Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Bod's Easy AF SHOEBOXES STUPID SIMPLE [Re: 36fuckin5]
    #25604956 - 11/10/18 09:15 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

36fuckin5 said:
I always let it colonize before I introduce FAE. I've tried both (not with an isolate but with a clone) and only noticed minimal difference. I decided to stick with the way that's worked for me for years and years.

Same. What i do is wait for the first little pin. In my experience its not gonna happen before that anyway

I also stick to what ive learned, which is why i was hesitant to use this bag method. But now i see its fine if theres a fan

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineVibe_Enthusiast
Mushroom Technician
I'm a teapot

Loc: GPS signal lost.. Flag
Re: Bod's Easy AF SHOEBOXES STUPID SIMPLE [Re: Fractal420]
    #25605725 - 11/10/18 04:54 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:
People say to introduce FAE and such pretty fast but ive always been in the habit of letting the spawn run at least mostly finish.

However, im likely a few years behind when it comes to teks (used to all tubs, even just SGFC and what RR would recommend, but mostly pollyfill minitubs). So i had to learn about water treating bulk sub, as well as the bag method, and even just suddenly the lack of 6500k lights which were said to be pretty important (at least like 5000k) but now people use indirect sunlight it seems.

Things change, and seem to get easier, which is awesome. Im glad for everyone who took the time to experiment.

I recall when it was recommended to not experiment (also RR) and just stick exactly to the recipe
But i saw diff boards doing it differently

Yeah for sure man. You can clearly see I haven't been here for too long. I was doing a lot of research about things and noticed I was looking at threads that were created 13 years ago lol. Everything is so much more updated. So I'm trying to digest best convenient methods prior to last second haha.

Everyone here is awesome. Thanks for the replies!

--------------------
:greyalien:

OfflineDonnyNeon
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Bod's Easy AF SHOEBOXES STUPID SIMPLE [Re: Vibe_Enthusiast]
    #25606443 - 11/11/18 02:22 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Anyone try this with a full size unmodified tub? Substitute the grocery bag for a trash bag.
Kinda dumb come to think of it. Probably wouldn't run out of headroom in a large tub.
I assume the only reason to do it would be if your lid went missing. Nevermind. Carry on.

--------------------

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Bod's Easy AF SHOEBOXES STUPID SIMPLE [Re: DonnyNeon]
    #25606626 - 11/11/18 06:47 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Ive used cling wrap as an alternative for a top. Works great

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

Offlineteladi
FUNKSOULBROTHER

Loc: South Africa Flag
    #25614477 - 11/14/18 01:49 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

2.3L tubs of SUC with coir at 1:4, cased with verm. About 80% colonized.

Offlinecaptmarc
Noob
 User Gallery
Re: Bod's Easy AF SHOEBOXES STUPID SIMPLE [Re: teladi]
    #25623913 - 11/18/18 06:50 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Followed this tek for very first grow.  1/2 pint BRF cakes (4 per shoebox), spawned with coir and verm using Bod's coir tek (needed the verm because I made it too wet not following directions to a T, duh).  Got 25g dry from the box I didn't almost spill, the other two were goofed up because of a little slip but still produced just only on half the substrate lol,  Got over 50g dry between the 3 boxes.  Super happy and learned a ton!  Thanks to everyone on this forum!

OfflineVibe_Enthusiast
Mushroom Technician
I'm a teapot

Loc: GPS signal lost.. Flag
Re: Bod's Easy AF SHOEBOXES STUPID SIMPLE [Re: captmarc]
    #25627369 - 11/20/18 11:00 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

captmarc said:
Followed this tek for very first grow.  1/2 pint BRF cakes (4 per shoebox), spawned with coir and verm using Bod's coir tek (needed the verm because I made it too wet not following directions to a T, duh).  Got 25g dry from the box I didn't almost spill, the other two were goofed up because of a little slip but still produced just only on half the substrate lol,  Got over 50g dry between the 3 boxes.  Super happy and learned a ton!  Thanks to everyone on this forum!

For a first grow, sounds like much success.

I was debating if to take my cakes and prep them into a shoebox.. but I think I'm just going to ride them out as cakes.

--------------------
:greyalien:

OfflineAtleastdoyourbest
Stranger Things
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Axis Mundi Flag
Re: Bod's Easy AF SHOEBOXES STUPID SIMPLE [Re: Vibe_Enthusiast]
    #25634154 - 11/23/18 10:29 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

First 2 shoeboxes. I think they are toast. BRF spawned to coir 1:1 and 1:2. Using the bucket tek. So when I spawned these guys they smelled nice and shroomy. Broke them up and put them in a freshly cleaned shoebox on 11/21. Now they have a sour smell and the myc looks like mold. Toss or wait?

OfflineDonnyNeon
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Bod's Easy AF SHOEBOXES STUPID SIMPLE [Re: Atleastdoyourbest]
    #25634262 - 11/23/18 11:10 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Atleastdoyourbest said:
First 2 shoeboxes. I think they are toast. BRF spawned to coir 1:1 and 1:2. Using the bucket tek. So when I spawned these guys they smelled nice and shroomy. Broke them up and put them in a freshly cleaned shoebox on 11/21. Now they have a sour smell and the myc looks like mold. Toss or wait?

I haven't seen enough myc or mold to tell the difference, but I was just dealing with a terrible smelling shoebox a couple days ago. Smelled like fermenting yeast. Really gross, probably bacteria? I was about to throw it out this morning and decided to give it another smell. The fermentated yeast smell was gone and it smelled like mushrooms. Now I'm waiting for pins. I'd say if it's bacterial, you've got some time to see if it corrects itself. If it's mold get it out asap.

--------------------

OfflineAtleastdoyourbest
Stranger Things

#25634604 - 11/23/18 02:28 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks man. I just read your question thread. Yours look like they are much further along than mine. Well here is my plan. Since it is just those 2 in that place I will wait 24 - 48 hours unless there is a major change. It almost smells like coir with a sour bite to it. But again i am not experienced. What worries me most is the look of the myc. IDK time to learn I guess.

OfflineDonnyNeon
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25634733 - 11/23/18 03:43 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

My shoebox stunk since the day after I spawned it on November 17. The smell got worse and worse, but colonized fast. I didn't check on it for a couple days. Then I was checking on it today before thinking of throwing it out. Like I said, smell was totally gone. You might have to wait longer than a couple days for the smell to go away.
Here it is a minute ago:

If I had myc that looked like yours I wouldn't be worried, but I don't know much.

Oh also, is your substrate dry? Could just be the lighting or my untrained eye, but that coir looks like a desert.

--------------------

Edited by DonnyNeon (11/23/18 04:00 PM)

OfflineAtleastdoyourbest
Stranger Things

#25634949 - 11/23/18 05:47 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DonnyNeon said:

If I had myc that looked like yours I wouldn't be worried, but I don't know much.

Oh also, is your substrate dry? Could just be the lighting or my untrained eye, but that coir looks like a desert.

It is dry. I don't know why. It seemed to be at perfect field capacity. The lid is not on tight maybe that is it.

I will update as things progress. Thank you for the replies man.

OfflineDonnyNeon
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25635157 - 11/23/18 07:51 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Probably not the lid, guys leave lids cracked all the time. I'm guessing it was dry from the point it was mixed, or maybe baking in direct sunlight for a long time.

--------------------

OfflineAtleastdoyourbest
Stranger Things

#25635200 - 11/23/18 08:32 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Well it is not in sunlight. I use led. Either way going to snap the lids and wait. Once pins arrive ill be missing 1 - 2 times per week. We will see.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

#25635688 - 11/24/18 07:32 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DonnyNeon said:
My shoebox stunk since the day after I spawned it on November 17. The smell got worse and worse, but colonized fast. I didn't check on it for a couple days. Then I was checking on it today before thinking of throwing it out. Like I said, smell was totally gone. You might have to wait longer than a couple days for the smell to go away.
Here it is a minute ago:

Thats weird. It should just smell like mushies. Could be a small amount of bacteria that isnt enough to fuck up the tub. The myc looks decent to me

As far as dryness, seems right about average. Could use some water but doesnt seem dehydrated

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineDonnyNeon
Stranger
 User Gallery

#25636367 - 11/24/18 01:40 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

It was soaked earlier that day, big pools of water, especially in the corners. I increased fae, then thought I should fan it, then took a syringe and gently sucked up the pools. I couldn't leave it alone.

Lots of guys say they don't mist during the 1st flush, but I've been misting another shoebox (not pictured) that can't seem to keep droplets on the surface. One soaking wet, and one bone dry. I'll get the hang of this balancing act eventually. It seems like they're taking forever to pin as well. Not sure if that's my fault or not.

UPDATE: previously while trying to dry out the soaked sponge shoebox I opened the holes to the size of a pencil. It worked on drying it out a little too well. I got a new bag and made smaller pinholes. They seem to be working a lot better. Moral of the story, figure it out.

--------------------

Edited by DonnyNeon (11/24/18 10:41 PM)

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

#25637511 - 11/25/18 04:44 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

I dont mist i just throw a cup of water into the substrate, or a half cup. Whatever is needed. And i get rid of excess water after like 12-24hr

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineSteez
Seagull
Male

Loc: Flag
    #25660594 - 12/05/18 10:15 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:
I dont mist i just throw a cup of water into the substrate, or a half cup. Whatever is needed. And i get rid of excess water after like 12-24hr

Funny you should mention that as I was contemplating that earlier. I'm at a point in the process where I feel that I should add some moisture to the substrate, but nervous to mess with them. When do you add the cup of water?

OfflineGrimsweeper
don't fear the sweeper
 User Gallery

Loc: broom closet
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Bod's Easy AF SHOEBOXES STUPID SIMPLE [Re: Steez]
    #25660604 - 12/05/18 10:25 PM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Steez said:
Quote:

Fractal420 said:

Funny you should mention that as I was contemplating that earlier. I'm at a point in the process where I feel that I should add some moisture to the substrate, but nervous to mess with them. When do you add the cup of water?

Typically shoeboxes are set and forget if you have field capacity correct at spawn. Don't fuck with it until you harvest or (maybe) during first flush.

--------------------
When you clean a vacuum cleaner you are a vacuum cleaner
Build yourself a Flow Hood in these 99 simple steps

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Bod's Easy AF SHOEBOXES STUPID SIMPLE [Re: Grimsweeper]
    #25661204 - 12/06/18 08:52 AM (5 years, 3 months ago)

Well if you have a shoebox with a plastic bag, i would say fhats not as "set and forget" as a tub. Why? Because you cant see the fruit till theyre big enough to reach the plastic bag and ready for harvest. Also my first flush didnt get enough FAE cause the guide said no need for a fan basically. So with a tub i can pretty much set and forget for real. When its time to harvest or FAE is too low you can easily tell.

However this bag method is great for just super easy tubs without having to buy containers and make dubtubs and all that. I just wouldnt (personally) call it set and forget. IMO thats more a monotub/minitub. Shoeboxes ive been doing for years but just dubbing them.

So also, i noticed it would dry out much faster than inside a tub. Which is pretty obvious

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags