's all I can do

Thanks for your help!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate