Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemycolojist
strange
Question Re: "The contamination is in the jar if it contaminates before you see mushrooms."
    #25614026 - 11/14/18 12:38 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Stumbled upon this thread in which Bod states "The contamination is in the jar if it contaminates before you see mushrooms."

I've been getting some pre-shroom contamination (green guys). 

Prior to reading this I assumed contams got into the tub when I'm loading the spawn and substrate into the tub. Why?
  • my jars have always looked great
  • my LC to spawn jar process has always seemed much more sterile to me than my jar to tub process.

Questions:
  • How do we know pre-shroom contams originate in jar and weren't introduced during jar to tub?  Is the logic that any contams that get introduced during jar to tub process should be attacked and overwhelmed by the spawn?
  • Is it possible my jars were contam free but my spawn wasn't strong enough to fight off contams introduced during jar to tub process due to senescence?
  • Any suggestions to improve my process (see details below)?  I've increased PC time from 60 to 90 min and started a fresh LC from spores - anything else?

Additional info on my process...

LC Tek:
  • LC that went into tubs that got contams was pretty old - it was created from another LC which was created from the original LC.
  • The original LC was created 18-24 months ago. 
  • Worried about senescence.
  • New jars knocked up today with a fresh LC started from spores.

Jar Tek:
  • LC and Spawn jars have tyvek over gas exchange holes secured by a bead of silicone around the perimeter of the tyvek and silicone injector ports.
  • LC and Spawn jars pc'd in InstantPot 60 min prior to any spores / myc being added (just upped to 90 for batch started today).
  • Syringe needle alcohol and flame sterilized before insertion.
  • Mask worn during insertion.  HVAC turned off prior to insertion.

Substrate Tek: Bod's easy AF bucket tek

Tub Tek: Bod's Unmodified Monotub TEK

Jar to Tub Tek: Bod's instructions in this video

Edited by mycolojist (11/14/18 12:44 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation