Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleHermes_br
~~~
 User Gallery

Presence of Phenylethylamine in Hallucinogenic Psilocybe Mus
    #2563584 - 04/15/04 02:49 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

you can download it from: https://www.rhodium.ws/pdf/psilocybe-pea.pdf

Presence of Phenylethylamine in Hallucinogenic Psilocybe Mushroom: Possible Role in Adverse Reactions
Olof Beck, Anders Helander, Christine Karlson-Stiber, and Nikolai Stephansson
Journal of Analytical Toxicology, Vol. 22, 45-49 (1998)

Abstract
The use of mushrooms containing the hallucinogenic substance psilocybin for intentional intoxication is relatively common. Occasionally, this results in adverse reactions with typical tachycardia that is not evidently caused by psilocybin. This study demonstrates the presence of phenylethylamine in the species Psilocybe semilanceata using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry and shows that the amount of this substance may vary much more than that of psilocybin. The highest amount of phenylethylamine (146 ?g/g wet weight) was observed in mushrooms from a case of three young men hospitalized because of adverse reactions. Comparison of the symptoms observed in clinical cases of magic mushroom intoxication with those after intake of pure psilocybin or phenylethylamine suggests that phenylethylamine might have a role in the development of adverse reactions to Psilocybe mushroom intake.

-----------------------------------------------------
obs. thanks Rhodium...

obs2. I know MushroomJohn discounts this analysis as a false positive...

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Presence of Phenylethylamine in Hallucinogenic Psilocybe Mus [Re: Hermes_br]
    #2564975 - 04/15/04 07:08 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Onbly because several chemists I know in Europe also looked for the amphetamines in liberty caps and never found any.

Like the DEA paper on no psilocybine in the mycelium of psilocybe species grown and which they analyzed in their labs. OF course we know there is.

Anyway its interesting reading.

mj

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Presence of Phenylethylamine in Hallucinogenic Psilocybe Mus [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2565047 - 04/15/04 07:39 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I myself know for a fact that there is. I've gotten good trips azurescens mycelium, and cubensis mycelium both.

--------------------

InvisibleHermes_br
~~~
 User Gallery

Re: Presence of Phenylethylamine in Hallucinogenic Psilocybe Mus [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2565124 - 04/15/04 07:59 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hi,

so.., those results(presence of phenylethylamine) could never be duplicated, MJ ?
......hm......interesting...!

were they ever published ?

:thumbup:

InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Northern Europe
Re: Presence of Phenylethylamine in Hallucinogenic Psilocybe [Re: mjshroomer]
    #2565283 - 04/15/04 08:47 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Phenylethylamine is not an amphetamine. So if they looked for amphetamines only, they would not find it.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
    #2566070 - 04/16/04 12:18 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I heard from someone who was experimenting that the level of psilocybin varied with the ammount of light a liquid culture received. When the culture was kept in natural daylight, the mycelium (by bioassay) contained higher levels that when it did not.

Not every experiment is perfect either. Methodology, technique, and even luck plays a huge role in the success of any given experiment

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

OfflineDerek
Re: Presence of Phenylethylamine in Hallucinogenic Psilocybe Mus [Re: Joshua]
    #2566181 - 04/16/04 12:58 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Wasn't phenylethylamine the trace amine that caused the neurological effects of love? I think I've also read about it being responsible for the high runners get.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: Presence of Phenylethylamine in Hallucinogenic Psilocybe Mus [Re: Derek]
    #2566234 - 04/16/04 01:23 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Good memory!!

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

InvisibleStipe
Hunter -Gatherer

Re: Presence of Phenylethylamine in Hallucinogenic Psilocybe Mus [Re: Joshua]
    #2566826 - 04/16/04 09:03 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Pretty interesting stuff. I did a quick search on phenylethylamine and from what I've read it doesn't seem too far fetched to think that it would be found in psilocybes, based on my own shroom experience (of course psilocybin, psilocin, baeocystin, etc, may have something to do with that too).

Note: phenylethylamin is amphetamine-like but not an amphetamine.

Here's an exerpt from:

http://health.discovery.com/convergence/scienceoflove/fallinginlove3.html

Your Brain's Love Cocktails

Is the love buzz just a chemical reaction? Recent science has proven that the answer is 'yes,' and one neurochemical is mainly responsible. Professor Robert Friar (left), of Ferris State University in Michigan, explains:

"Falling in love involves Phenylethylamine or PEA, which causes a person to be less likley to be aware of the faults of the other person.

"Phenylethylamine gives us that euphoric high. That feel good. Everything is wonderful. This person can do no wrong. We've often times seen people who fall in love with somebody and ask 'are you blind?' Well, yes they really are blind. And almost no one can tell them at that stage of the game because Phenylethylamine is pouring out in large quantities.

"And of course we can't sustain that level of Phenylethylamine for a long period of time, so it begins to drop after a couple years. As it slowly drops off it gets to the point at about four or five years that it actually becomes ineffective after that."

When we meet someone to whom we are sexually attracted, our bodies respond by releasing neurochemicals that can leave us sputtering, incoherent and breathless.

Our body is a huge cocktail, a mix of chemicals that speed up our heart rate, give us sweaty palms, make our cheeks flush and turn us into lovesick fools.

The chemicals responsible for love are all originally released in the brain and have an effect throughout the whole body. The base spirit is the PEA, and as it is more commonly known, the 'love chemical.' Its effect on our mood is similar to that caused by amphetamines.

More evidence that we're just slaves to our chemicals:

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/3-27-2004-52238.asp

InvisibleStipe
Hunter -Gatherer

Re: Presence of Phenylethylamine in Hallucinogenic Psilocybe Mus [Re: Hermes_br]
    #2566939 - 04/16/04 09:51 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hermes_br said:
The highest amount of phenylethylamine (146 ?g/g wet weight) was observed in mushrooms from a case of three young men hospitalized because of adverse reactions. Comparison of the symptoms observed in clinical cases of magic mushroom intoxication with those after intake of pure psilocybin or phenylethylamine suggests that phenylethylamine might have a role in the development of adverse reactions to Psilocybe mushroom intake.

-----------------------------------------------------
obs. thanks Rhodium...

obs2. I know MushroomJohn discounts this analysis as a false positive...

Lets assume a dosage of 30 wet grams which is a big dose of semilanceata. So thats 4380ug or 4.38mg of phenylethylamine (PEA). Here's a clinical study with dosages of 10mg to 60mg/day PEA taken with 10mg/day of selegiline which is a MAO-B inhibitor:

http://www.chocolate.org/pea.htm

From this it seems unlikely that it was the PEA that caused the adverse mushroom reactions but its a cool study nonetheless.

I like the fact that the study reports the concentrations of psilocybin and PEA found in each sample.

If psilocybes do have PEA then this might be important for some people: "Prison inmates discovered to be using magic mushrooms tested positive in the urine drug screeing for the amphetamine class of compounds... because the assay does not detect psilocybin... the presence of an unknown compound structurally related to amphetamine was detected." (phenylethylamine)

The reported findings in table 1 seem questionable and it doesn't report doseages.

Edited by Stipe (04/16/04 02:54 PM)

Offlinecreach
holist
Loc: Oceania
    #2613450 - 04/28/04 11:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Amphetamine is a phenethylalamine - AlphaMethylPHenylEThylalAMINE
It's a silly name really.

--------------------
Big Brother is watching you because you are watching Big Brother

Offlinedistortion
 User Gallery
Loc: Murder Mitten Flag
Re: Presence of Phenylethylamine in Hallucinogenic Psilocybe Mus [Re: Stipe]
    #2618550 - 04/29/04 10:25 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Stipe said:
"And of course we can't sustain that level of Phenylethylamine for a long period of time, so it begins to drop after a couple years. As it slowly drops off it gets to the point at about four or five years that it actually becomes ineffective after that."

Will someone explain what this means? It sounds like they're saying if you take large amounts of PEA's for a number of years, you will become immune to them and won't be able to feel happiness anymore? I hope this isn't true.

--------------------
Think for Yourself. Question Authority.

-Timothy Leary

InvisibleHermes_br
~~~
 User Gallery

Re: Presence of Phenylethylamine in Hallucinogenic Psilocybe Mus [Re: Stipe]
    #2627366 - 05/02/04 10:19 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

hi,

the argument of PEA + psilocybine bad reactions is on page 48 on that paper, in the right column.

about the amphetamine being a phenylethylamine, the point is that it's contrary is false.

Edited by Hermes_br (07/24/04 04:29 PM)

OfflineMcJosh13
Stranger
Re [Re: Hermes_br]
    #3950115 - 03/21/05 06:56 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

edit

Edited by McJosh13 (06/19/07 01:15 PM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Presence of Phenylethylamine in Hallucinogenic Psilocybe Mus [Re: McJosh13]
    #3950365 - 03/21/05 07:53 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I still think that chemical analyusis of the liberty caps was a false positive done by people who do not knwo anything about what it is they were doing. I only say this since no one else has found theat chemical in any other shrooms since.

Stijve wrote me that he investigated it and found no phenylethylamine in P. si emilanceata. he felt no need to publish any papers on the matter. Gartz also agreed that he thinks it was false also.

Any6way, maybe the kid was doing speed and they got their samples mixed int he lab and contaminated something.

mj

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

Re: Presence of Phenylethylamine in Hallucinogenic Psilocybe Mus [Re: distortion]
    #3951171 - 03/21/05 11:29 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

distortion said:
Quote:

Stipe said:

Will someone explain what this means? It sounds like they're saying if you take large amounts of PEA's for a number of years, you will become immune to them and won't be able to feel happiness anymore? I hope this isn't true.

If you read the whole thing they are basically saying that when you fall in love, you are blind to the faults of your lovee basically, as time passes the phentylamine doesnt have the same effect that it had when your were first in love, so basically they are blaming the loss of love, infidelity, and every other lack of love related aspect of a couple on a neurochemical reaction, "since your body cant keep this up for 4-5 years" its phentylamines fault that your parents divorces or you happen to cheat on your girlfriend or you just fall out of love, personally I say this is a sad excuse for a professor to explain to his wife, and the students hes boned why he cheated on his wife, and also why he wont bone these students anymore, this guy has made things easaier for all of us, but just like his wife, Im not buying it, but Im sure a student or two of his is taking this excuse over suicide...

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

#3952773 - 03/22/05 10:58 AM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

mjshroomer said:
I still think that chemical analyusis of the liberty caps was a false positive done by people who do not knwo anything about what it is they were doing. I only say this since no one else has found theat chemical in any other shrooms since.

Stijve wrote me that he investigated it and found no phenylethylamine in P. si emilanceata. he felt no need to publish any papers on the matter. Gartz also agreed that he thinks it was false also.

Any6way, maybe the kid was doing speed and they got their samples mixed int he lab and contaminated something.

mj

So, what published data contradicts their results?

InvisiblePinback
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Presence of Phenylethylamine in Hallucinogenic Psilocybe Mus [Re: Pinback]
    #3976540 - 03/27/05 05:59 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

None?

Offlinehjalmar
retired clandestine chemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Gallia Belgica (Menapia)
Re: Presence of Phenylethylamine in Hallucinogenic Psilocybe Mus [Re: Pinback]
    #3996908 - 03/31/05 08:09 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

Looks to me like another crappy paper by career-hunting toxicologists.. If they did there homework they would have known that phenethylamine is, as was mentioned here before, completely broken down by the body's MAO enzymes. Shulgin ate a gram of it without any effects, and these monkeys dare to suggest that a mere 20 mg could cause adverse reactions!

If there was really PEA in these particular mushrooms, I would not be so surprised as it is common in many plants in small amounts, it is the main decomposition product of the essential amino acid phenylalanine. So I agree, probably an artifact of analysis.

It could not have been (meth)amphetamine usage, as its primary metabolite is phenylacetic acid.

--------------------
Gymnopilus luteofolius indoor grow log
Psilocybe cyanescens outdoor grow: stems to cardboard to woodchips
Wir behalten von unseren Studien am Ende doch nur das, was wir praktisch anwenden.  (Goethe)
ή γνώσις τών όντων

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology