Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFishLevelMidnight
Aquaman
Male User Gallery

Re: P. zapotecorum grow, what substrate to use/test? [Re: Solipsis]
    #25656273 - 12/04/18 07:49 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

The landslide might just be an adaptation to the environment.

Spores get washed down the slopes and colonize on decomposing wood (? :shrug:) and then get covered by the next landslide and continue to colonize the wood.

The following landslide might expose the wood to the surface (or get close enough) for other environmental factors to then induce fruiting...

Maybe the soil isself isn’t so important but the mushrooms are able to construct a niche in the non nutritious, chaotic environment that other organisms can’t exploit?

If my cube style grow doesn’t work I’ll try sawdust in the spawn (more time to break down than if used in sub) and try 2 tubs, one with my normal casing and another with some clay like soil.

Going to slant my clean T2 just to be safe, although I’d prefer to slant a fruit clone :wink:

--------------------

Trade List

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: P. zapotecorum grow, what substrate to use/test? [Re: FishLevelMidnight]
    #25656559 - 12/04/18 10:53 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

If I were to try this species I'd use the same technique I used for Psilocybe papuana and P. aucklandiae but probably with some aged sawdust.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24693122
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22459920

--------------------

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: P. zapotecorum grow, what substrate to use/test? [Re: inski]
    #25661803 - 12/06/18 02:09 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

@fisherman: either way, you don't know what kind of signalling goes on in their metabolism to trigger fruiting or other parts of their life cycle.
Some of the cues may actually be kind of meaningless but happen to coincide with the ideal time to start another phase of their development.

It makes sense to try and simulate different parts of their natural habitat like the soil type and soil life, and see what works.

Yes, a landslide may just be convenient but what makes the niche work and what makes it tick? There has to be something atuned to it if relatively easy decomposable substrates on their own don't cut it even if they should have everything they need. Might be they are still unnecessarily waiting on some cue/signal that belongs to their natural habitat cause that is how their biological clock works?

Other than that I defer to much more experienced mycologists, esp experienced with exotic species. So far I have not fruited any of my exotics yet but hey this was just the first season.

Offlineshroompy
StrainCollector
 User Gallery

#25692959 - 12/21/18 02:09 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

How's the zapotecorum coming? Is there any news? I've got mine in a WBS Glas... It's taking its time..

OfflineFishLevelMidnight
Aquaman
Male User Gallery

Re: P. zapotecorum grow, what substrate to use/test? [Re: shroompy]
    #25700150 - 12/24/18 11:22 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

I heard it was slow so I did an LC and inoculated my grain with a HIGH volume.

Tub is chilling now- I did 4.5 qt grain to 3 qt sub and its been a little over a week.

I've been gone so not sure how it is recovering, but I will update after the new year or after I case or something cool happens. I'm worried about temps as I am only in 60-64 F range now, but we will see.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25642180 if you want to follow along!

--------------------

Trade List

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: P. zapotecorum grow, what substrate to use/test? [Re: FishLevelMidnight]
    #25700806 - 12/24/18 05:51 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Great! If i have the attention and time for it, will try to do a comparison with zap on different substrates. I've had some contams on agar following me around, but now seems to have a nice clean culture.

I don't know why but I have a feeling zaps would be good on a mix of wood and grains.

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Trusted Cultivator
    #25701757 - 12/25/18 08:09 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

OfflineFishLevelMidnight
Aquaman
Male User Gallery

Re: P. zapotecorum grow, what substrate to use/test? [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #25701949 - 12/25/18 10:34 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Nice.

Def going to use sawdust in the grainspawn next time and if this doesn’t pan out.

Things are cold here so will likely have to revisit in the late spring/summer, got ahead of myself

--------------------

Trade List

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract