Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCVIEnergyCore
Tired
 User Gallery
B+ Grow
    #25623304 - 11/18/18 01:52 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

New member to Shroomery. Last time I grew was 10 years ago and I had a cheap grow kit and used the PF Tek. Now I am back and will spawn to bulk substrate. I have

8 qts of colonizing rye berries
15 qt's coir
1 plastic tub. 27in x 14in x 14in

A 3 inch layer of substrate is between 23 quarts of spawn/bulk substrate

Edited by CVIEnergyCore (12/14/18 05:37 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSadTurkey
ayy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Re: B+ Grow [Re: CVIEnergyCore]
    #25623326 - 11/18/18 02:04 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Good that you're getting back into it. Just a couple of questions/comments on your recipe:

What's the purpose of perlite? Perlite is generally not used in bulk substrate in a monotub. Instead it's used to maintain humidity in a shotgun fruiting chamber. You'll want vermiculite for the bulk substrate in monotubs, as vermiculite can hold a lot of water. It's not a must, though.

Cubensis doesn't need a casing layer, so you can simplify it by leaving out the peat. In fact, you can simplify even further by leaving out the worm castings and spawning to either straight coco coir or coco coir with vermiculite. Coir doesn't need to be pasteurized, you can just hydrate it with boiling water in a plastic cooler and be done with it.

OfflineBloomingAlchemy
ShamanLady

#25623371 - 11/18/18 02:25 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SadTurkey said:
Good that you're getting back into it. Just a couple of questions/comments on your recipe:

What's the purpose of perlite? Perlite is generally not used in bulk substrate in a monotub. Instead it's used to maintain humidity in a shotgun fruiting chamber. You'll want vermiculite for the bulk substrate in monotubs, as vermiculite can hold a lot of water. It's not a must, though.

Cubensis doesn't need a casing layer, so you can simplify it by leaving out the peat. In fact, you can simplify even further by leaving out the worm castings and spawning to either straight coco coir or coco coir with vermiculite. Coir doesn't need to be pasteurized, you can just hydrate it with boiling water in a plastic cooler and be done with it.

Yup. This sums up everything I wanted to say too. :grin:

--------------------
Lets keep this sacred medicine alive and well! I embrace the shamans, psychonauts, and alchemists of our time :mushroom2:

OfflineCVIEnergyCore
Tired
 User Gallery
Re: B+ Grow [Re: SadTurkey]
    #25624339 - 11/18/18 11:31 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SadTurkey said:

Good point on the perlite. I was tired when I wrote the post. I meant to type vermiculite. I edited the post. Thanks! :-)

The casing layer is not necessary when growing B+ but I have read that it helps maintain proper moisture within the substrate and avoid excessive moisture loss during fruiting and it stops condensation from building up on the top of the substrate. I read also that limed peat is also very good as a contaminant barrier. Essentially protecting the fruiting substrate. It seems like a new guy to bulk substrate, like myself, casing would actually give me a higher chance of success?

The worm castings are not absolutely necessary but the nutrients in it provide food to the mycelium so it can have energy for a strong pin set and strong additional flushes. Again I have read alot this is what I have read. This is my first monotub

Let me know what you think!

OfflineSadTurkey
ayy
Male User Gallery

#25624612 - 11/19/18 06:21 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

I've never used a casing layer myself, since I like to keep it as simple as possible and cut corners wherever I can. That said, there's more than one way to skin a cat and it seems like you've done your research, so if this feels right you should totally do it.

Same goes for the worm castings. I have no experience with it myself, but I get the impression that more and more growers are moving to bulk substrates containing only coco coir and optionally vermiculite and gypsum. But worm castings is definitely a viable option for bulk subs, so you do you, man.

Good luck! Don't forget to post some pics when you see dem shrooms.

OfflineVibe_Enthusiast
Mushroom Technician
I'm a teapot

Loc: GPS signal lost.. Flag
    #25624820 - 11/19/18 08:42 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Meh, I don't know much. But for all the research and reading I've been doing these past two months, seems as if a casing layer just adds in more into the percent tile of a contamination.

Just going by what people have said.

--------------------
:greyalien:

OfflineCVIEnergyCore
Tired
 User Gallery
Re: B+ Grow [Re: Vibe_Enthusiast]
    #25625129 - 11/19/18 11:29 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the replies. I will go simple my first monotub. A 2 part substrate. Coir and vermiculite. Boiling water pasteurization. No casing layer. I will try the 3 part substrate and a casing layer on the next grow.

Offlinecaptmarc
Noob
 User Gallery
    #25625161 - 11/19/18 11:43 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

just went the simplified method myself, just coir, nothing else.

OfflineCVIEnergyCore
Tired
 User Gallery
Re: B+ Grow [Re: captmarc]
    #25629113 - 11/21/18 02:10 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

No vermiculite?

OfflineCVIEnergyCore
Tired
 User Gallery
    #25638012 - 11/25/18 10:58 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

What to do when one bag colonizes super fast and the other does not? I need to use both bags at the same time for my monotub. Advice or suggestions?

OfflineSadTurkey
ayy
Male User Gallery

#25638195 - 11/25/18 12:30 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

I don't know if it's the reflection of the bag itself, but those grains look pretty wet in both bags. The second bag may be struggling with a contamination if it's lagging so far behind. Can you smell any unusual smells through the filter?

What kind of inoculation did you use? A multispore syringe?

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

#25638395 - 11/25/18 02:23 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

I'd go ahead and start some more bags or jars of spawn, just to be on the safe side incase those stall.

I use only coir and vermiculite, and use a coir and vermiculite casing.  It really does simplify things and is less worrisome in my experience.  as far as worm castings and the like, theres many threads on here proving that your grains have more nutrients than the myc will ever use in its entire life cycle.  For a killer pinset, surface conditions of your sub has been proven to be the number one factor.  All that said, if you have the castings and peat, you might as well use it, right?

good luck

--------------------
Ὡς οὖν εἴπεν αὐτοῖς ὅτι Ἐγώ εἰμι, ἀπῆλθον εἰς τὰ ὀπίσω, καὶ ἔπεσον χαμαί.

OfflineBloomingAlchemy
ShamanLady

Re: B+ Grow [Re: naturalistic123]
    #25638461 - 11/25/18 02:49 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

I would also start more bags or jars. You definitely can't put all your eggs in one basket with this hobby. Theres always a chance that things will get contaminated and stall.

--------------------
Lets keep this sacred medicine alive and well! I embrace the shamans, psychonauts, and alchemists of our time :mushroom2:

OfflineCVIEnergyCore
Tired
 User Gallery
    #25638600 - 11/25/18 03:56 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SadTurkey said:
I don't know if it's the reflection of the bag itself, but those grains look pretty wet in both bags. The second bag may be struggling with a contamination if it's lagging so far behind. Can you smell any unusual smells through the filter?

What kind of inoculation did you use? A multispore syringe?

I used a syringe. I know syringes are hit and miss compared to agar. The bags were purchased sterilized. I haven't tried to smell the bag. I will do that. Must be the bags reflection. Grains appear to have proper moisture.

OfflineCVIEnergyCore
Tired
 User Gallery
    #25638608 - 11/25/18 04:00 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

naturalistic123 said:
I'd go ahead and start some more bags or jars of spawn, just to be on the safe side incase those stall.

I use only coir and vermiculite, and use a coir and vermiculite casing.  It really does simplify things and is less worrisome in my experience.  as far as worm castings and the like, theres many threads on here proving that your grains have more nutrients than the myc will ever use in its entire life cycle.  For a killer pinset, surface conditions of your sub has been proven to be the number one factor.  All that said, if you have the castings and peat, you might as well use it, right?

good luck

I can try the least complicated process initially and perhaps next grow I can use worm castings and casing layers on top. Easy first, hard later. I will have to buy more sterilized rye grain. I haven't decided on mason jars and pressure cookers just yet. I purchase everything.

OfflineCVIEnergyCore
Tired
 User Gallery
Re: B+ Grow [Re: BloomingAlchemy]
    #25638616 - 11/25/18 04:06 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

2 bags of rye grain. Each one is 4 quarts. It's a big loss. I suppose I will have to buy more sterilized grain. I will still see what it does. I have 3 additional spore syringes. Can I or rather should I re-inoculate the bag or will that cause contamination on the mycelium that's already growing in the slow bag?

OfflineXeroX84
chip chip chip und chap
Male

Loc: Europe
    #25638619 - 11/25/18 04:07 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

You can squeeze the bag softly and smell on the filter.
But any thing is happen with it.

OfflineXeroX84
chip chip chip und chap
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: B+ Grow [Re: XeroX84]
    #25638625 - 11/25/18 04:10 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

First do the smell test.
I think its gone....
And then buy a PC dont dropp so much money out 4 bags

Offlinenaturalistic123
Male User Gallery

Re: B+ Grow [Re: XeroX84]
    #25638699 - 11/25/18 04:54 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

It is DEFINATELY worth the money to buy a pressure cooker and jars (and or bags...but I've only ever used jars).  It's understandable to be tight on money, and I would suggest either surfing your local thrift shops for pressure cookers (but these are usually missing some parts, and you'll have to find the parts you need, which is kinda daunting if you don't know anything about them), or just go ahead and drop the 80 dollars on a decent presto pressure cooker.  You'll be able to make up sterilized grains whenever you want to, and it really furthers the enjoyment of the hobby to be involved of all parts of it, and makes things cheaper in the long run.

In short, just get yourself a presto pressure cooker and some jars.  It's worth the money tenfold.

Also, if you don't have qualms NOT using the peat and worm castings, then this is the route i would suggest.  Like you said, do the easy first (which actually turns out to be the cost effective, simplest way which I think you will find you will stick with).

Always feel free to ask any questions here along the way, I remember how grateful I was when I was first learning the ropes here.  Most users on here know their stuff, and are always willing to help.

--------------------
Ὡς οὖν εἴπεν αὐτοῖς ὅτι Ἐγώ εἰμι, ἀπῆλθον εἰς τὰ ὀπίσω, καὶ ἔπεσον χαμαί.

Invisiblenube424
Male

#25638766 - 11/25/18 05:35 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

It really is. My pc was like $30 and its been used... eh hem... maybe 150 times. Well worth it. Bird seed abd jars are cheap as hell too. Ull thank urself.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale