Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinevuvu1

Loc: Right here
Has any one perlite with the PF Tek ?
    #2561761 - 04/14/04 11:37 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

I can't find vermiculite in any local shops. I need to know if perlite is a waste of time. If so what other mediums will work effectively?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
Re: Has any one perlite with the PF Tek ? [Re: vuvu1]
    #2561816 - 04/14/04 11:59 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

According to the Shroom Wizard's Guide, Perlite can be substituted in the substrate.http://www.shroomwizard.com/growguide.htmlyou should be able to find verm at a gardening store, walmart, or fred meyer.

Offlinevuvu1

#2561905 - 04/15/04 12:25 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Has any one ever used perlite before? Thanks for the reply mycoguy.

InvisibleHallucinogen
Raoul Duke

Loc: Amsterdam
    #2561937 - 04/15/04 12:35 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

You need Perlite regardless, Perlite cannot substitute Verm and vice versa.
And yes, Im using Perlite right now to maintain the right RH.

--------------------
Substrate + jars = $20
Magic Mushroom spores = $12
Growing your own Magic Mushrooms = Priceless

Offlinevuvu1

Re: Has any one perlite with the PF Tek ? [Re: Hallucinogen]
    #2561947 - 04/15/04 12:39 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

So I can use perlite and BRF istead of vermiculite? I just want to be 110% sure ya know.

InvisibleHallucinogen
Raoul Duke

#2561964 - 04/15/04 12:45 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

No, that is what I just said, you cannot use one to substitute the other, you need both.

--------------------
Substrate + jars = $20

Offlinevuvu1

Re: Has any one perlite with the PF Tek ? [Re: Hallucinogen]
    #2561983 - 04/15/04 12:51 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

gotcha thanks

InvisibleHallucinogen
Raoul Duke

#2561992 - 04/15/04 12:54 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Most of the garden stores sell verm & perlite, a garden store near me sold me 1 pound of verm for $2.99 and the perlite cost me $3.99.

--------------------
Substrate + jars = $20

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
    #2562257 - 04/15/04 02:44 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

vuvu1 said:
So I can use perlite and BRF istead of vermiculite? I just want to be 110% sure ya know.

according to shroom wizard, YES, but he recommends verm.
He also uses verm in his casing. now, if you are wanting to grow from cakes, then you can only use perlite for your source of humidity... as opposed to verm. Read his grow guide.. its short.

(hallucinogen, i find it interesting that you are contradicting a proven tek, and you are so new to the forum. )-(yes i know, im new too) -->my apologies to hallucinogen, for that statement. But keep on reading this thread...it CAN be done.

Edited by mycoguy (04/16/04 10:15 PM)

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2562388 - 04/15/04 04:37 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Do not use perlite in place of verm. Think of it this way, your replacing little sponges with little pieces of lava rock. (Just a example folks)

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleHallucinogen
Raoul Duke

Re: Has any one perlite with the PF Tek ? [Re: mycoguy]
    #2563039 - 04/15/04 09:57 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mycoguy said:
Quote:

vuvu1 said:

according to shroom wizard, YES, but he recommends verm.
He also uses verm in his casing.

(hallucinogen, i find it interesting that you are contradicting a proven tek, and you are so new to the forum. )-(yes i know, im new too)

1st of all, after you said that YES you can replace verm with perlite proves you have no clue about mushrooms cultivation.
2nd just because I just registered dont mean Im a newbie, I already grown about 100 cakes, Ive been reading this website for years now :rolleyes:

Anyways, if you dont know something dont give out the wrong information and make the guy fail his grow.

Even Magash said what I said.

--------------------
Substrate + jars = $20

Invisiblesnatchcakes
Rad Dude

Loc: HellTrack
Re: Has any one perlite with the PF Tek ? [Re: mycoguy]
    #2563051 - 04/15/04 10:11 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Shroom Wizards Tek is far from a proven tek.I have used it in the past with 100% failure rate and I know several others who have also had similar outcomes with his methods.I even bought a set of presteralized jars off him a few years ago and they came contaminated with Trich,so have no faith in his methods.The book he sends free with each order is a joke.The only really reliable tek for newbies is the PF tek.Stick to that.Although you may enjoy limited amounts of success other ways,its best to follow a real Proven Tek before messing around with others.
If you cant find verm anywhere go get a money order and mail it to mycosupply or one of the other sponsors and buy some online.Or buy a Mycobag,but you will be wasting your time using perlite.There is a brief writeup in the FAQ about substituting Perlite and although it says it did work somewhat,it also says that it didnt work very well.
They use perlite in potting soil to help with drainage.Used in a PF tek the water will be filtered down to the bottom.
In the PF tek you want exactly the oppisate effect,that is why you use verm,to Hold the water in not for drainage.

InvisibleHallucinogen
Raoul Duke

Re: Has any one perlite with the PF Tek ? [Re: snatchcakes]
    #2563063 - 04/15/04 10:18 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Another person with the same facts, which means mycoguy if you dont know something dont go spread out the wrong information.

--------------------
Substrate + jars = $20

InvisibleMoNk
pupil

#2563065 - 04/15/04 10:20 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

snatchcakes said:
Shroom Wizards Tek is far from a proven tek.I have used it in the past with 100% failure rate 

100% failure is bad  :shocked:

Invisiblesnatchcakes
Rad Dude

Re: Has any one perlite with the PF Tek ? [Re: MoNk]
    #2563076 - 04/15/04 10:25 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

yes and I used 2 syringes to innoculate and both were from Hawk so I know they were good(I also used the left over l;ater on differant jars and they worked fine.).
Thats why I stopped right then using the Shroom Wizard Tek and havent used it nor recomended it in almost 3 years.His book says steralization is not really needed and that you can just remove the lid in open air and scrape spores in as long as it takes less than 30 seconds!lol what a joke.

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #2563098 - 04/15/04 10:35 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

yes and I used 2 syringes to innoculate and both were from Hawk so I know they were good(I also used the left over l;ater on differant jars and they worked fine.).
Thats why I stopped right then using the Shroom Wizard Tek and havent used it nor recomended it in almost 2 years.His book says steralization is not really needed and that you can just remove the lid in open air and scrape spores in as long as it takes less than 30 seconds!lol what a joke

Mayby he lives in the desert... or on the moon :headbang:

Invisiblesnatchcakes
Rad Dude

Re: Has any one perlite with the PF Tek ? [Re: OJK]
    #2563144 - 04/15/04 10:54 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Odiumjunkie said:

Mayby he lives in the desert... or on the moon :headbang:

:lol:

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2563842 - 04/15/04 01:33 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

His book says steralization is not really needed and that you can just remove the lid in open air and scrape spores in as long as it takes less than 30 seconds

You have got to be shitting me. Telling people stuff like that is just fucked up. I don't think that I've heard one person who has had good success with his methods but telling people stuff like that is wrong to do.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

Invisiblesnatchcakes
Rad Dude

Re: Has any one perlite with the PF Tek ? [Re: Magash]
    #2563903 - 04/15/04 01:42 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Yep now that is in the book I have that he sent me way back when I ordered the jars.
This is what he says on his website:
  While you are doing this it is a good idea to either hold your breath or tie a scarf over your mouth and nose so you don't breathe germs into the jars while the lids are off (about 15 seconds for each jar).  First you will need to take the thumbtack and poke two small holes, one on each side of the jar lid across from each other near the edge (without removing the lid from the jar).Use the cigarette lighter to heat the point of the knife until it is almost red hot and then let it cool back down to room temperature which should take a couple minutes. Making slow moves, to keep from causing a breeze, you can now take the lid off of the first jar and lie it upside down on top of one of the other jars so you will have both hands free. Open your sporeprint, hold it at a sharp angle over the open jar and with the tip of the knife scrape a small amount of spores on top of the substrate in the jar, immediately replace and tighten the lid. Breathe.  Now take one of the paper coffeepot filters, center it on top of the jar lid you just inoculated, fold the excess filter down around the sides of the jar and secure it in place with a rubberband. Repeat this process until you have inoculated all of the jars. As far as how many spores to use; If you can see "any" spores fall into the jar, that is sufficient. It usually takes an area of sporeprint about the size of a match head to inoculate each jar

It seems he has  changed it a bit over the years but i still wouldnt follow his teks.
BTW his "Book"that he sent me with the beat jars is actually just a plastic jacket that you would turn a report into your teacher in,and its just 10 pages photocopied,that he signs.And he sells it for $20!!!! :wtf:

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2563943 - 04/15/04 01:48 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

It seems he has changed it a bit over the years

He may have changed it, never did it, but changed it.

Quote:

BTW his "Book"that he sent me with the beat jars is actually just a plastic jacket that you would turn a report into your teacher in,and its just 10 pages photocopied,that he signs.And he sells it for $20!!!!

He's not friends with the keeper is he?

You want to see the biggest ripoff on earth. This clown prays on noobs. Renames spores then charges up the ass and when I say up the ass I mean up the ass.

Largest rip off on earth. This is old news to most but I thought you'd like to see the prices for a laugh

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals