Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
Gasifier/Generator - E-bike
    #25584510 - 11/01/18 02:15 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

I want to build a gasifier and a brick maker. The gasifier burns bricks of biomass in an oxygen depleted environment. I will make an advertisement on Craigslist to pick up lawn refuse, grass clippings, leaves, branches, and construction waste like wood scraps or wood from demolition. That way, I get all of my fuel for free. I want to use an e-bike, a cargo bike. If I pick up 100lbs of wood and lawn clippings, that is 100lbs of fuel, right?

I will compress the "syngas" from the gasifier into canisters for use in a regular generator. The generator charges an array of lead acid batteries. The idea is that this is a biomass brick factory. I make bricks all day. The compressor is electric. The brick maker is just a hydraulic car jack, so it is human powered.

When will I do this project? Hopefully next year, but I wanted to share the idea for anybody who is interested in green energy technology. I read an article in the New York Times that claims scientists are pushing for biomass technology because it does not burn fossil fuels releasing ancient stored CO2.

It would actually be kind of dope to make an anarchist collective somewhere. We pick up lawn clippings to charge the batteries to power the TV and some laptops or whatever and we can all ride around on e-bikes listening to punk rock.

Edited by BicycleT (11/01/18 02:21 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Gasifier/Generator - E-bike [Re: BicycleT]
    #25584923 - 11/01/18 04:57 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

What of you broke the cellulose down to sugars, fermented those to bioethanol and used that to power an internal combustion scooter tuned for ethanol?

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Gasifier/Generator - E-bike [Re: Asante]
    #25588754 - 11/03/18 10:17 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Is there some kind of crowd design platform for engineering/hacking like they have for coding? Like GitHub's Atom?

That is feasible technology with its own draw backs(water and fermentation time), and I understand the limitations of chemical electric battery power, mainly "long"(an ebike could be as low 20min) charge times and limited range, but I have some design principals I would like to employ for a micro power plant. This is a series hybrid system. I always say I have these design principles but really I just have this whole thing in my head and I never outline it. So, I only include redundancy, load design, tuning, maybe you have something in addition.
When building begins it would be important to make good documentation. I have 0 experience with micro controller programming but I think I can pick it up pretty easy.

1. Redundancy. Three gas generators. (It can actually be thought of as a parallel-series hybrid)
In order to be more thermally efficient, the engines have to turn off, and I believe that we can more easily tune our stationary engines that have the same load every time they run. If each engine runs for 40min/hr, our engines are "normally on(open(NO))" and heating up, but this is when our secondary load can turn on, like the refrigerator, air conditioning, electric heat, and probably our air compressor for compressing the syngas & active cooling/thermal regeneration of the engines.
If each engine runs for only 20min/hr, the engines are "normally off(closed(NC))" and cooling off, and we are probably only charging our batteries. Ultimately, it would be nice if all three generators were turned off for most of the day.

2. Load Design
It is important to design a good primary and secondary load.

3. Tuning
I have some ideas for tuning small gas engines. I did want to try to heat pump the engines. There is already an air compressor, and I know it is possible to use it to pump heat from the gas engines. My idea was to put each generator into an insulated box and include an array of evacuated solar tubes inside the box. The evacuated tubes are the warm air intake for the compressor.
Ultimately for tuning, the idea is to control the temperature inside the cylinder. So, I also want to include a small electric block heater on each engine. It might also be good to make the engine spark a little hotter.
Without regenerating the thermal energy from these engines, and by using the parallel-series system so that the engines operate in a NC(normally off/closed) fashion, it is probably easy to achieve 30% thermal efficiency not including making the fuel.
If there is a secondary load, and the engines are running in a NO(normally on/open) configuration, running an air compressor to compress the syngas would actually regenerate thermal energy from the engines, by traveling through those evacuated tubes, and it is possible to be more thermally efficient. This will be important for me to prove, because I say this should be an anarchist collective. I already see three gas generators and two air compressors for a proper system, but I can start this thing up with just a single generator. Starting stock could be a generator or an air compressor and this machine is Voltron.

I also want to plan to use calcium cycle technology in the summer time to capture carbon with electrolysis. It would be easy to pipe the exhaust through some lime that is being heated up by a fresnel lens from an old big screen TV and use magnet rotors to separate the carbon from the oxygens.

It would be sweet to buy up condemned houses and to use hand tools to dismantle them and carry the wood and shit back to the club house for fuel and build little energy efficient tiny houses on those lots.

There are three ways your house uses energy, electricity, gas, and water. On my tiny house, I only want it to use electricity. My electric cargo bike would plug into my tiny house when I get there and power the house so I can watch TV and have lights, probably for air conditioning and heat too. Its an electric cargo bike. It is has a big battery, 60ah.

There are showers and laundry at the club house. Plus, we can burn our garbage and our shit.

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25609307 - 11/12/18 11:51 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

I’d like to spend some time talking about some of the better fuel woods up on this list, specifically , Osage Orange (Maclura pomifera). Look at that number again…32.9 million BTU’S per cord. That’s the next best thing to coal! Another paper from the University of Missouri-Columbia stated that Osage Orange would produce 30.7 million Btu/cord. This would equal (and here’s the interesting part) 219.3 gallons of Fuel Oil.

https://www.permaculturereflections.com/top-10-fuel-trees-for-zone-5-and-above/

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25609319 - 11/12/18 11:54 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

This author says that it is not a good idea to grow trees for killing, but I wonder if there is a method of growing trees young for fuel. Can I plant dozens of saplings/cuttings in a greenhouse and take them after one or two years for fuel? If we grow in a greenhouse we can keep the trees growing year round. Like a hardwood Sea of Green. The Dutch grow more vegetables than the US because they grow in greenhouses that are powered by natural gas power plants. The waste heat from the engines warm the greenhouses.

Edited by BicycleT (11/12/18 11:57 AM)

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25609331 - 11/12/18 11:59 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

There are tons of these Osage Orange trees here, anybody want a cutting or a fruit?

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25609371 - 11/12/18 12:14 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

A method of biomass gasification using solar energy produces a higher yield of syngas when compared to traditional combustion methods. The solar-powered biomass gasifier forgoes the traditional method of combusting biomass or fossil fuels and instead uses solar energy to obtain the necessary energy from heat. Using the biomass feedstock as the source of energy to drive the gasification reaction typically consumes 20% to 30% of the original energy content making the gasifier much less efficient. Contrasted against traditional non-solar gasification systems, the solar-powered gasifier produces a 30-50% high yield of fuel per unit feedstock. This new device also outperforms other solar-powered gasifiers by being able to operate at lower temperatures and obtain higher efficiency. The new reactor also has the capability to perform continuously at night. This method of gasification lowers dependency on fossil fuels and produces a more sustainable biofuel.

http://license.umn.edu/technologies/20120099_solar-powered-biomass-gasifier

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25609388 - 11/12/18 12:21 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

I want to install a check valve onto a one gallon metal bucket lid. I will fill it with wood. Then, hook the check valve into a small compressor. I will heat the gallon bucket with a fresnel lens from an old big screen TV to produce the syngas. If 1 pound of wood is worth $3 of energy, that should power my house for a day easily. I should probably make the air compressor solar powered also and plan on only using the gasifier/compressor when there is sun.

This would be a good scale experiment for solar gasification.

Edited by BicycleT (11/12/18 12:25 PM)

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25609409 - 11/12/18 12:28 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25609421 - 11/12/18 12:33 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25609434 - 11/12/18 12:37 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Edited by BicycleT (11/12/18 12:39 PM)

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25609446 - 11/12/18 12:41 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

It would be dope to do some "bicycle homesteading."

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25609466 - 11/12/18 12:50 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25609516 - 11/12/18 01:17 PM (5 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25611363 - 11/13/18 08:14 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25611365 - 11/13/18 08:14 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25611367 - 11/13/18 08:15 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Sorry for the shortness guy’s, but im’ in the lab right now.
First, a modificated mw.oven is not so complicated to construct.
You need a 30cm long and 6cm wide metal pipe, a metal plate (I use a round one with a diam. off 10cm) with a 6cm hole, an mw oven and a ‘hole-drill’
First you solder the pipe to the metal plate (so it look’s like a cylinder glass), then you drill a hole in the inner shell of the oven, stick’s the pipe through the hole, and soldering the plate onto the oven. Then you drill a hole in the outer oven (or throw it away) and put the oven together. That’s it. You can now reflux in your mw oven. (look at my nice drawing, any funny comment’s wont bee accepted)

https://the-hive.archive.erowid.org/forum/showflat.pl?static=1&Cat=&Number=448477

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25611382 - 11/13/18 08:28 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25611389 - 11/13/18 08:31 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

If you do pyrolysis in the microwave, be careful handling the solid waste. It is linked to cancer.

OfflineBicycleT
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #25611393 - 11/13/18 08:34 AM (5 years, 4 months ago)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies