Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 717 | 718 | 719 | 720 | 721 | 722 | 723 | 724 | 725 | 726 | 727 | 728 | 729 | 730 | 731 | 732 | 733 | 734 | 735 | 736 | 737 | Next > | Last >
InvisibleDoctor Mario
🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄
Male Unread Journal

Loc: 🇺🇸
Trusted Cultivator
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: TheTimelessDon]
    #27779490 - 05/15/22 10:16 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

No need to add a bunch of colors. Just use black food coloring.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27173622#27173622

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSnarky
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Doctor Mario]
    #27779542 - 05/15/22 10:49 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

How long can agar w/ mycelium stay in the fridge? I'm new to this in general, and haven't done agar yet but am dying to get started. I have everything ready to go for the Josex no-pour tek and wanted to get some good clean plates ready to go now - I've got about 5 weeks to work with and then am gone out of town for ~2 weeks. So if I start messing around with some spore syringes and agar now, and get a couple transfers in, can I save those plates in the fridge for a couple weeks and then put them to grain when I come back?

OfflineDendrocopos
Latin woodpecker
I'm a teapot

Loc: Chained in RR's cellar
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Doctor Mario]
    #27779736 - 05/16/22 01:50 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doctor Mario said:
I used to wait around 10 days before using new plates. Mold usually becomes noticeable around day 3 or 4 but bacteria will sometimes go pretty slow. If they look clean in 10 days, they're probably good.

I'm really liking this green.

Now this is a man of character i can respect. A lot of people hate on green agar, but they are the pwettiest and i pour them too. Big up.

OfflineDERRAYLD
Constructus
Male User Gallery
Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: TheTimelessDon]
    #27779742 - 05/16/22 01:56 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TheTimelessDon said:
Does anyone?  (Or why doesn't everyone?)  Add all the colors of food coloring to make it as dark as possible, if not black almost?  I hear - screw activated carbon - but the black look so cool.  So could we just combine all the roy g biv colors from a food coloring pack and shoot for black MEA?  I haven't started using food coloring at all yet, so maybe the answer is simple, but what issues could arise?

You get black food coloring as well.

InvisibleGuerrilla
Bumbaclart

Loc: United Kingdom
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: DERRAYLD]
    #27779838 - 05/16/22 05:32 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

When using sterile water to dip spore swabs before use, are you doing 1 swab per sterilised jar of water?

--------------------
Being pissed on does not make you a real man.

InvisibleQM33
(NOT A PUPPET!) ❤❤❤❤❤
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Guerrilla]
    #27779840 - 05/16/22 05:35 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Unless your trying to cross. If you go to dip another after the first in the same, the spores from the prior will be in the later.

InvisibleGuerrilla
Bumbaclart

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: QM33]
    #27779842 - 05/16/22 05:37 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Doh. Why didn't I think of that lol. Thanks.

How about 2 swabs of the same variety? Am I increasing the chance of bacteria on the 2nd swab dip? Yes seems like the obvious answer, my question is more if it's so significant it will cause issues.

--------------------

Edited by Guerrilla (05/16/22 05:38 AM)

InvisibleQM33
(NOT A PUPPET!) ❤❤❤❤❤

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Guerrilla] * 1
    #27779848 - 05/16/22 05:45 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Well I mean your going to clean up your plates most likely anyway.
Also have you seen all the pics of full swabs on plates with nearly just a couple seconds of growth. Depends on how dirty the swabs are basically.

OfflineTheTimelessDon
The Don

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: DERRAYLD] * 1
    #27779862 - 05/16/22 06:02 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

WOW!  I couldn't have laughed harder just now.  Black food coloring!!  I've used it before and for some reason the thought didn't even cross my mind.  lololol  Thanks again!

InvisibleGoatrider
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Loc: Germany
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Snarky]
    #27779883 - 05/16/22 06:43 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Snarky said:
How long can agar w/ mycelium stay in the fridge? I'm new to this in general, and haven't done agar yet but am dying to get started. I have everything ready to go for the Josex no-pour tek and wanted to get some good clean plates ready to go now - I've got about 5 weeks to work with and then am gone out of town for ~2 weeks. So if I start messing around with some spore syringes and agar now, and get a couple transfers in, can I save those plates in the fridge for a couple weeks and then put them to grain when I come back?

The fridge isn´t the best place for sterile mycology equipment,
but yeah it works.
Plates wrapped and placed in a ziploc or at its best in an insulated lunchbox and done.

:cookiemonster:

--------------------

InvisibleQM33
(NOT A PUPPET!) ❤❤❤❤❤

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Goatrider]
    #27779888 - 05/16/22 06:50 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

A refrigerator is necessary to drop the temperature below what's required to colonize, allowing you to store it.

The moment your petri dish leaves your flow, or your SAB, it should be considered just as dirty as if it were in the fridge, outside or a a dead show. You always iso it before use, so it really doesn't matter where you store them after they are inoculated and wrapped

Storing after pouring is different. I prefer the sleeves they came in, ziplocks also work, I like p9s method of wrapping a whole stack as well, when I did togocup agar I always used ziplocks and taped the lock.

Also no need to refrigerate inoculated agar as there is nothing alive to slow the growth of down, and the storage container be it a sleeve, ziplock or Saran wrap, should keep all the moisture in, that's one thing to consider depending on how you store them. And obviously make sure they are agar down so if any condensation occurs it can fall back down to the agar and be reabsorbed.

--------------------
OmManiPadmeHum,OmManiPadmeHum, OmManiPadMeHum...
There are known knowns, there are known unknowns,
          there are also unknown unknowns.
With great privilege comes great responsibility.

Quantom Qups PROOF AND Soft Drops
Turn your Swab to a Syringe and Syringe to Multiple Syringes!
No Pours (QuantomStyal)
Magic Fruit Leather
DMT for IandI

InvisibleGuerrilla
Bumbaclart

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: QM33]
    #27779974 - 05/16/22 08:40 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

QM33 said:
Well I mean your going to clean up your plates most likely anyway.
Also have you seen all the pics of full swabs on plates with nearly just a couple seconds of growth. Depends on how dirty the swabs are basically.

Ya you're right man. I'm just trying to rebuild my knowledge on this hobby from scratch again and being a bit too fussy in the process.

-----------

Anyone care to share their recommended agar recipe for spore germination?

Just came across this. I know some people use lower nutes but I've personally never experienced with it. Always been a 10g agar 10g LME 1g yeast guy. What do you think? The agar sounds good to me on the germ recipe but still considering 10g LME and 1g yeast.

"Standard recipe
500ml water,
10g agar,
6g lme,

Germination recipe
500ml water
7g agar
6g lme"

--------------------

Edited by Guerrilla (05/16/22 08:49 AM)

OfflineSkydoggy
The Mystic
Male

Loc: Third rock from the sun.
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Guerrilla]
    #27780090 - 05/16/22 10:56 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Hi everyone,

I’m slowly learning how to grow myc on agar but it’s taking a while. Some of the challenges have been condensation when pouring plates, nothing growing with know good spores and contamination.

I am using a SAB and watched some of the videos posted here in SAB techniques and tried to be as sterile as possible.

As to plates I am  using Bod’s tek and using dextrose as a nutrient.

I know that nothing replaces good sterile techniques but is is possible to add something to the agar mix that suppress the green contamination I have been getting.

I have been at this for several months with little to show for my efforts.

Thanks everyone.

Offlinewild_aussie
Punk rocker til I die

Loc: Skatepark grinding hard
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato]
    #27780204 - 05/16/22 12:22 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Green is where it is ya.  Anyways so hopefully this pic is better for you all to help.  Which spots look best for transfer going for 2 at least and think I should tiger drop.

Also I dropped this piece of blue meanie on agar is this what it is supposed to look like?

My first agar was blue but I likey the green

--------------------
BEWARE OF PICK POCKETS AND LOOSE WOMEN!!
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke throughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE!"
Hunter S. Thompson
"I want to die peacefully like my grandfather in his sleep, not yelling and screaming like his passengers." Bob Monkhouse
" Sticking feathers up your ass does not make you a chicken!" Tyler Durden
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson
The noob forum
Crack Plates
Fastfreds media cookbook 60 agar/lc recipes
Water tub fruiting chamber Top layer/Pseudo casing Complete agar resource guide
Trusted teks and linksSEED "PETRI" TEK Vent ur PC

OfflineRotnpins
🤮 Rotten-Pins 🍄
Male User Gallery

Loc: in (front of) the hood
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: wild_aussie]
    #27780212 - 05/16/22 12:31 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

I'd take from 11 o'clock and 1130

Edited by Rotnpins (05/16/22 12:32 PM)

Offlinewild_aussie
Punk rocker til I die

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato]
    #27780228 - 05/16/22 12:49 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Thanks pins we seem to be on at the same time lately thanks for help

--------------------
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke throughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW WHAT A RIDE!"
Hunter S. Thompson
"I want to die peacefully like my grandfather in his sleep, not yelling and screaming like his passengers." Bob Monkhouse
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson
The noob forum
Crack Plates

OfflineRotnpins
🤮 Rotten-Pins 🍄
Male User Gallery

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: wild_aussie]
    #27780236 - 05/16/22 12:54 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

wild_aussie said:
Thanks pins we seem to be on at the same time lately thanks for help

No problem

:lol: I just spend wayyy too much time on here :lmafo:

At least it's on my cellphone and not a PC... I'd never get anything done :laugh2:

Edited by Rotnpins (05/16/22 12:56 PM)

Offlinewild_aussie
Punk rocker til I die

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Rotnpins]
    #27780288 - 05/16/22 01:37 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Lol me too.  I kinda have an excuse I'm just starting agar I have a 50lb bags of oats in my trunk and 22qt presto PC I got for $20 at a church thift store.  So I've been studying and researching. Of course that only accts for the last couple weeks 🤣 no real excuse for the rest of the time on here though:leaving::oldman::groove:

--------------------
Hunter S. Thompson
The noob forum
Crack Plates

OfflineChildOfTheMoon
Stranger

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Skydoggy]
    #27780308 - 05/16/22 01:52 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Skydoggy said:
Hi everyone,

I’m slowly learning how to grow myc on agar but it’s taking a while. Some of the challenges have been condensation when pouring plates, nothing growing with know good spores and contamination.

I am using a SAB and watched some of the videos posted here in SAB techniques and tried to be as sterile as possible.

As to plates I am  using Bod’s tek and using dextrose as a nutrient.

I know that nothing replaces good sterile techniques but is is possible to add something to the agar mix that suppress the green contamination I have been getting.

I have been at this for several months with little to show for my efforts.

Thanks everyone.

Waiting to pour a bit longer and then adding the plates on top of each other with an overfull plate on top has been helping me with condensation, although I haven’t managed to completely eliminate it either (not sure to which extend that’s possible or necessary), am relatively new as well.

My first pours I had a lot of contam too (never trich/green contam so not sure about that specifically), and what helped was being more thorough with cleaning my SAB and hands and arms.

If I haven’t cleaned my SAB properly in a while I wash it with chlorine an hour or so before using. Then right before wipe everything down with iso, turn it upside down and make an elevated construction inside (so I can pour the plates higher = less close to whatever settles on the bottom of my SAB while moving) and wipe that down with iso too. Cut nails and wash hands and arms with plenty of soap before starting, clean clothes, no sleeves. Wash my hands with antibac if I touch anything potentially unsterile while pouring. And avoid moving hands over the open plates or jar you’re pouring from.

I’ve heard adding charcoal can be beneficial, and I haven’t had much contam on my charcoal plates indeed, but I haven’t noticed a huge difference with normal agar. I would try to find out where the contam is coming from instead: are your plates that you didn’t inoculate getting the contam as well? If those are fine it probably means that the contam is coming from your spores or from you when you transferred them to the agar. If you have enough myc on your contaminated plate you can transfer it to a clean one.

Good luck! And maybe others with more experience have better input than me! 😅

OfflineRotnpins
🤮 Rotten-Pins 🍄
Male User Gallery

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Tormato] * 1
    #27780321 - 05/16/22 02:09 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

wild_aussie said:
Lol me too.  I kinda have an excuse I'm just starting agar I have a 50lb bags of oats in my trunk and 22qt presto PC I got for $20 at a church thift store.  So I've been studying and researching. Of course that only accts for the last couple weeks �� no real excuse for the rest of the time on here though:leaving::oldman::groove:

Based on when you made your account,  we probably started cultivating around the same time, so I'm just going  to use that as a blanket excuse.. "noobie research time" .. which it's mostly true, I spend a lot of time reading through teks and old threads.

Pretty soon we're going to have to come up with a new excuse.

I'm not part of the green team, but I'm loving my new black agar.

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 717 | 718 | 719 | 720 | 721 | 722 | 723 | 724 | 725 | 726 | 727 | 728 | 729 | 730 | 731 | 732 | 733 | 734 | 735 | 736 | 737 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies