Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | 225 | 226 | 227 | 228 | 229 | 230 | 231 | 232 | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | Next > | Last >
OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: gizmo1]
    #26718195 - 06/04/20 01:15 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

gizmo1 said:
Quote:

Psilosopherr said:
Man, I swabbed like 7 species to agar and got no germination, just tons of contams.

They were all wild prints though. Dampened the swab with petri condensation before swabbing, prints are only like 2-3 years old, idk what the deal is. All the blank plates I poured in that batch are still clean, and I've had good success rates lately besides this. :sad:

So you don't want to use old wild prints. Atleast I've never had luck with them. Ideally you should have cultivated them indoor while the prints were fresher then print them to store the prints. I'm not saying this is possible every time but it's best.
The reason being old spores take longer to hydrate and germ. Bacteria and mold doesn't. So if you have a old print that is "wild" it's gets harder and harder to get clean growth before bad stuff takes over. I'm not saying it's impossible at this point but unless they are super rare it's probably way more work than it's worth.

yeahhh, that was just what i had to work with. lots of valuable spores that'd take a lot of trading to replace with fresher. I'm particularly bummed the ovoid spores are showing their age, I really wanted to work with those guys. I was under the impression that they'd still be pretty good after a couple years, maybe i'll give it a second try.

I was certainly impressed when I swabbed an azurescen print that was only a week old, I got germination in like 3 or 5 days.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegizmo1
Other User Gallery

Loc: FREEDOM Flag
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: jbaby007]
    #26718212 - 06/04/20 01:36 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

jbaby007 said:
What dye do you use to get it so black?!

I have not idea what he used but my guess would be charcoal/activated carbon.

--------------------
Trade List
šŸ–•šŸ–•šŸ–•
6 hole Mini Monos

Invisiblegizmo1
Other User Gallery

Loc: FREEDOM Flag
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #26718227 - 06/04/20 01:42 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:
Quote:

gizmo1 said:
Quote:

Psilosopherr said:
Man, I swabbed like 7 species to agar and got no germination, just tons of contams.

They were all wild prints though. Dampened the swab with petri condensation before swabbing, prints are only like 2-3 years old, idk what the deal is. All the blank plates I poured in that batch are still clean, and I've had good success rates lately besides this. :sad:

So you don't want to use old wild prints. Atleast I've never had luck with them. Ideally you should have cultivated them indoor while the prints were fresher then print them to store the prints. I'm not saying this is possible every time but it's best.
The reason being old spores take longer to hydrate and germ. Bacteria and mold doesn't. So if you have a old print that is "wild" it's gets harder and harder to get clean growth before bad stuff takes over. I'm not saying it's impossible at this point but unless they are super rare it's probably way more work than it's worth.

yeahhh, that was just what i had to work with. lots of valuable spores that'd take a lot of trading to replace with fresher. I'm particularly bummed the ovoid spores are showing their age, I really wanted to work with those guys. I was under the impression that they'd still be pretty good after a couple years, maybe i'll give it a second try.

I was certainly impressed when I swabbed an azurescen print that was only a week old, I got germination in like 3 or 5 days.

Spores absolutely can and will store a few years and don't need to be fresh to germ the problem you run into is using older spores that are of "wild" quality. Basically the age of the spores works against you if they aren't cleaner printed spores.
If you could get a small amount of clean growth you could transfer away from any obvious contams then use a hot pour to deal with any bacteria but getting a small amount of clean growth from a old dirty print can be a challenge in itself.

--------------------
Trade List
šŸ–•šŸ–•šŸ–•
6 hole Mini Monos

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: gizmo1]
    #26718254 - 06/04/20 02:20 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I appreciate the input

yeah there were a couple spots of white that might've been mycelium but it wasn't worth it to me at the time.

maybe I'll keep the plates outside in a tupperware next time to slow down the contams via temperature

OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

Loc: The outsideround Flag
    #26718269 - 06/04/20 02:41 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Certainly cooler temps are a friend of a woodlover, and enemy of many moulds/bacterias. . .

--------------------
The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread

Official New Zealand woodlovers grow thread

ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“    ā•­āˆ©ā•®(-_-)ā•­āˆ©ā•®    ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“ā€“
The Official Kiwi DMT and MAOI Thread

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Bobbit]
    #26718411 - 06/04/20 05:44 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

were you the one who told me that in the other thread a while back or am i thinking of bobiwastaken?

I thought about doing it but got caught up on details and talked myself out of it. Never worked much with wild prints I guess, learning is fun.

Had such fun doing mushwork tonight maybe I will just go for it and swab em all again in the cold. Did some G2G tonight, hadn't done that in agess, felt so nice. Doin tampensis. Had one pint of spawn left over and I'm trying to decide if I should cook up some grain for it or just spawn it to a small tub to get some stones going and then put that outside once its got stones. My main goal with the tamps is just to get them going outdoors anyways.

(Side question: how long should blank petris last at room temperature? Think mine are a month old and 5 out of 40 of em were startin to get some mold in the center of the dishes. Guess I could put them all in the fridge while not in use, so much condensation though)

Whats the hot pour someone mentioned earlier btw? Thought I remembered that being pouring more liquid agar over the top of a contammed plate. Was never clear on how exactly that was supposed to help, maybe the myc reaches up to the top of the new layer whilst bacteria wont?

God clean cultures look so pretty, I am just loving the disposable petris now that I've tried them. its possible I'm on a stimulant and feeling chatty

OfflineAtomHeart
MK Ultra Operative
Male

#26718568 - 06/04/20 07:54 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
You once ripped a man's jaw off...I seent it!

InvisibleDephect
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: AtomHeart]
    #26718622 - 06/04/20 08:32 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Where do you get those plates? Those are amazing.

Nice looking cultures too.

OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male User Gallery

#26718630 - 06/04/20 08:38 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Those plates are super cool. Great growth too

--------------------
Make my Funk the P Funk, I wants to get Funked up

LAGM2024

OfflineInthepit
Aum Mani Padme Hum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Puerto Rico
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Gastronomicus]
    #26718638 - 06/04/20 08:42 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Looks like the round peg inna square hole problem...

OfflineAtomHeart
MK Ultra Operative
Male

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Inthepit]
    #26718668 - 06/04/20 09:06 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Hehe, I got them on Amazon...but I don't like them...won't buy them again.  They have no feet or ridges on the outside, so they just slide and don't stack securely.  They also require almost twice as much agar to fill.  Lots of quirks I didn't think thru when I ordered them.  But they sure look cool.

--------------------
You once ripped a man's jaw off...I seent it!

InvisibleDephect
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #26718677 - 06/04/20 09:11 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I can see how you might not like that.

I have ordered these plates a couple times. I like them but they too also have no ridges, it makes opening up for pouring really easy. I can run them through the PC and keep using them.

Do you have a link for those dishes? Can you run them through the PC?

OfflineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: AtomHeart] * 1
    #26718938 - 06/04/20 11:27 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Those square plates are awesome. Put a little coir top layer on the when your culture is fully grown and Bam! Smallest

Shoe box ever!

Offlineoculodextro
Male
Loc: Space is the Place
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Sockadin]
    #26719497 - 06/04/20 03:51 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

T1 of Fiji

InvisibleDrboomer
The lord magnificent
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Dephect]
    #26719788 - 06/04/20 05:29 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Dephect said:
I can see how you might not like that.

I have ordered these plates a couple times. I like them but they too also have no ridges, it makes opening up for pouring really easy. I can run them through the PC and keep using them.

Do you have a link for those dishes? Can you run them through the PC?

Hey bud if you go to order those again order from the supplier. They are so so much cheaper even with shipping as long as you buy a couple dozen. https://www.hbarsci.com/products/ch0372cpk12 they even have sizes 50 to 120+ mm

I use the 75 mm ones. I find they are the best blend of space to grow out and amount of agar. I pour 40 plates with under 600 ml of agar. I do wish they were clearer but such is life.

I've been thinking about buying some of there poly propelene flasks to pc agar but it's hard to justify when loading up my 250ml media bottle and chucking all 4 in my instant pot for 45 mins while making dinner or doing dishes is so much more efficient

Offlinepsycho_nauticus
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Incognito on Cloud 9
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: Sockadin]
    #26720140 - 06/04/20 08:00 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

This is my Burma culture Iā€™m going to put to grain tomorrow or this weekend, I think it looks ready to go to grain. What do you guys think?

--------------------

InvisibleLadysKnight
Hello Ladies
 User Gallery

Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: psycho_nauticus]
    #26720147 - 06/04/20 08:03 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

psycho_nauticus said:
This is my Burma culture Iā€™m going to put to grain tomorrow or this weekend, I think it looks ready to go to grain. What do you guys think?

Hate to be the dick, jcm missing, but I like how you're working more and talking less, nice work.

Offlinepsycho_nauticus
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Incognito on Cloud 9
Re: AGAR ENVY! (Anything and All things agar!) [Re: LadysKnight]
    #26720180 - 06/04/20 08:20 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Jcm missing? Not sure what you mean by that...? And what do you mean you hate to be the dick? Is there something wrong that I did?

--------------------

InvisibleLadysKnight
Hello Ladies
 User Gallery

#26720195 - 06/04/20 08:26 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Nah bro. The jist is, you are winning. Nice watching your progress.

OfflineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male User Gallery

#26720231 - 06/04/20 08:42 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Just made T2. I think it went well but I have a lot to work on in terms of SAB work. Made 3 plates.

--------------------
Make my Funk the P Funk, I wants to get Funked up

LAGM2024

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | 225 | 226 | 227 | 228 | 229 | 230 | 231 | 232 | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags